MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Napa Valley of Beer?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Napa Valley of Beer?

Postby massimo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Narco's Curmudgeon thread has me feeling all Curmudgeonly today, so I would like to go ahead and hate on this article about promoting beer tourism in Wisconsin.

Napa Valley isn't just some random place where a lot of wine is made. It's a place of remarkable natural beauty where the growing conditions are just so, producing world-class fruit for wine-making. Tour the vineyard, feel the sun on your face, relax on a patio and sample, then drive 10 minutes down the road and do it again. Take note of the subtle differences brought about by changes in soil, microclimate, geography.

Madison is, essentially, a random place where a lot of beer is made. Sit on a chair inside Ale Asylum and sample a variety of beer styles from around the globe, each having little or nothing to do with your location (ah, I detect a distinct jet fuel note in this Kolsch). Drive down Packers and E. Wash. to the Great Dane, and sample more beers made with pellet hops from Idaho. Oh, the hops are from near Spring Green, the barley from Chilton? That's great, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I love beer and brew beer, and love the beers brewed here in WI, but I see no reason why anyone would want to tour breweries here in Wisconsin if they weren't coming here for some other reason already.

Now I feel too curmudgeonly, far be it from me to discourage anyone from making an effort to put Wisconsin up there with Belgium or Bavaria.

The article mentions cheese. Now that is something Wisconsin can lay claim to. Too bad "cheese tourism" isn't really a thing?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails