MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, March 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

"Wild on State Street"

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

"Wild on State Street"

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue May 08, 2007 2:45 pm

Really? You send a thirty-something, gay, teetotaler on a pub crawl up State Street and expect an interesting article? Really?

The entire article reads like instructions on how to install batteries in a smoke detector (First, I went to one bar where I didn't drink and didn't interact with anyone; next, I went to another bar where I didn't drink and I didn't interact with anyone, etc.) Where is the insight, pertinent analysis, or accute observations?

There was absolutely nothing substantive or interesting about this article other than the author's creppy penchant for eavesdropping. You can do better Isthmus.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... ticle=6508
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Thusnelda » Tue May 08, 2007 3:29 pm

I disliked this article for a different reason. This is the second time in recent memory that you've used Ken's pubcrawling articles as front page material. Is it really that slow for news, or anything else mildly interesting to those of us who found coreweekly similarly flat?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed May 09, 2007 11:12 am

I'm still waiting for that call, Isthmus.
I at least would have observed that, with all the fake tans and jukebox selections, State Bar is a gay bar for straight people.
Oh, and drink.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Wild on State Street"

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 09, 2007 11:22 am

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Really? You send a thirty-something, gay, teetotaler on a pub crawl up State Street and expect an interesting article?

Yes, imagine the vistas of insight that would have opened up to me if only I dated women.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed May 09, 2007 11:32 am

Kenneth Burns wrote: Yes, imagine the vistas of insight that would have opened up to me if only I dated women.

Imagine the vistas of insight if you weren't the creepy old guy in the corner with a notepad, avoiding talking to people upon whom you are attempting to make commentary.

I apologize if my comment implied that your sexual orientation in any way hindered your ability to make accute observations. My statement should be read, instead, to state that your lack of skill and insight--in addition to a crummy pitch or poor assignment--precluded the creation of an interesting article.

Alexis De Toquiville you are not.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 09, 2007 11:54 am

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Alexis De Toquiville you are not.

At least "De Toquiville" and I used our real names.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed May 09, 2007 12:01 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:At least "De Toquiville" and I used our real names.

Given the quality of your last piece, you might want to reconsider.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 09, 2007 12:06 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:At least "De Toquiville" and I used our real names.

Given the quality of your last piece, you might want to reconsider.

Well played, sir or madam.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madkitkat » Wed May 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Kenneth Burns, you're better than this!
Yes, you can make even battery installation instructions on a smoke alarm sound mildly entertaining, but this doesn't mean you should write about it.

On a side note, no one under 22 even bothers with the majority of State St. bars. You hit 22 or 23, and the "Pube" days are just over. (Unless you're one of those creepy guys sitting by the window, of course).
madkitkat
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Wed May 09, 2007 1:13 pm

madkitkat wrote:On a side note, no one under 22 even bothers with the majority of State St. bars. You hit 22 or 23, and the "Pube" days are just over. (Unless you're one of those creepy guys sitting by the window, of course).

What do you base that on? At 27 I'm in the middle of the pack of my grad school colleagues, and we drink at State St. bars constantly, and often encounter others of our own age. There are certainly some undergrad meat markets to avoid, but I wouldn't call it the majority by any stretch.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 09, 2007 3:01 pm

I'm disappointed for a different reason. Any respectable piece about state a street bar crawl requires mentioning the moment where you use the sax player at ben & jerry's as a gauge of whether it's safe to continue drinking. If the music is still bad, continue on. If it sounds good, head immediately to detox.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed May 09, 2007 3:33 pm

TAsunder wrote:I'm disappointed for a different reason. Any respectable piece about state a street bar crawl requires mentioning the moment where you use the sax player at ben & jerry's as a gauge of whether it's safe to continue drinking. If the music is still bad, continue on. If it sounds good, head immediately to detox.

That is precisely the type of insight the article needed in order to be relevant/humorous, and one which our teetotaling friend, bereft of altered state and disinclined to speak to others, could not provide.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby square » Wed May 09, 2007 4:04 pm

What do you suppose the reading audience is of the Isthmus? While I personally could give better insight into the complexities of a State Street Bar Crawl than the article in question provided, maybe that wasn't the perspective that the paper needs. If the reading audience of the Isthmus averages 30 years old, college educated with kids, and past the point of total inebriation every weekend, then perhaps the perspective needs to come from someone of their ilk to interest those who typically read the paper. I have no idea the demographics of the Isthmus reading audience. Just sayin, s'all.
square
Forum Addict

Postby CDDM » Wed May 09, 2007 4:46 pm

I agree with the start of this thread. The article was more about someone poking their head into a bar, noting how it looked, and then walked to the next one.

There should have been a group of random people who ranged in age from 21-35 (or whatever the demographic age range is). They each give a brief bio/background at the beginning of the article, so we have an idea of whose perspective we are reading about.

Then the start on a mission to hit one bar and one drink every half hour, or at least a new bar every half hour for those with a low tolerance. They all go out together and are encourage to interact with the patrons of each establishment, and then write a brief paragraph about said bar.

Each paragraph should be confidential to the others in the group, so we could then read in the article what each different person thought of each bar.

I'm not a reporter, but it's just an idea I have.
CDDM

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 09, 2007 5:31 pm

I'm grateful for everyone's feedback. Keep reading Isthmus.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com