MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

the good ol' days...

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby O.J. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:01 pm

Ned Flanders wrote: it looks pretty childish to anyone else.

The preferred spelling is khildish
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I know this kinda stuff plays well in Madison, but it looks pretty childish to anyone else.

Whereas your schtick is often mistaken for stuff to come out of the House of Lords.

Incidentally: I know your environs pretty well (and its former governors) and can accurately point out how full of ish you are on this one.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:42 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I know this kinda stuff plays well in Madison, but it looks pretty childish to anyone else.

Whereas your schtick is often mistaken for stuff to come out of the House of Lords.

Incidentally: I know your environs pretty well (and its former governors) and can accurately point out how full of ish you are on this one.

I may need to "cool" you with a folding chair.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Don't make me go all Kimbo Slice on your ass.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:What's a "hate thread"?

Any that you've started.

That's what I thought :roll:

I know this kinda stuff plays well in Madison, but it looks pretty childish to anyone else.

While your poor man's freerepublic.com banter is playing well with the 29% and shrinking of America that's still with your "President". The rest of us are so over it.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:37 am

I lost my password for my first account a few years back and then created this one. So I have seen this board for a good while.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but I believe this board's downfall came with Chuck Schick. He opened the door to gratuitous profanity and made it acceptable to be a jerk/mean to others that post here. I always thought it odd that Mr Joyce stuck up for him so much, when clearly his actions provoked people, and for me changed the attitude of the forum.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:53 pm

john_titor wrote:Not to speak ill of the dead, but I believe this board's downfall came with Chuck Schick. He opened the door to gratuitous profanity and made it acceptable to be a jerk/mean to others that post here. I always thought it odd that Mr Joyce stuck up for him so much, when clearly his actions provoked people, and for me changed the attitude of the forum.

I agree.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cfath » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:53 pm

I hardly ever post here but I must come to Chuck's defense. I really miss him. I miss his humor and his smarts. To me that's what's missing from the forum.
cfath

Postby zsa zsa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:59 pm

I too miss chuck, though I know him in real life so I don't actually miss him.
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:02 pm

zsa zsa wrote:I too miss chuck, though I know him in real life so I don't actually miss him.

The strange thing is that he is such a sweet guy in real life. Totally different than the Chuck Schick persona. I miss him too.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm a relative newbie here, but even I miss Chuck Schick. Just seeing the name was enough to make me chortle, conjuring up images of Lacey Underall and Danny Noonan.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:53 am

blunt wrote:But keep crawling back........

Heh.

heh heh heh heh heh.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:00 am

jhain wrote:
john_titor wrote:Not to speak ill of the dead, but I believe this board's downfall came with Chuck Schick. He opened the door to gratuitous profanity and made it acceptable to be a jerk/mean to others that post here. I always thought it odd that Mr Joyce stuck up for him so much, when clearly his actions provoked people, and for me changed the attitude of the forum.

I agree.

I don't. Chuck was mean to some some people, but he was positively brilliant with his meaness. White hot retorts that would have taken me years to think up, way too late, got tapped out on his keyboard at work all day long.

Mean but terrifyingly brilliant is acceptable. mean and dumb is a bore.

That's the key. Trolls are predictable. You could write their answers for them. Chuck could string together profanities like they'd never been connected before; the way star wars nerds make a 15 foot battlestar out of Legos.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:32 am

Exactly. Thanks.
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:54 am

nickled&dimed wrote:Chuck could string together profanities like they'd never been connected before; the way star wars nerds make a 15 foot battlestar out of Legos.

Other than a jarring flaw in connecting unrelated sci-fi concepts, that was a pretty nice string of words.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com