MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Memo to Uberhack Vikki Kratz

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:47 pm

ShaneDog wrote:Here comes a threadjack: Why do they post the agenda as a "scanned-image" PDF instead of one that is full-text searchable? I'm guessing it's probably because they're not tech-savvy enough to realize the difference.

Those are links to city and county documents posted on their websites. I assume this is the "they" you're referring to.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:47 pm

jjoyce wrote:
ShaneDog wrote:Here comes a threadjack: Why do they post the agenda as a "scanned-image" PDF instead of one that is full-text searchable? I'm guessing it's probably because they're not tech-savvy enough to realize the difference.

Those are links to city and county documents posted on their websites. I assume this is the "they" you're referring to.
Yeah I'm referring to the city and county. I'm just wondering why the PDFs are not created so that they are searchable which would make them 10 times more useful
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:53 pm

ShaneDog wrote:
jjoyce wrote:

Yeah I'm referring to the city and county. I'm just wondering why the PDFs are not created so that they are searchable which would make them 10 times more useful

And download about 10 times faster too.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:24 pm

My guess is that they don't create them in Acrobat but instead just use the kinda fax, kinda print, kinda photocopy function in Word.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:01 pm

jjoyce wrote:My guess is that they don't create them in Acrobat but instead just use the kinda fax, kinda print, kinda photocopy function in Word.
You are probably correct. There are plenty of free plugins available that will do it the "right" way though.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

..common theme

Postby Troy Thiel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:15 pm

I can't say I was shocked at the common thread of anger with Ms. Kratz' work as evidenced by the many letters of disdain of her piece on troubled adoptees from abroad...having witnessed it again and again...

Humane Society piece, Library parking story and other "journalist"ic (satire intended) endeavours that are hack pieces that are poorly researched and written...or misleading.

It's sad to see good writers leaving the Isthmus who have journalistic integrity...and see this kind of personal vendatta work continue on. Not sure how those who run the Isthmus think this is good for their paper's "sustainability".

Doesn't make much sense...but hey, neither does GWB being Potus or people who think Sarah Palin is qualified to be VP.
Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Re: Memo to Uberhack Vikki Kratz

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:43 am

nevermore wrote:You. Are. Not. Funny.

Not to threadjack the threadjack, but this is really piss-poor writing. I'm sorry, it just is. I don't think they'd print it in the Willy St Coop Newsletter.

I'd let it slide, but I have a sad little attachment to quality journalism in Isthmus and this writer, for me, has now totally lost credibility. Unfortunately, it's also the responsibility of somebody on the editorial staff to catch stuff like this and either clean it up or reject it, and that somebody dropped the ball too.

Carry on.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:31 am

Yeah, what snoqueen said.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com