MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Wireless TDP

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Wireless TDP

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 pm

Do you access the web on your phone?

Give our new experiment a shot:

tdp.vrvm.com

Coming soon: A better URL and more features. For now, we're just trying to get you what you want/need most while away from your PC. Um, not including Forum, that is.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:46 pm

Well, aside from the fact that the banner ad takes up half my screen, not a bad start. Access to movie times and restaurant info will be nice when roaming around town.

In times of desperation, I've been known to fire up forum on my phone-- it certainly doesn't look pretty, but it's legible anyway...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:03 pm

massimo wrote:In times of desperation, I've been known to fire up forum on my phone-- it certainly doesn't look pretty, but it's legible anyway...

Wow... really?

I'll say this: It's addictive. We've been testing it for a few weeks now and I find that I now NEED the thing to find a place to eat or see that night's club listings. The mobile revolution is for real.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm

Have you taken a look at Google's mobile version of Google Maps? It's just amazing. If you have a GPS enabled phone, it will show you where you are, show you what businesses are around you, link you to restaurant menus and reviews, give you directions, show you traffic (well, not in Madison, but around Chicago it can be a great time-saver).

It will do all of this for non-GPS phones, of course, except that you have to tell it where you are...

I wonder if there's a way for you guys to integrate your detailed local info into Google's platform-- e.g. link your reviews, movie and show times, etc. Well, I imagine doing that is possible, but probably not what you guys have in mind.

Why are the page lengths so short? When I look at the music listings, I only get 5 at a time. (very cool how you link nearby restaurants, though...)
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:21 am

excellent, bookmarked it. looks great on my motorola Q! will come in handy for finding restaurants, but i can't wait to see what else you have in store. bravo!

PS, those of you who use the internets on your phone, check out http://google.com/gwt/n -- its a google proxy that will reformat any website for your phone's screen. indispensable.
paulie
Forum Addict

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com