MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

New Movie Times

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

New Movie Times

Postby jjoyce » Thu May 10, 2007 3:01 pm

Check out the movie times in the paper this week and let us know what you think, would ya?

The addition of six new screens has forced an examination of the form, but we're eager for feedback and aren't married to this new version.

Of course, Movie Times on TDP continues to allow for searching by film or theater... whatever you want.

We're accomodating like that.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Thu May 10, 2007 7:15 pm

I much preferred the listing by theater for the movie times. I would usually look to see what was playing at Westgate and then use that to decide which movie profile to read. Often when going out to eat, I'd just tear out that little section to take a long so I'd know which movies were starting soon.
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu May 10, 2007 7:54 pm

I respectfully request you go back to the old way. It was much more reader-friendly. It's a real chore now to figure out what's playing when at specific theaters. If my experience is typical, people want this information fast. The way it's done this week make that impossible.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Fri May 11, 2007 10:43 am

On first glance, I kinda like it. All the info (title, review, location, time) on a movie in one place is nice if you want to see a specific movie instead of go to a particular place.

As Jason said, you can still sort by theater on the web.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri May 11, 2007 11:50 am

In my professional life one of the things I do is counsel people on what media to use to deliver their message.

I always ask my clients, "How are people going to use this information? And not in some abstract 'to empower themselves' sense, but in the most concrete terms possible - is this something they are going to want to touch, to feel, to carry in their hands?"

When people are not rushed for time, they may indeed want to peruse thumbnail descriptions of films currently playing, in order to determine whether they want to see that particular film or not.

But when they are rushed for time, and they just want to see what time a particular film is playing in a particular theater, are they really going to want to fire up their computer, navigate to a website, and then sort on the appropriate data field?

I submit that from a basic information engineering perspective you have these two things pretty much completely reversed from the optimal. Keep bare-bones listing information in the print version, where it can be handy, convenient reference material. Put the more fleshed out, film-by-film listings on-line.

Just my $.02.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fairchild » Mon May 14, 2007 10:59 am

I really like the new movie times. I always look for movies based on what I want to see not which theater I want to go to.
fairchild

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com