MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

How is no one talking about this?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:37 am

Lueders wrote:People in Madison, from those in high command to ordinary Janes and Joes on the street, are so firmly persuaded of their moral rectitude they never feel the need to demonstrate the slightest moral sensibility, particularly if in involves standing up to law enforcement.

I don't think there's any question that Lueders does good work and is an asset to the paper, but he sure is a self righteous sumbitch. I mean, props for telling this woman's story and all, but it ain't exactly "All the President's Men". Or something tells me you wouldn't be writing for a weekly.

[quote]My favorite line in Cry Rape is the one that calls Madison “a city that despite its air of superiority is prone to bouts of moral narcolepsy.â€Â
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:55 am

So you're wondering where the outrage is when we're as a city called smug? But you're still not outraged at the subject of the article?

Sounds like Lueders is on the money.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:09 am

I can't speak for others, but it's hard to feel outrage when the articles are written with such blatant bias and frequent sarcasm. Also a bit of self-promotion. The facts should speak for themselves. The author telling me what to think and conveniently leaving out important investigative information makes the story less credible.

I think there's probably a really disturbing piece that could be written about this; unfortunately, Bill Lueders can't seem to write it.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:28 am

"moral narcolepsy"

Hmmm...I appear to be singled out here.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:23 pm

Shipley wrote:So you're wondering where the outrage is when we're as a city called smug? But you're still not outraged at the subject of the article?

Who claimed they weren't appalled by the incident?

And if we are, that means we have to swallow every last opinion he utters? Opinions aren't unbiased investigative journalism, last I checked.

Anyway, not that I'm John Updike or anything (he's way more blue), but Lueders is breaking one of the cardinal rules of rhetoric: show, don't tell.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How is no one talking about this?

Postby harrissimo » Thu May 08, 2008 3:28 pm

square wrote:[url=http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=22368]I just read this on the sidebar. Lueders thinks we're all assholes! He says that we're all so smug in our morality that we would never stand up to the police. . .

I may be an asshole and smug in my morality but at least I don't try to get a murdering piece of shit like Ralph Armstrong out of prison so he can kill women again.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com