MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Are Madisonians The Only Intelligent People On The Planet?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

What's up with these "non-Madison" idiots?

Everyone outside of Madison is stupid
11%
Everyone who feels the need to tell us that they don't live in Madison is stupid
21%
Everyone is stupid, period... Madisonians are just a bit less stupid
53%
Everyone who posts from outside Madison happens to be stupid, but it's mostly just dumb luck
16%

Total votes : 19

Are Madisonians The Only Intelligent People On The Planet?

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:47 pm

What gives? Dennis the Menace from D.C. (remember the guy who said that SUV owners were helping the environment by paying all those extra gas-tax dollars?) D'OH!

The Big Dumb (BDWG) and his parading troupe of Jeepin'.com buddies. The Big Dumb told us he was a successful businessman from Texas who drove a Mercedes... it turned out he lived in an eastern Michigan trailer park and drove a Jeep. Surprised?

One of Madison's finest ex-patriots is in the big town now, but the horrible scars left by Madison's liberals drew him back via the internet. Ned Flanders is his name and vaccuous and unapologetic cheerleading for the Bush Administration is his game. Hoorah!

Mr. rightwing hunter man who came for, apparently, one reason and one reason alone. To shoot cats. He lost. And then he left.

Pkram and his gaggle of Green Bay goons have one hell of a time putting a sentence together without it collapsing under the weight of their poor logic, mispellings, and utter failure to punctuate. Grammar police? Not really, but sometimes I honestly can't seem to figure out what pkram's sentences are supposed to mean.

Are we just horribly unlucky or is someone sending these folks to argue with us just to make sure things are "balanced" here in Madison? Really, you couldn't come up with a more incompetent group of morons even if you combed through a Britney Spears concert looking for hillbillies.

MAW! GET OFF THE DANG ROOF!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marge » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:47 pm

As a Madison expatriate, I take issue.
Just because all the dumbasses on this board seem to be from outside madison doesn't mean that people from outside madison are dumbasses. That's the error of the converse.
I.e.
IF ((foron) AND (dumbass)) THEN NOT(madisonian)
Does not imply
IF (NOT(madisonian) AND (foron)) THEN (dumbass)
Marge
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nigel » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:56 pm

Wow, people here always claimed that unlike other towns and cities, Madison was the greatest and most tolerant place ever! I would not like to see the opposite of that!

Keep up this great idea Madison.
Nigel

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:14 pm

Marge, I took pj's post as tounge in cheek, he does seem after to have quite a sardonic sense of humor. But I could be wrong.

Nigel, I understand how you could find this elitist and be offended. Probably why most people outside of Madison hate Madison. But I do think it was sarcasm.

That being said, Madison is tolerant. We're tolerant of misfits and those who grew tired of being surronded by idiots. Considering, these days, seems like idiots are the majority and running the show, that's tolerance of quite a minority. I'd also keep your jealously of Madisonians induced anger in check, not pretty.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:38 pm

Sure it's tongue in cheek, but not really sarcasm... more like hyperbole. Rabbit, you haven't noticed that our visitors from other planets tend to be complete ijits? It's the fuckin' war of the worlds in here, fer chrissakes! I'd have more success arguing with a wall than trying to explain why Democrats "don't hate the troops" to the average pop-in foron. I know that there are intelligent and fair-minded conservatives out there (I know a few) but the class of Republican that shows up on the DP ranges from KKK thugs to "do anything but talk about the facts" imbeciles (I'm lookin' at you, Ned).

What do we have to do to get a real argument around here, as opposed to one focussed solely on why America's "Looney Left" is ruining our country and BTW, Clinton's penis? Surely someone can articulate our reasons for world domination without couching it in "they hate us for our freedom." It seems like dogmeat is the only sane Republican on the planet sometimes.

I can agree to disagree sometimes, but you're going to have to articulate some argument that seems semi-rational.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:40 pm

Marge wrote:As a Madison expatriate, I take issue.
Just because all the dumbasses on this board seem to be from outside madison doesn't mean that people from outside madison are dumbasses.

Well, you must be of the "dumb luck" persuasion. That's the way I voted, but apparently you voted otherwise (or not at all).
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:04 pm

I'm thinking Madisonians ARE actually pretty tolerant, with the exception of not suffering fools very well.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lunatic fringe » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:23 pm

My user name says it all. I chose it the month we moved to the country(far enough away but still within striking distance). Wanting to stay connected, I found the Isthmus website and registered to the board. It was a different board back then too. Smaller, funnier. It's not the size, it's how you use it.

At the time I thought I was completely nuts for leaving downtown. Now I wouldn't consider coming back.

In my opinion, Madison's rep is riding it's own shirt tail on a much cooler time. Way back when, Madison was a very cool place. Today, ah, not so much, but the memory and the reputation hangs on.

I take that back a little, there are still some real great gems in Madison that I'd never talk about on this board.
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lunatic fringe » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:39 pm

Billy Shears wrote:I'm thinking Madisonians ARE actually pretty tolerant, with the exception of not suffering fools very well.

What does the phrase "not suffering fools very well" mean?
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:58 pm

lunatic fringe wrote:
Billy Shears wrote:I'm thinking Madisonians ARE actually pretty tolerant, with the exception of not suffering fools very well.

What does the phrase "not suffering fools very well" mean?

It's another term for Madison's famous intolerance.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:59 pm

lunatic fringe wrote:What does the phrase "not suffering fools very well" mean?

http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/sufferfoolsg.html

http://www.robertfulford.com/SufferFools.html

I like the second one. :wink:
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:38 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

It's another term for Madison's famous intolerance.

Guilty as charged. I'm an intolerant asshole because I don't much care for ignorant cretins turned internet trolls. I'm an intolerant asshole because for once I'd like to see Ned participate in an honest discussion without turning it into a partisan bickerfest. Example?

jammybastard wrote:Ebbers gets 25 years. which is essentially a death sentence due to his age. The problem is that he is one guy in a mob of many who pimped this stock and mislead the public. No compensation for all the people who lost their money.

Note that jammy made no political statements at all, but rather lamented the fact that many investors lost alot of money due to Ebbers dishonesty. Ned's reply?

Ned Flanders wrote:Thank god these Clinton-era crooks are finally being brought to justice.

Ned, you're nothing but an ignorant troll. A half-wit on a good day. You couldn't argue your way out of a banana split in a room full of five year olds.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:06 pm

Billy Shears wrote:

http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/sufferfoolsg.htmGuil

http://www.robertfulford.com/SufferFools.html

I like the second one. :wink:

I believe there are at least 2 different kind of fools. Ignorant fools and crazy fools. I tend to gravitate towards crazy fool, and may very well be a member of that club.

Thanks for the links Billy, I too like the second one. Plenty of gems I'll keep coming back too.

I especially like this....

Which leaves a question: Who, in the history of the world, ever did suffer fools gladly? Well, Shakespeare did, obviously. Since he gave them so many roles, he must have liked having them around. Others, less great, may enjoy fools as part of the human comedy, perhaps bearing in mind that all of us are fools sometimes, some of us fools often. In fact, I live in hope of reading someday an obituary that says: "He was wise and talented, greatly accomplished, and much admired, above all for his ability to suffer fools gladly."
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marge » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:36 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Marge, I took pj's post as tounge in cheek, he does seem after to have quite a sardonic sense of humor. But I could be wrong.

That's the sense I took it too, and I was just digging back. I'm bored to tears at work and get my entertainment from stirring the pot a little bit on the forum.
Marge
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:58 pm

Tolerant?
I'm pretty sure I saw two guys holding hands on State Street Saturday.
Grrrls have pretty much had that wrapped up for years, so that's progress.
And I'm very tolerant.
I don't kill people all the time.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com