MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

nice weather bug!

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

nice weather bug!

Postby jammybastard » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 am

Finally something useful on the front page!
:wink:

That's pretty swizz folks. Well done.
The new weather page is nice as well.
Very neat and concise, which stands in great contrast to the other news/weather sites from local media.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Re: nice weather bug!

Postby chance » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 pm

jammybastard wrote:Finally something useful on the front page!
:wink:

That's pretty swizz folks. Well done.
The new weather page is nice as well.
Very neat and concise, which stands in great contrast to the other news/weather sites from local media.

Yeah, the bug up in the header bar is nice.

So why can't it be put up on the header bar for the Forum? It shows up everywhere else ("The Paper"/"The Daily"/"The Guide"/"Movies"/etc).
chance
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:33 pm

The weather page gives me a little square after the numbers for temperature, rather than the degree symbol (the superscript zero).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:26 pm

I think this weather bug is seriously slowing me down. When I go to the main page it pauses for quite a while while waiting for wb.myweather..... is at the bottom of the screen. hardly seems worth the dip in overall site performance. Not that the daily page has ever been exceptionally speedy...
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:44 pm

The weather bug bites. We pull the data from myweather.net via a service called uclick. Whenever the weather becomes threatening, people want to know more (alarmingly, right?) and then the service slows to a crawl and affects page loads.

That's why it's not on Forum pages. It's also why I have to have an internal argument about removing it from all pages whenever a storm is on the way and it might actually be useful.

It's also why we're looking for another weather partner. Shortino? Lindmeier? Cannulte? If you're out there, send me an email. Seriously.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:13 pm

I like your weather service just the way it is. Loads fast even on slow connections, not overly complicated with weather trivia, everything on one page unless you want to look at the animations which are only one click away. With all the choices on the Web, I still go to Isthmus for weather first.

Really, I do.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:48 pm

R.I.P. TDP Weather Bug. 2008-2008. You will be missed by some. Not missed at all by more.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:42 pm

We've been doing weather since at least 2005 and that particular graphic treatment of it has been up since we redesigned in August, 2007. I finally had enough of the stalled page loads this morning and commented it out. Our tech guy is playing with other solutions at the moment that wouldn't rely on a live connection to a third-party server.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com