MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Attribution

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Attribution

Postby sjbarlament » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:21 am

Just wondering out loud here...

When Madison Miscellany links to State Journal blog entries, entries are attributed to "[Name] at Wisconsin State Journal"; when it links to Cap Times blog entries, the entries are attributed to "[Name] at The Capital Times"; but when it links to Post blog entries, the entries are attributed to "[Name] at Cap. Newspapers."

So what's the deal? Especially given the fact that Post bloggers are, by and large, completely unaffiliated with Capital Newspapers, this seems like a pretty clear case of misattribution -- or at the very least, misaffiliation.

Am I missing something?
sjbarlament

Re: Attribution

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:24 pm

sjbarlament wrote:Post bloggers are, by and large, completely unaffiliated with Capital Newspapers

To the general public, the term Post doesn't mean much (not that it won't in a few years).

But if someone is blogging on the Capital Newspapers website, are they not affiliated with Capital Newspapers? Are you trying to suggest that Post is not a Capital Newspapers and, by extension, Lee Enterprises product?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sjbarlament » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:28 pm

But if someone is blogging on the Capital Newspapers website, are they not affiliated with Capital Newspapers? Are you trying to suggest that Post is not a Capital Newspapers and, by extension, Lee Enterprises product?

Well -- and believe it or not, I'm not trying to be snotty here -- madison.com is not "the Capital Newspapers website." You can find that at capitalnewspapers.com.

Madison.com is a website (yes, one that is owned and operated by Capital Newspapers, which is half-owned by the Wisconsin State Journal, which in turn is a division of Lee Enterprises) that gets its content from a number of different providers -- the State Journal, the Cap Times, and WKOW, to name a few. Post is the user-generated-content side of madison.com, and it too serves as a content provider for the site overall.

Post bloggers, for the most part, have no more relationship to Capital Newspapers than Nick at Miss the Signpost has to Blogger. If you were to use the logic you're suggesting you use for attributing blog entries to bloggers at Post in attributing blog entries to other local bloggers, wouldn't "Nick at Miss the Signpost," for instance, be "Nick at Blogger"?
sjbarlament

Postby sjbarlament » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:51 pm

And I guess the next logical question would be: Why go with "'Nick' @ Miss the Signpost," or even "Ivan Mairesse @ Cap. Newspapers," yet also choose "Brad Vogel" instead of "Brad V @ Letters in Bottles"?
sjbarlament

Postby sjbarlament » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:04 am

So...

Are you ignoring me, Jason? Or have you just not had the time to respond?
sjbarlament

Postby sjbarlament » Tue May 01, 2007 2:24 pm

All right, then. I'll just assume it's the former.
sjbarlament

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 01, 2007 3:09 pm

Y'know, a great way to get me to respond is to send me an email. That way you can be sure I'll read it. I've got a few items on my plate and I don't keep up with Forum like I used to.

As for the issue here, you're comparing apples and oranges or blogs and for-profit corporate media websites. When a single blogger writes on a site of his or her own (named by him or her), the name of the site isn't nearly as important as the name of the blogger for attribution purposes. Often, the blogs we link to feature two or more writers, in which case an '@' sign is warranted.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sjbarlament » Tue May 01, 2007 3:25 pm

Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

But I still think it's a misattribution to say that Ivan Mairesse, for instance, has a blog "@ Cap. Newspapers." The proper name of the space in which Ivan's blog -- which is his own, by the way, and it's called "Playtime with Grumpus" -- is published is "Post" (and not, to be clear, "Cap. Newspapers").

Failing that, you could call it "madison.com" (since you don't think Post means anything in the market), which is the actual name of the site on which all Post content appears.
sjbarlament

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 01, 2007 4:47 pm

Ah, but would Post, by any other name, still smell as sweet?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 01, 2007 4:58 pm

I don't know about sweet, but something tells me it would still smell.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sjbarlament » Tue May 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Right. Well, thanks for keeping it civil, Jason -- if not exactly respectful.

And thanks for joining in, Chuck. Classy as always.
(Or, as a good friend of mine often used to say, "Zing!")
sjbarlament

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed May 02, 2007 10:09 am

sjbarlament wrote:And thanks for joining in, Chuck. Classy as always.

Class is subjective.

But yeah, I realize Big Media should be above reproach. Christ knows nothing Madison Newspapers prints is ever the inch-filler equivalent of a cheap shot.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 02, 2007 12:06 pm

Postscript on Post: I'm told that they'll publish next week as usual, but then go to monthly instead of weekly.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed May 02, 2007 12:14 pm

jjoyce wrote:Postscript on Post: I'm told that they'll publish next week as usual, but then go to monthly instead of weekly.
It makes more sense for it to be monthly anyway. How much good blogging can there be in Madison in 1 week anyway (of course The Daily Page is an exception to that)....
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 02, 2007 12:24 pm

There's a substantial amount of really good blogging in Madison, but only a fraction of bloggers are anxious to publish their stuff under the banner of Capital Newspapers. Also, blogging is a much more flexible and immediate medium than print. Getting the two to work together is often difficult.

I enjoy reading some things on that site, but I read the site, not the paper... and I'm not one of these web guys who has given up paper entirely.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com