Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
shriners
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

House of Cider - Black Dragon

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

House of Cider - Black Dragon

Postby Drinkslinger » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Cider House of Wisconsin, out of McFarland has just released "Black Dragon," the states first micro cider. (Yes, Cider Boys was made by Point Brewery, but...). This is a 6.5% ABV cider made with WI apples. They have served cider before at festivials including the GTMW and also make a great Apple Brandy. After many requests, they have begun bottling.
This is a limited first batch, with only 6 cases being released. Jennifer St Market, Star Liquor and Trixie's Liquor each got 2 cases. Please check them out, support a local business and welcome Wisconsin 1st micro cider!

Here's a link to a photo:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trixies-Liquor-Store/112950025455877#!/photo.php?fbid=429819640435579&set=a.115611018523111.28259.112950025455877&type=1&theater
Cheers!
Drinkslinger

Re: House of Cider - Black Dragon

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 am

Bought a fourpack today for ten bucks.

Sorry. Don't like it. Magner's is still the one to beat. And it's ten bucks a six.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:35 am

I tried this at the Great Taste and liked it a good deal, though at that stage of the afternoon I was liking a lot of things.

I've also had a dry cider from Stockholm, WI: Maiden Rock. My father picked up a few bottles from Brennan's and although I'm not usually a cider drinker I enjoyed it.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rogue » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 am

Wisonsin's first micro cider? What about ÆppelTreow out of Burlington, WI? They've been around for years.
rogue

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:26 am

rogue wrote:Wisonsin's first micro cider? What about ÆppelTreow out of Burlington, WI? They've been around for years.

ÆppelTreow is number one in my book, but pricey enough that I can't buy it on a regular basis.

My go-to is still a four pack of Crispin tall boys. I think Miller-Coors may have their dirty little fingers in the company now, but I don't care. So freakin' good.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 am

Okay, we have one person who tried it at Great Taste but unless I'm missing something, nobody but me has tried it out of the bottle.

I could have gotten a bad one I suppose.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

rabble wrote:Okay, we have one person who tried it at Great Taste but unless I'm missing something, nobody but me has tried it out of the bottle.

I could have gotten a bad one I suppose.

Should have mentioned, yeah, I've had it too. Our rep brought it in.

Nothing special. Too sweet for me. The market is flooded with ciders right now so I don't think it holds its own yet.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:25 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:Nothing special. Too sweet for me. The market is flooded with ciders right now so I don't think it holds its own yet.

-Dan Motor

Sweet?

Okay that must mean I got a bad fourpack. There's a lot of words I'd use to describe that taste but "sweet" is most definitely NOT one of them.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am

rabble wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:Nothing special. Too sweet for me. The market is flooded with ciders right now so I don't think it holds its own yet.

-Dan Motor

Sweet?

Okay that must mean I got a bad fourpack. There's a lot of words I'd use to describe that taste but "sweet" is most definitely NOT one of them.

Maybe not. Have you had ÆppelTreow?

Dry almost on par with a decent dry white wine.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Maybe not. Have you had ÆppelTreow?

-Dan Motor

No but I've had crispin, several flavors of woodchuck, Magners, Angry Orchard, and I think a few others. I like cider.

To date, Magners is the driest of the bunch and is the only brand I like to have more than one of and goes good with a meal. All the others are too sweet.

Black Dragon was not sweet, nor dry. I've been holding back on my description but the first word that comes to mind is "bitter." I took a swig and pursed my mouth and held the bottle out and scowled at it. Now that anyone has called it "sweet" I can't believe I got a representative sample.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rogue » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:54 pm

They had ÆppelTreow on tap at the Malt House on Monday. Dry as hell. My favorite as well.
rogue

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:23 pm

rabble wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:Maybe not. Have you had ÆppelTreow?

-Dan Motor

No but I've had crispin, several flavors of woodchuck, Magners, Angry Orchard, and I think a few others. I like cider.

To date, Magners is the driest of the bunch and is the only brand I like to have more than one of and goes good with a meal. All the others are too sweet.

Black Dragon was not sweet, nor dry. I've been holding back on my description but the first word that comes to mind is "bitter." I took a swig and pursed my mouth and held the bottle out and scowled at it. Now that anyone has called it "sweet" I can't believe I got a representative sample.

Now that is strange as hell. I'm going to do some "research" tonight.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails