MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, January 28, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 21.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

TDP Forum: Social Networking

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

TDP Forum: Social Networking

Postby jjoyce » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:23 am

The buzz on the nets these days is all about social networking. Your site NEEDS a social networking component to survive, the experts say. Leaving aside, for a moment, that a lot of these same experts were extolling the virtues of trends like push a while back and have made some pretty grave pronouncements about the future of newspapers, they might have a point.

We've experimented with commenting here at TDP, giving people the ability create profile pages (MINE) and catalog their comments on stories. It hasn't exactly taken off. People who visit TDP want to gather and exchange thoughts here, on this message board, instead.

Message boards have gotten a bad name, I think, and are clearly social networks when allowed to develop properly. Our own TDPF beat out bakotopia.com -- a site held up as the shining example of how newspapers ought to be operating -- in an online community contest this year.

So the question for all of you who have messed around with Facebook and MySpace and others, and also for those of you who are avoiding them like the plague: Is TDPF a social network? Why or why not?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:10 pm

I'm not a myspace, facebook, etc. user but doesn't social networking imply that you might actually meet face to face (or have met), people in your network?

I don't think there's much ftf meetings going on at TDP (not counting people who already knew each other outside).

The appeal of TDP for me is largely due to it's unsocial nature.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:25 pm

Those of us forons who have wanted to reach out and socially network have made efforts to do so.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm very specifically making a point of blocking any links to MySpace on any domains I own.

Fuck News Corp.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:29 pm

I'm resting.........it's a euphemism for not interested, skinny.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:15 pm

I think the DPF is a social networking site but only part of the time. Connections that result from communication on the DPF are just a bonus on top of its value as a public forum.

This board has definitely helped me get to know folks (especially the musician types) who I might be too shy to speak to at shows. There are several people who I talked to much more on this forum before actually hanging out with in real life.

I'm very glad it's not arranged like a social networking site, though. I don't like the whole "click to become my friend" thing. It sorta sucks having to request and collect friends.

As far as the public TDP profile thing, I didn't even know that existed.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jesse Russell » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:24 pm

The Village Voice and CityPages seem to be doing just fine with out social networking. Are these "experts" confusing "social networking" with "innovation and implementation of new/original ideas"?
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby DMeister » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:29 am

No.

The users here are too old.
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:45 am

Jason,
here's the answer, like it or not:

If the users can't PM each other it's not a "social network".
Seriously.
There's a reason I harp on this simple feature.
Not everybody wants to network in a public space.
PM allows you discuss things in private.

EVERY FORUM and NETWORKING SITE OFFERS THIS!

From MySpace to LinkedIn.
Kids to professionals.

But not TDPF all because Mr. Blues gave you a cyber wet willie 4 years ago.

Time to get over your fear and unlock this feature that allows people to communicate with each other.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:52 am

DMeister wrote:No.

The users here are too old.

agreed.
Most people who post here seem to be in the "post-networking" phase of their lives and don't really care about it because the know all the people here in real life anyway.

For example: look at the music threads.
It's usually the same 15 people posting, all of who play in bands or shows together on a regular basis.
Are they networking?
Nope.
Killing time until they see each other at practice or a show?
Yep.

I'm not saying they shouldn't post, or have a cyber-love fest over the merits of the Raspberries greatest hits, but that doesn't count as networking.

When bands or artists who aren't part of this corner of the scene do post in an attempt to network they are usually met with snide comments or silence.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:16 am

Yeah, my face has only been booked once. I hope to never have that happen again.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:45 am

jammybastard wrote:But not TDPF all because Mr. Blues gave you a cyber wet willie 4 years ago.

First of all, your classification of it as a "wet willie" is more than a little off. I suppose there's no reason for you to think otherwise, but that's not all it was and I'm not the only one who was affected and there have been quite a few bad actors over the years.

I'm not saying anyone wants this to be a "social network" or that such a thing is even desirable. I'm just interested in reading what people who work outside the buzz zone think of this kind of thing.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:52 am

Interesting article about why social networking doesn't work.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-6240543-1.html
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jesse Russell » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:32 am

jjoyce wrote:I'm not saying anyone wants this to be a "social network" or that such a thing is even desirable. I'm just interested in reading what people who work outside the buzz zone think of this kind of thing.

That is good to hear. The point I was trying to make was that instead of trying to build the next locally based Facebook, The Daily Page should experiment with something new. "Social Network" and "Interactivity" are not the same.

I know there are many reasons why you feel the need to stick with this old school forum system - but maybe you could consider investing in something new?

I also think Jammybastard is right - it would help people to network if they could pm. You could set it up so people can only pm with users that they have added as a contact.
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:48 pm

jjoyce wrote:
jammybastard wrote:But not TDPF all because Mr. Blues gave you a cyber wet willie 4 years ago.

First of all, your classification of it as a "wet willie" is more than a little off. I suppose there's no reason for you to think otherwise, but that's not all it was and I'm not the only one who was affected and there have been quite a few bad actors over the years.

I was purposely being silly. I know you've suffered, as have I, in service of this forum.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com