MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Racer 5

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Racer 5

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 29, 2013 7:15 pm

All this tak about binge drinking got me thirsty. So I took the short walk to the Zuzu to buy a sixer of one of my usuals. But lo and behold, they now carry a few selections from the Bear Republic. My laser-like vision honed onto their Racer 5.

My betters on Beer Advocate and Real Beer rate it a near perfect IPA. It's now my new favorite. At little over ten bucks I it won't be a binge drink for me, especially with its ABV.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Racer 5

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed May 29, 2013 8:15 pm

I find it curious that you established a new favorite so quickly. I'm not sure I could do so for myself without a lot of A/B testing (and B/C, C/A...). I guess I don't really do favorites in general. I've been wanting to try the Racer 5 though.

Your laser eyeballs "homed" onto the beer, not "honed", right? Like a pigeon, not like a whetstone.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Yes, homed would have been a better choice of words.

I find a new favorite every couple of months or so. It's more of an art than a science.

So have you tried Racer 5 yet? Maybe you don't like IPAs.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed May 29, 2013 8:40 pm

I like IPAs for sure, but I haven't had a Racer 5. I ordered one once at a bar (the Mason?) and the keg had just run out so I was out of luck. Since then it's seemed like a forbidden fruit or something. I really haven't gone out of my way to look for it though.

While IPA is probably my favorite style of beer and the type that I drink most, I don't experience much variation in enjoyment going from one brand/brew to another. I'll compare a Stone, Red Hook, Lakefront, or Goose Island IPA (among others) and enjoy all of them about the same. I think that the double or imperial varieties are a bit too sweet, I prefer mine to be dry. I used to really enjoy New Glarus' IPA, Hop Hearty(?), when it was available, but it seemed distinct to me, different from the standard IPA taste, maybe more malty. I liked it better than the black IPA they are selling now. Karben 4 has that black IPA that seems to be a good seller - Silk Scorpion. I thought it was interesting but not worth going out there again.

I like Hopalicious very much. While it's not labeled as an IPA, it's a fine stand-in in most circumstances.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed May 29, 2013 9:25 pm

That stuff is the dank.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby UsualSuspect » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:13 pm

You know, I WANT to like Racer 5, esp since it is from the Bear Republic as am I.
But wow is it unbalanced. Brewers be goin nuts with this super IPA stuff. I think brewers get bored, personally, then they make more and more outlandish stuff. It is way hoppy and malty sweet. Is it technically a double IPA?
UsualSuspect

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails