MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, March 3, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bring back avatars!

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

How do you feel about avatars?

Avatars would invade my privacy- the animated ones would wink at me when I'm in my underwear.
5%
Avatars would give my enemy a face, and I usually find that intolerable.
25%
I might still see the avatars when I close my eyes at night. No!
5%
Yes! The emoticons are not cutesy enough.
35%
I don't know how to spell "avatar". What's on TV?
30%

Total votes : 20

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:24 pm

auntgoodness wrote:One of the reasons I like this board is the lack of stupid pictures in every single post. Less scrolling, less visual garbage.

Thank you! Just so we're clear, I have never used the term offensive for the reason why we don't allow avatars on the site. I think they're ugly and adversely affect the user experience, which is directly related to what kind of posters and posts we see on the Forum.

In other words, this isn't an N'Sync fan club site, I don't want it to look like one.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:34 pm

Justin Timberlake is so hot, though. He's an Aquarius, dontcha know?
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:41 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:"Avatar" is, in fact, Sanskrit for "crutch of the retard."

jjoyce wrote:n other words, this isn't an N'Sync fan club site, I don't want it to look like one.

What fucking ever. This is a visual as well as verbal medium, and avatars are a limitable way to take advantage of that. But hey, snobbism is everybody's prerogative, and if you want to protect the cultural purity of your site, well, you get to.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby purplepenquin » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:00 pm

Once again, I must ask....What's the difference between allowing images and allowing avatars?

I'm just curious as to the reasoning why one is allowed and not the other.
purplepenquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:15 pm

Turning off avatars is as simple as hitting a button. They can also turn off images in signatures by not allowing signatures. That's simple also. They can remove pictures from posts without much effort as well, but that would turn off all BBCode. They could remove the IMG tag from the BBCode, but I doubt they have the programming knowledge.
dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:41 pm

I for one don't give a rip about avatars, but, what I would like to see is an emoticon or something that denotes when the writer of a post (such as I) is using sarcasm. That way it will save the people who take posts using sarcasm seriously all kinds of time in vehement replies.
Last edited by Entropy's Stagger on Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:36 pm

You people have put far more thought into this than I have.

We do things here because it is our preference. I think it's been pretty successful and I don't really want to change the formula much. And this is the part where I say that this Forum isn't meant to appeal to a wide variety of people (for instance, those who take everything literally aren't going to enjoy it much here). We're not going to change to accomodate everyone, because there are thousands of online message boards, which means that there's probably one for you.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:57 pm

jjoyce wrote:We're not going to change to accomodate everyone, because there are thousands of online message boards, which means that there's probably one for you.

Fine sentiment, dickishly put.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:03 pm

JJ, this is specifically not aimed at you. Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way,

Is there an emoticon that expresses, "Whoa, mellow the hell out dude(ette). Yer getting far too worked up over something as extremely petty as this"?

or,

"I just farted and the dog ran away"?

That would be supercool.

Just curious.
Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:09 pm

Entropy's Stagger wrote:JJ, this is specifically not aimed at you. Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way,

Is there an emoticon that expresses, "Whoa, mellow the hell out dude(ette). Yer getting far too worked up over something as extremely petty as this"?

Right on. Oh, wait... Hey, that smarts!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:16 pm

Wasn't aimed at you either Duc. Actually, that one goes out to no one in particular at all. Well, except for those who get all worked up over petty shit with strangers on an internet bb.
Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:37 pm

Yeah, sometimes I hate the workup, and sometimes it's my favorite thing.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:58 pm

Entropy's Stagger wrote:I for one don't give a rip about avatars, but, what I would like to see is an emoticon or something that denotes when the writer of a post (such as I) is using sarcasm. That way it will save the people who take posts using sarcasm seriously all kinds of time in vehement replies.

That's easy to do. Emoticons are available on the same screen you write posts. Look to the left of the message body. If you don�t like those, insert your own. Find an emoticon online (or put one online yourself) and insert it into your post using the [img] tag.

You can find many emoticons with Google's help.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=emoticon+gallery
Find an image you like, right-click on it and click Properties. Highlight and copy the HTTP address and insert that address into your post.

Insert them into the message using the proper BBCode format.
Code: Select all
It wasn't a happy Christmas on Mars last year.  [img]http://www.erstenware.com/smiling_writing/library/unsorted/smiley_004.gif[/img] Santa's Elf's were vaporizing all the naughty children.

That code will come out like this.

It wasn't a happy Christmas on Mars last year. Image Santa's Elf's were vaporizing all the naughty children.

There's a link explaining BBCode on the posting page to the lower left, below the Emoticons. You can also find it in the FAQ.
dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Like THIS?

Postby Richard S. Russell » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:17 am

dogmeat wrote:That code will come out like this.

It wasn't a happy Christmas on Mars last year. Image Santa's Elf's were vaporizing all the naughty children.

Um, OK. Was it supposed to show up as a little blue box with a "?" in it?
Richard S. Russell
Forum God/Goddess

Location: proud Madisonian (yay for father of Bill of Rights)

Postby dogmeat » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:17 am

No, it's a little image. It should be unless your computer has failed to load it for some reason.
dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com