Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest - 2013

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest - 2013

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:43 am

http://www.isthmusbeercheese.com/#vendors

It looks like there are at least a half-dozen more breweries than last year's Fest, and I'm sure there are more to follow(I don't see O'so listed, for one). I also see a couple cheesemakers new to the list.

Well done, Isthmus, well done.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest - 2013

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 pm

It was already so crowded in there, it makes me wonder if more vendors is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with more beer and cheese, but the festival is pretty packed already.

Also, didn't you have to get separate tickets for the food pairing the last 2 years? I didn't see anything about that on the website. I saw the premium tickets and wondered if that's the only way. I went to the chocolate and beer pairing the first year and it was quite interesting.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:25 am

Stebben84 wrote:It was already so crowded in there, it makes me wonder if more vendors is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with more beer and cheese, but the festival is pretty packed already.

Also, didn't you have to get separate tickets for the food pairing the last 2 years? I didn't see anything about that on the website. I saw the premium tickets and wondered if that's the only way. I went to the chocolate and beer pairing the first year and it was quite interesting.

I found it to be a little crowded two years ago, but the extra room last year seemed to help. I don't think you need premium tickets for the food pairings, but those give you a better chance to get them. I've never done the pairings, but the VIP tickets were well worth it for me; that first hour with the limited crowd and special offerings kicks ass.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 am

O.J. wrote: but the extra room last year seemed to help.

I missed last year, so that's good to know.

O.J. wrote: but the VIP tickets were well worth it for me; that first hour with the limited crowd and special offerings kicks ass.

I might have to consider that for this year. Thanks for the info.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Does the Isthmus Publishing Company prohibit people that work at The Isthmus from answering questions that relate to The Isthmus on TDPF? I would think a reply to this thread would be in the event's best interest. But I am just a fat old man in his underwear, eating Cheetos.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:05 am

john_titor wrote:Does the Isthmus Publishing Company prohibit people that work at The Isthmus from answering questions that relate to The Isthmus on TDPF? I would think a reply to this thread would be in the event's best interest. But I am just a fat old man in his underwear, eating Cheetos.

I don't work at Isthmus, but what's the question, exactly? Seems like the crowd's handling things.

If you're looking for information on the 2012 Beer and Cheese Fest, here's a post from Beer Advocate. According to the "road map to deliciousness" posted here before last year's fest, the pairing tickets were $10. I'd say the savvy potential attendee would prepare to shell out a little extra for the pairings -- which, I'll add, are usually worth well over the ticket price in goodies.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 am

I will add that it is a good idea to skip the first pairing of the afternoon. I did the first pairing last year as it was beer and cheese and was free, but when I got out several beers that I wanted to try had already run out. I assume the pairing tickets simply haven't been listed yet but I thought they were sold with the event tickets last year. I'm not certain on this as my tickets were a gift and we only did the free pairing where I just had to email the coordinator beforehand. I'd love to do the VIP tickets, but I had to leave an hour before the end last year as I simply can't drink that much and while the cheese helps, it is usually standing in a rather long line for one cheese curd. Hopefully adding more cheesemakers will help with this.

There was plenty of room last year and I thought it worked rather well. There was even a nice spot in the middle with Ian's pizza and a few other food vendors. I'd love to go again this year if my husband gets the hint and gets me the same gift this time around.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 pm

What's "The Isthmus"?

Pairing ticket information will be available before Christmas, I'm told. Typically, the beer/chocolate pairing requires an additional ticket that costs money. The beer/cheese session has been free, but requires a ticket because it fills up. I'm trying to get specifics, which is why I haven't responded.

Tickets are moving pretty quickly, I'm told. We've sold nearly twice as many by today as we did last year.

When you see me at IBCF, say hey.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:45 pm

I personally would have put a smiley after your initial question but I digress. Thank you for your reply.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:14 pm

So now that the pairings have been announced, where does one sign up for them? I read the article twice but I didn't see anywhere where it said what to do to get into the pairings. And yes, my husband did get the hint and bought tickets for us for Christmas.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey! I wanted to alert all of you, my beloved fans, that I have tickets to go to this for the first time this year and I'm even bringing my little brother.

I am biding my time carefully until the day of the fest. Please be kind to me if I seem excited and/or inebriated at any point.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:49 pm

The pairings are first come/first served and they'll clear the room after each one, so you should just plan on getting to the one you want early. Only those seated will get to eat/drink what they're talking about.

I'm told that we're down to very few tickets left and they might not last until morning.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Good to see Wags and nate at IBCF yesterday, unfortunately my booth duties prevented me from hanging out and sampling as much as I wanted.

Did you all have fun?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 pm

So much fun! Favorite new beer was won easily by Point's hard cider with cinnamon. Also good - the lemon pepper wheat from Woodman brewery, Titletown's Ned Flanders brown ale is a very good sour beer, the meads from Bos were all very good, and Karben4 had a black IPA that was excellent. 3 Sheeps from Sheboygan had good beer all around and Shipwrecked had a good cherry wheat. My favorite was the Saison from Hinterland, but I'd had that before. Best cheese was something that La Claire was giving out but I didn't catch the name of it.

My few constructive criticisms - water stations could have been more spread out and it would have been good to have buckets next to them to make it easier to rinse glasses. More of the cheese places should sell their cheese instead of just having samples. And more cheese and chocolate and meat places would be great! By 3pm every cheese place had a long line as the beer drinkers were learning they should eat something between drinks.

Oh, and my only real issue was getting a cab leaving the fest. I left early last year and had no problems but this year I stayed later and it was a mess out there. Waiting patiently near the door was getting me nowhere as too many people would jump in front of me whenever a cab came close. I did finally manage to get one headed in my direction after calling but it was at least a half hour running around in the cold.
Athena
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails