MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Interesting piece on sock puppets

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:19 am

Nick Berigan wrote:Heh heh. Pulseless. If you are gonna spin a yarn, why not go for broke. Something like...

"After PD used it's moles still planted in the Central Intelligence Agency as interns from the communist-dominated Carter years to beam misinformation about every member of the city council as being members of the KKK to news sources around the world, they then repositioned laser-capable satellites to burn the search warrants out of the hands of the misdirected agents who had been aimed at Isthmus before those warrants could be presented. But just in time, PM had him or herself beamed into the situation (using powers that are still classified) and use his/her superpowers to go back in time and retrieve the warrant, saving the day for the everyday regular Americans who support freedom, etc etc etc etc."

I mean, why hold back?

You left out Cuba, the Mafia and the Illuminati.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:37 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
Nick Berigan wrote:Heh heh. Pulseless. If you are gonna spin a yarn, why not go for broke. Something like...

"After PD used it's moles still planted in the Central Intelligence Agency as interns from the communist-dominated Carter years to beam misinformation about every member of the city council as being members of the KKK to news sources around the world, they then repositioned laser-capable satellites to burn the search warrants out of the hands of the misdirected agents who had been aimed at Isthmus before those warrants could be presented. But just in time, PM had him or herself beamed into the situation (using powers that are still classified) and use his/her superpowers to go back in time and retrieve the warrant, saving the day for the everyday regular Americans who support freedom, etc etc etc etc."

I mean, why hold back?

You left out Cuba, the Mafia and the Illuminati.

Well, I was trying to keep it believable.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:47 pm

I would like pulsewidth to post his/her name, address, phone number, and employment history, and perhaps a photo.
I, for one, would like to make sure I'm not in a discussion with a jobless leftwing homo.
And it's really getting cold out, so all you sock puppets might want to put on some shoes.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:53 pm

blunt wrote:I would like pulsewidth to post his/her ... employment history ...

Geez, how many Burger Kings can one person list on a resume?
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:55 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:You handed over IP addresses and e-mail addresses because you were ordered to; that's a fact.

Email addresses were not involved and the MPD was not the investigative agency. Those mistakes account for over half of what you call "fact." You've represented other falsehoods as fact, but it would be painful for all involved to go through your posts point-by-point.

In other words, another F. Accuracy counts.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:53 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
Oprah wrote:Seemed like an interesting discussion to me.

Which parts?

Examples are here, here, here, and here.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Re: re: interesting piece of sock puppets

Postby gozer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:36 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
gozer wrote:looking at it from another angle, sockpuppetspotting and most of its alleged motivations of trollophobia, latent or overt desire to censor, drivel projection, and certainly present an interesting commentary on the security and self-esteem levels of those on both sides. i'm sure most people here feel that they don't need two or more of themselves to get the job done. then of course there are some who so insecure, intolerant, and dim-witted that they need to have their own views parroted back to them 24/7, especially by themselves. damn.

the more common cause of multiple i.d.p.f.login ownership -- logins which no longer work for whatever reason -- would seem to usually be some chronological expiry function; it sounds like there is a certain number of days with no activity that the account goes into the bin but keeps the name stored and theefore unable to be used. in actuality this may be that way for a reason.

for that and vsrious other reasons, i am pretty sure that any newspaper or in some cases online content provider's liability carrier would at least have a non-commital grumbly negative response to one of their policy-holders mandating disclosure of biographical and geographical information that would abet such a response to discussions on the board as pounding on someone's door at 3 in the morning, dumping solvents on the boot of some person or people's car/s, shooting out porch lights with a rifle, walking up to a fellow foron in a demonstration and pointing a can of mace right at their eyeballs, all of which and much much more are the reaction that some forons, including some still posting here.

You are one hard-to-read son of a gun. I recognize almost all of the words, and yet the ultimate meaning is totally lost on me. And that last bit...that's a 119-word sentence! My MAN, you have got to break that shit up!

why thank u....here's a translation of the above -- i think:

1. sockpuppet hunting =~ conspiracy theories about the bildeberbergers and illuminati

2. be it a right or not, anonymity such as it is will continue to be the policy here because:
a. if a b.b.-operating organisation required real names, their insurance company would blow a gasket about civil liability and threaten to pull coverage in many cases.
b. if the insurance co was out of the loop and therefore silent at first, events would catch up. for example, in past years people have been assaulted at home and on the streets of madison by longtime and current users of this board and other cases of violence and property damage occurred -- this just from the perps guessing (one of em broke my neighbour's window in a case of mistaken identity -- i didn't say they were geniuses, u know)

3. the usefulness of i.p. address information for an investigator or foron wanting to do violence has eroded with each passing year because of things as diverse as mergers & acquisitions, the fact that anyone can actually start their own i.s.p., changing firewall and security technology, the proletarianisation of proxy and anonymiser technology and knowledge and the like.

the people who got busted for misusing this board by the cops were, based on what documentation i have seen, behind the times as far as covering their tracks -- just plain stupid in my opinion.

the 31337 hax0rs of 1997 became the readers of ProxyWeek and customers of anonymizer.com and atomintersoft in the new century and that has became the more or less savvy internet user and/or user of progressive i.s.p.'s that automatically cover tracks now...
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com