MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Since when is this forum a dictatorship?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Since when is this forum a dictatorship?

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:50 pm

Out of the long list of things that irritate me about the Daily Page Forum, I think this irks me the most. Admin posts a topic, starting a thread about how it "had to" delete a thread due to a delinquent advertiser's shameless self-promotion. Then once its readers/supporters/frequent visitors start conversing about their thoughts on the matter, that thread gets deleted also? Are we to assume that any time anyone says anything negative about the Daily Page the conversation is only destined to disappear into the ether? Are we to assume that any time a business associate of the Daily Page is late on a payment, all mentions of them within the forum threads will simply vanish at the wave of the admin's magic wand?

I'm tired so I can't think of a better word than this: LAME.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:56 pm

Your right to free speech is your protection from government abuse. This forum is owned by a private, commercial business. They can set the rules and do as they please. If you don't like it, there are other forums out there, or you could start your own.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:11 pm

Since when is it a democracy?

As for the rest of your quick-triggered rant, read the site for five minutes and tell me if your observation about every thread that's ever been critical of this site, the paper, the people who work here or anyone else being destined to disappear into the ether has any merit whatsoever.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:25 pm

This isn't a democracy.....

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:35 pm

jjoyce wrote:Since when is it a democracy?

'nuff said.
Plenty of businesses, bands, venues, get free ads through posts on this forum so don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Jason and Co. let ppl get away with plenty but
no business, big or small, deserves to be stiffed.

They also don't have to tolerate discussions about it when the message has already been made exceptionally clear.
Enjoy this forum for what it is, and be realistic about what it is not.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:47 pm

jammybastard wrote:

'nuff said.
Plenty of businesses, bands, venues, get free ads through posts on this forum so don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Jason and Co. let ppl get away with plenty but
no business, big or small, deserves to be stiffed.

They also don't have to tolerate discussions about it when the message has already been made exceptionally clear.
Enjoy this forum for what it is, and be realistic about what it is not.

Or be Genie.

Wait...strike that. One Genie is enough for any universe.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:38 pm

As for the rest of your quick-triggered rant, read the site for five minutes and tell me if your observation about every thread that's ever been critical of this site, the paper, the people who work here or anyone else being destined to disappear into the ether has any merit whatsoever.

Actually, I read the site every day. I wasn't insinuating that every thread has been deleted, I was simply observing that I saw two threads I was following disappear within a short time frame. I was wondering if that's to become the norm around here. I suppose I have never been under the impression that the Daily Page Forum is a democracy, it's pretty clear who calls the shots around here; however, even within the aforementioned deleted thread, admin stated "the democratic powers that be in the forums decreed that promoters are allowed to post in the hype section" or something of that nature (I have no frame of reference anymore, as the entire thread is gone).

I think it is unprofessional and petty to delete an ongoing conversation, especially when admin is the one who started it. Why would I want to engage in any sort of discussion on this forum when Big Brother might step in at any moment and erase it?

Perhaps you could exercise the option used by many other forums; simply turn the thread off rather than getting rid of it altogether.

Finally, for those of you who say "Just go somewhere else" I will say this: I would go somewhere else, if there was another option, and anyone who can figure out how to create that option-- in a more nonpartisan fashion-- here in Madison would most likely find themselves swamped by people like me, who are actually interested in engaging in lively and thoughtful discussions about topics that mean something to them, without falling prey to the juvenile namecalling and mudslinging and injokes that seem to prevail over most threads in this forum.

I love the concept of the Daily Page, and I am an avid forum reader, but I rarely post. That doesn't make me any less of a supporter, or any less a voice in this debate, the seed of which seems to be an issue for the accounting department rather than the forum administrator.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:44 pm

swoon_queen wrote:I love the concept of the Daily Page, and I am an avid forum reader, but I rarely post. That doesn't make me any less of a supporter, or any less a voice in this debate, the seed of which seems to be an issue for the accounting department rather than the forum administrator.

As the former CFO of a small business, I can tell you that everything, ultimately, is an issue for the accounting department.

Take it from me (as one who learned the hard way) - no one needs to see their dirty laundry aired all over the Daily Page.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:46 pm

A dictatorship? Hardly. This forum is run about as loose as any I've seen. But Jason does need to pay the bills.

I ranted at him in the past about ad blockers and TDPF, and he took it without a peep. And looking back on it, I was wrong and he was right. It took about 2 seconds for me to turn of Ad Blocker Plus for this site. Now I'm seeing a few unobtrusive ads for local businesses here, and I don't mind that at all.

But Jason is fully within his rights, and more importantly, his obligations, if he deletes a thread that is being spammed by businesses that aren't willing to pay for actual ads.

Don't like it? Go play at the mudpit that is madison.com forums.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:08 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Finally, for those of you who say "Just go somewhere else"...

That would be me.

swoon_queen wrote:I would go somewhere else, if there was another option, and anyone who can figure out how to create that option-- in a more nonpartisan fashion-- here in Madison would most likely find themselves swamped by people like me, who are actually interested in engaging in lively and thoughtful discussions about topics that mean something to them, without falling prey to the juvenile namecalling and mudslinging and injokes that seem to prevail over most threads in this forum.

And how would that be done, without the censorship you decry? Just ask people to be civil, on an anomymous forum, and not fall prey to the shortcomings of public discourse? Does such a message board exist?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:18 pm

To clarify, I find that the positives far outweigh the negatives here. That's why I frequent TDPF and why I seldom feel the need to speak up. I also agree that any forum's administrator needs to have the power to stop spam or quell shameless free advertising. I just think it's odd that the threads that were deleted were allowed to continue as long as they did before falling off the board... the fact that they weren't immediately recognized as "spam" makes me think that it's more of a petty financial issue that should remain separate from the forums, for both business' sake. A conversation was started-- one that I was really interested in-- and abruptly halted, and it irritated me, that's all. I'll try to go back to silently lurking around now.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby northwoods_babe » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:05 pm

swoon_queen wrote:I suppose I have never been under the impression that the Daily Page Forum is a democracy, it's pretty clear who calls the shots around here;
I think it is unprofessional and petty to delete an ongoing conversation, especially when admin is the one who started it. Why would I want to engage in any sort of discussion on this forum when Big Brother might step in at any moment and erase it?

"admin"= the one "who calls the shots around here"
"admin"= Big Brother
"admin"= "the one who started it"

Oh great and all-powerful "admin", why have you forsaken us?
northwoods_babe

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:10 pm

It's a fair question, to ask "why were those threads allowed to go on as long as they did, only to be deleted once they got going?"
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:27 am

TheBookPolice wrote:It's a fair question, to ask "why were those threads allowed to go on as long as they did, only to be deleted once they got going?"

From the lag time on previous obviously-objectionable postings, I get the sense that the Isthmus admins don't really hover over this site. Things can stay up for a couple hours before someone in an official capacity notices they're there.

I say this strictly as a dispassionate observer, describing what he has witnessed. No criticism or defense of Isthmus Co. should be implied.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:24 am

ooh, 2999 posts TBP, are you going to 3/10 retire now?

or 3/1 retire, if you're sheppy...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com