MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Interesting piece on sock puppets

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:07 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Anonymous writing and opinion has a pretty long history in American literary and political circles (see Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman and Thomas Paine writing in Common Sense).

It's difficult for me to consider an international best-seller which brought Paine immediate and lasting fame as "anonymous", even if the very first (and quickly sold-out) printing didn't bear his name. A much better example would be The Federalist Papers, but I've come to expect your knowledge of our country's founding to be so exceedingly shoddy that I'm not the least bit surprised it didn't occur to you.

BTW - have you ever bothered to actually read Paine? If so, did you do it with your fingers in your ears while screaming, "I'm not listening to you!", the way you do when your contemporaries echo his sentiments about freedom, equality, religion and what should constitute American ideals?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:20 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Anonymous writing and opinion has a pretty long history in American literary and political circles (see Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman and Thomas Paine writing in Common Sense).

It's difficult for me to consider an international best-seller which brought Paine immediate and lasting fame as "anonymous", even if the very first (and quickly sold-out) printing didn't bear his name. A much better example would be The Federalist Papers, but I've come to expect your knowledge of our country's founding to be so exceedingly shoddy that I'm not the least bit surprised it didn't occur to you.

BTW - have you ever bothered to actually read Paine? If so, did you do it with your fingers in your ears while screaming, "I'm not listening to you!", the way you do when your contemporaries echo his sentiments about freedom, equality, religion and what should constitute American ideals?

I realize that Paine was a "radical" for his time, but it was the first example that came to mind. I will bow to your formidable mental prowess and offer my sorrow for your extra painful bout of PMS this month.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:36 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I will bow to your formidable mental prowess and offer my sorrow for your extra painful bout of PMS this month.

Translation: No, you've never bothered to actually read Paine. Thanks for clarifyin'.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:44 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I will bow to your formidable mental prowess and offer my sorrow for your extra painful bout of PMS this month.

Translation: No, you've never bothered to actually read Paine. Thanks for clarifyin'.

Well perhaps you have a "78", in your extensive collection, of Tom Paine reading from his works to expedite my education?

If not, how about some Alphaville?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:46 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Well perhaps you have a "78", in your extensive collection, of Tom Paine reading from his works to expedite my education?

If not, how about some Alphaville?

Don't you be smackin' on the Alphaville. They're big in Japan.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:26 am

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
lordofthecockrings wrote:p.s. Could you please tell me what business you own so I can be sure never to give you a goddamn dime?

i own club 5.

Bullshit. I know the owner of Club 5. While he dislikes the Isthmus more than you, he's also way smarter than you.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:51 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Remember the scandal a few years back? I can't really remember the details but didn't Isthmus turn over names and email addresses to the cops.

I remember it. It centered around a Progressive Dane activist posting distorted/racist propaganda about Zach Brandon. The propaganda claimed he wanted to imprison black people just because they were black. Predictably enough, PD revisited this same theme a few weeks ago when they claimed "white middle class people" wanted blacks to disappear via imprisonment when MPD announced it wanted more cops to patrol southwest side neighborhoods due to escalating crime in that area of the city. PD loves this angle; their sock puppets pump out this kind of rhetoric on the DPF all of the time.

Yes, "Isthmus" gave away IP addresses and e-mail addresses in that case.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:26 am

pulsewidth modulation wrote:Predictably enough, PD revisited this same theme a few weeks ago when they claimed "white middle class people" wanted blacks to disappear via imprisonment when MPD announced it wanted more cops to patrol southwest side neighborhoods due to escalating crime in that area of the city. PD loves this angle; their sock puppets pump out this kind of rhetoric on the DPF all of the time.
My recall of the more cops discussion was that jjoyce and burstingsun (two folks you'd likely label as part of the PD/lefty clique) provided some compelling arguments and facts contrary to what Konkel and lukpac were espousing. Seemed like an interesting discussion to me.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:40 am

pulsewidth modulation wrote:Yes, "Isthmus" gave away IP addresses and e-mail addresses in that case.

False.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:50 am

jjoyce wrote:
pulsewidth modulation wrote:Yes, "Isthmus" gave away IP addresses and e-mail addresses in that case.

False.

True.

Zach Brandon got pissed at the lies the PD activist was spreading, so he called the cops. MPD detectives IN FACT asked, probably required, that your paper turn over IP addresses and e-mail addresses.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:57 am

Oprah wrote:Seemed like an interesting discussion to me.

Which parts? By chance, did you enjoy the parts provided by PD lawyers?

VickySelkowe wrote:There's an undercurrent that seems to be related to race & class... It sure looks like some (largely white, middle-class)

Brenda Konkel wrote:kneejerk response to middle class white people

thread history
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:14 am

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
jjoyce wrote:

False.

True.

Zach Brandon got pissed at the lies the PD activist was spreading, so he called the cops. MPD detectives IN FACT asked, probably required, that your paper turn over IP addresses and e-mail addresses.

If I recall correctly, the MPD presented Isthmus with a judges search warrant.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:41 am

pulsewidth modulation wrote:MPD detectives IN FACT asked, probably required, that your paper turn over IP addresses and e-mail addresses.

If you don't work here, you weren't on the receiving end of the subpoena, as I was. You're once again in over your head and representing conjecture as fact.

This is why you lose all arguments.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:05 am

jjoyce wrote:You're once again in over your head and representing conjecture as fact.

This is why you lose all arguments.

If you want to spin the facts that I wrote as "argumentation" or "conjecture" go ahead. The "Isthmus" takes risks by inflaming the public's perception of race and class, as does PD. At the time, one of the people your paper sought to influence went too far and ended up harming the political hands that fed them.

You handed over IP addresses and e-mail addresses because you were ordered to; that's a fact. I would have done the same thing if a PD activist used my private property to spread lies about one of progressive Madison's political enemies.

Your spin will only dig the hole that much deeper. Speak for yourself instead of spinning what I say.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:04 am

Heh heh. Pulseless. If you are gonna spin a yarn, why not go for broke. Something like...

"After PD used it's moles still planted in the Central Intelligence Agency as interns from the communist-dominated Carter years to beam misinformation about every member of the city council as being members of the KKK to news sources around the world, they then repositioned laser-capable satellites to burn the search warrants out of the hands of the misdirected agents who had been aimed at Isthmus before those warrants could be presented. But just in time, PM had him or herself beamed into the situation (using powers that are still classified) and use his/her superpowers to go back in time and retrieve the warrant, saving the day for the everyday regular Americans who support freedom, etc etc etc etc."

I mean, why hold back?
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com