MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

"Wild on State Street"

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby blunt » Wed May 09, 2007 5:43 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I'm grateful for everyone's feedback.

Which should help render Isthmus more relevant than Parade.
The Isthmus has changed since 1978.
Even the fonts are diffeent!
But every now and then it needs a kick in its aging politico-hippy butt.
Last edited by blunt on Fri May 11, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 09, 2007 5:53 pm

blunt wrote:Which should help render Isthmus more relevant Parade.

Gots to have m'Walter Scott's Personality Parade.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu May 10, 2007 10:49 am

square wrote:What do you suppose the reading audience is of the Isthmus? . . . If the reading audience of the Isthmus averages 30 years old, college educated with kids . . . then perhaps the perspective needs to come from someone of their ilk to interest those who typically read the paper.

According to this very website, the average age of Isthmus readers breaks down as follows:

18-24 -- 16.9%
25-34 -- 23.6%
35-44 -- 21.8%
45-54 -- 19.9%
55+ -- 17.8%

Of those percentages, 94% had come college education, and 73% obtained a college degree. Five percent of the audience identified as "student." I am their target market and I found this article antithetical to the very notion of a pub crawl.

Anyone who attended college (or even those who didn't) has experienced a pub crawl or is at least familiar with the concept enough to know that people progress from bar to bar getting ginned. Moreover, a greater percentage of the Ishmus readership is either from Madison or went to school here so is familiar with pub crawling up State Street specifically.

This article neither upheld the spirit of the experience or accurately described the process (unless you were going on an architectural tour of the pubs -- undoubtedly a future Isthmus "scoop.")

This article failed to capture either a generic pub crawl (since the author doesn't drink) or the idiosyncrasies of a State Street pub crawl. So why run it?
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Thu May 10, 2007 11:18 am

I suppose there are some who would find it interesting to hear the perspective of someone sober. Since I don't go to bars to not drink, it didn't hold a lot of interest for me.

It would be entertaining, albeit challenging, to write an article while imbibing. I seem to recall an article like that appeared in the past year or two. I think the emphasis on that one was more on hooking up than drinking, however.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri May 11, 2007 11:32 am

gargantua wrote:It would be entertaining, albeit challenging, to write an article while imbibing.

See:
all my posts.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri May 11, 2007 11:38 am

blunt wrote:
gargantua wrote:It would be entertaining, albeit challenging, to write an article while imbibing.

See:
all my posts.

When I was in school I entertained the notion that I would produce my best writing shitfaced. You know, like Bukowski. Turned out I wasn't Bukowski, and writing shitfaced proved a reliable way of producing terrible copy or no copy at all. YMMV.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Fri May 11, 2007 12:02 pm

I took a chemistry exam after smoking hash. Did pretty well, too.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri May 11, 2007 5:19 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
blunt wrote:

See:
all my posts.

When I was in school I entertained the notion that I would produce my best writing shitfaced. You know, like Bukowski. Turned out I wasn't Bukowski, and writing shitfaced proved a reliable way of producing terrible copy or no copy at all. YMMV.

What.
Are.
You.
Saying.............:
That your writing is best sober or that mine sucks?

(when will people realize I'm full of shit and almost everything I write is a ricochet)
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri May 11, 2007 5:31 pm

blunt wrote:(when will people realize I'm full of shit and almost everything I write is a ricochet)

(when will blunt realize that we've all already realized this)
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri May 11, 2007 5:50 pm

blunt wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:
blunt wrote:

See:
all my posts.

What.
Are.
You.
Saying.............:
That your writing is best sober or that mine sucks?

(when will people realize I'm full of shit and almost everything I write is a ricochet)

I can only speak for myself. But imagine how good your writing would be if I were drunk.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri May 11, 2007 5:59 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
I can only speak for myself. But imagine how good your writing would be if I were drunk.

OK...best line of the week.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com