MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Postby O.J. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:27 am

If you're a fan of bourbon barrel stouts, run, don't walk, to your nearest liquor store and pick some up(got some at Trixie's yesterday; they may have some left, but it was going quickly). It's incredibly smooth for 15% ABV, with a great, chewy mouthfeel. A coffee version is apparently going to be released in Chicago in November, then one aged with cherries in rye barrels by the end of the year or early 2013. I certainly hope they make their way up to Madison.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Postby kweetech » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:54 am

Its a great beer for sure..but I'm done with the mad rush to find some fashion beer in stores before some "collector" buys it all up...
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:04 am

kweetech wrote:Its a great beer for sure..but I'm done with the mad rush to find some fashion beer in stores before some "collector" buys it all up...

Bitter beer face!

Shouldn't have to do a lot of rushing, groveling, and scraping to get some BCS for the weekend. Alpine Liquors in Madison and in Oregon each have an allocation of 5 cases, scheduled to arrive today. In addition, Harley's on Cottage Grove got a good bit, and Jenifer Street Market still had a case left on Wednesday. Plus, Star was telling folks on Monday that they hoped to be getting a second shipment today, too.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:09 am

I just had a bottle of the Pere Jacques from Goose island last night, their Belgian style Abbey Ale. It was good, really good. At match made in heaven for my palate. Malty, little fruit, coffee notes on the finish. Awesome for fall weather.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:11 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:I just had a bottle of the Pere Jacques from Goose island last night, their Belgian style Abbey Ale. It was good, really good.

In the last few months, I've gotten used to the idea of seeking out Goose Island's limited release bombers. Tried Juliet, Lolita, and Fleur for the first time this summer, and they were all quite nice. (I rank them first to last in the order I typed them, for the record. Juliet is a tremendous wild sour. Cellaring at least one bottle for next year.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:38 pm

I got my bottle from Steve's. They said that Goose Island made a lot more this year and that they had several cases although they went fast. They also said that they'd probably get some more in on Monday. I haven't had mine yet, but I had last year's version from a restaurant in Chicago last Christmas and it was very, very good.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:51 pm

If the cherry/rye version is basically the Manhattan BCS from Great Taste, then I'll definitely be hunting it down. That was an amazing (small) glass of beer.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Drinkslinger » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:53 pm

kweetech wrote:Its a great beer for sure..but I'm done with the mad rush to find some fashion beer in stores before some "collector" buys it all up...

The BCS is a great beer and all liquor stores did get a lot more than last year. But your right, "collector" beers are being gobbled up and hoarded. Most store do only allow 1 four pack per customer, but out of 8 cases, thats only 48 people.
So for my last 2 cases (at Trixie's), I have decided to break them up and sell them by the bottle, limit 1 per person. Here's a link and hopefully people will be able to get a bottle now...

Cheers!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=363131597104384&set=a.115611018523111.28259.112950025455877&type=1&theater
Drinkslinger

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails