MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Repeated Outages

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Repeated Outages

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:18 pm

We keep losing threads.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6325
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Postby DMeister » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:20 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:
DMeister
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:57 am

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:25 pm

Yep. Sorry about that. A hiccup from trying to make things right from last week.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:28 pm

suck
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby blunt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm getting my exercise by trying to repeat mine with occasional irrational changes just to keep things interesting.
Oh, and be sure and drink lots of water.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:50 am

jjoyce wrote:Yep. Sorry about that. A hiccup from trying to make things right from last week.


I got to ask:

How are those advertisers dealing with the fallout of this piss poor attempt at disaster recovery?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:24 pm

Postby jjoyce » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:35 am

juanton wrote:How are those advertisers dealing with the fallout of this piss poor attempt at disaster recovery?


We're pretty proactive in that arena.

Why, how have you dealt with similar situation, juanton?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:49 am

Run backups of the mysql database and web content on your own and on a regular basis. If it's a linux web host and you have a shell account, you probably have access to crontab which allows you to set up timed backups. Automate the process and you will never have to worry about backups again.

Where I work, we basically have disaster recovery down to a science. I know your situation is not the same, yet if our main data center blows up in some sort of terrorist attack, our apps will still work off of the mirrored servers at a separate location. I could go on and on about how to plan for disaster situations. Until you have a plan written in stone and TESTED, you will never be safe from outages.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:24 pm

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:06 am

I just want my Elvis Reese's PB cups thread back, and I don't want to retype it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby jjoyce » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:57 am

juanton wrote:I know your situation is not the same, yet if our main data center blows up in some sort of terrorist attack, our apps will still work off of the mirrored servers at a separate location.


Yeah... you could say our situation is not the same.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:52 pm

juanton wrote:Run backups of the mysql database and web content on your own and on a regular basis. If it's a linux web host and you have a shell account, you probably have access to crontab which allows you to set up timed backups. Automate the process and you will never have to worry about backups again.


Nothing like a good paragraph of computer jargon to make me feel comfortably dumb.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Postby Paco » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:02 pm

I've been in IT for 21 yrs and I don't know what the hell he's talking about.

I need to retire. Soon.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby DMeister » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:43 pm

I cannot find the cron tab.

Is that near the Advanced Properties tab?

I prefer Advanced Properties tabs. They are real tabs I can click on.
DMeister
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:57 am

Postby TAsunder » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:51 pm

What was the nature of the outage? If they had a backup I don't see how that helps if all the hardware is kaputt. You still have to get the new hardware and everything. Seems like they had a temporary server restored from a backup and then once they got the real stuff working, restored from the same backup.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:59 pm

jjoyce wrote:
juanton wrote:I know your situation is not the same, yet if our main data center blows up in some sort of terrorist attack, our apps will still work off of the mirrored servers at a separate location.


Yeah... you could say our situation is not the same.


Yes, but it is pretty clear that The Isthmus seems to be investing a lot of resources in many different angles of ye olde internet. Why not invest a little more and make it able to be restored in an hour instead of 2 days? IMHO, this site is no longer tiny, therefore the recovery methods need to grow beyond relying on the backups your hosting firm provides. A reputable hosting firm should also be able to move you to new hardware in the case of failure in minutes.

I think if I were spending money on Isthmus clickable banners, I would expect my banner to be seen during those 2 days or I would ask for a partial refund.

Any way, it's good to see it back.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:24 pm

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar