MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Surly Coffee Bender Brown Ale

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Surly Coffee Bender Brown Ale

Postby david cohen » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:44 pm

My oldest son had a gig at U of M last night so I went out in the cities for some pre-show digs. I quaffed 2 pints of this last night at the Smack Shack in Minneapolis. GREAT stuff, went well with my lobster roll and raw oysters. Serdiks was out of it, as were the other 4 stores I checked on my way back to the UM campus...lo and behold, I found a place (france44) that ships Surly products to Wisconsin. You're welcome in advance:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Surly Coffee Bender Brown Ale

Postby kimm » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Surly is GREAT. Consistently great beers in an otherwise mediocre microbrew market.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:30 pm

kimm wrote:Surly is GREAT. Consistently great beers in an otherwise mediocre microbrew market.

Yeah, aside for football, the microbrew scene may be the only thing Wisconsin is better at than Minnesota (see WI v. MN thread).
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby UsualSuspect » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Man, we are in the GOLDEN AGE of micros here in Madison, and indeed Wisconsin. How many breweries in Madison are out there? Capitol, Vintage, One Barrel, Karbon 4, Ale Asylum, The Dane of course, Blair St Brew and BBQ is gone, I think, Granite City (weak chain IMHO), House of Brews, Next Door, am I forgetting any?
That's 9 by my count. GOLDEN, I tells ya!
UsualSuspect

Postby wallrock » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:33 am

One of my biggest disappointments of my trip up to Minneapolis for the Axe Game this part weekend was by inability to stock up on Surly products on our way back. Stupid goddamn Minnesota blue laws.

I'm quite impressed with the quality of the Twin Cities micro scene. There are a number of newer breweries in the Metro in addition to Surly (Lucid, Boom Island, Bad Weather, and Big Wood to name a few) that are making very good beer. My group went to Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery after the game and it was one of the better brewpub experiences I've had.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:54 am

wallrock wrote:One of my biggest disappointments of my trip up to Minneapolis for the Axe Game this part weekend was by inability to stock up on Surly products on our way back. Stupid goddamn Minnesota blue laws.

I'm quite impressed with the quality of the Twin Cities micro scene. There are a number of newer breweries in the Metro in addition to Surly (Lucid, Boom Island, Bad Weather, and Big Wood to name a few) that are making very good beer. My group went to Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery after the game and it was one of the better brewpub experiences I've had.

I think Surly is OK and Big Wood is pretty solid. I don't think their beer scene really rivals ours so far, but, it's definitely catching up.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Steel Toe, Indeed, and Fulton are all worth a deep dive.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Fulton's great. Love the Lonely Blonde.

Had an Indeed Pilsner at Barrio last Friday. Pretty snappy.

Got to taste the whole Surly line-up at an event last year. Not my bag.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails