MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus online pop-ups/Covance

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Isthmus online pop-ups/Covance

Postby sylvie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:33 am

It's bad enough that you accept advertising from animal torturing Covance, but I don't want their !@#$% pop-ups jumping up when I log in to Isthmus site
sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Where are you seeing Covance "pop-ups"?

We run a large, animated Covance ad on some pages of this site, but it is not a "pop-up," nor does it in any way obstruct any content. We don't run ads like that.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:09 pm

They no longer torture animals, they only torture the people that sign up for the studies. That cute blond girl in the TV commercials? Tortured.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 pm

The brown skinned he-she with the colored contact lenses? Tortured.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wanda » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Where does one go to sign up for this torture?
Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:55 pm

US Department of Homeland Security. *rimshot
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:18 pm

you can stop seeing that Covance ad by clicking here.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:30 pm

You can ensure independent media companies can no longer compete with corporate media like Capital Newspapers and Clear Channel by clicking on the same link.

Again: The Covance ad isn't a pop-up. If you're seeing it as one, you've either messed up your browser tabs or downloaded some kind of adware from another site, but it's not on us. I can't speak to what other campaigns Covance is running elsewhere on the web, but I do know specifically what they're running with us and it's a .gif file.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:50 pm

jammybastard wrote:you can stop seeing that Covance ad by [url=duh]clicking here[/url].

Blocking ads keeps free sites like this one from making money, endangering their abilty to bring you content for free.

You're free not to click, but until you face a server bill with the kind of bandwidth this site pumps daily, you've got no idea what it takes to do all of this.

I say this having no real idea what TDP pays for its web space, but know how much I've sunk into my own money pit websites over the years, and the gleeful feeling the first time I broke even one quarter.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:31 pm

Well, it's definitely not a fortune. You might notice that most of our advertisers are local businesses. I'm looking at ads for JavaCat, Glass Nickel, Liz Lauer, Bunbury & Assoc. and a memorial to Derek Vohs placed by Burnie's Rock Shop on the page where I'm typing this.

It's astonishing to me that someone whose band has benefited from reviews, coverage and the free listings Isthmus|TDP offers local performers would essentially advocate against supporting our advertisers, many of whom are friends and neighbors.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:36 pm

jjoyce wrote:It's astonishing to me that someone whose band has benefited from reviews, coverage and the free listings Isthmus|TDP offers local performers would essentially advocate against supporting our advertisers, many of whom are friends and neighbors.

It's a fetish.

"My adblocker is thicker and longer than yours."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:39 pm

The notion that choosing to screen out irrelevant and annoying clutter diminishes revenue is absurd. This is a faux fact like those endemic to Fox News. Someone just decides to declare it, it's spread about via informal channels, and suddenly it's accepted as fact.

Just like the "fact" that visually impaired users who use screen readers diminish revenue, because they can't see the garish ads. Damn them! They're ruining it for the rest of us!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:50 pm

fennel wrote:The notion that choosing to screen out irrelevant and annoying clutter diminishes revenue is absurd.

It certainly diminishes the potential. You may not intend to click on banner ads, but if you can't even see them, then there's exactly 0% chance that you ever will.

And I'm sorry, but I come to TDP because it features interesting and valuable information about the community in which I live. If Isthmus sells ad space to businesses that operate in that same community (and assuming I'm not some shop-only-by-Internet, pale-skinned shut-in), how exactly are the ads "irrelevant clutter"?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wanda » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:57 pm

jjoyce wrote:Well, it's definitely not a fortune. You might notice that most of our advertisers are local businesses. I'm looking at ads for JavaCat, Glass Nickel, Liz Lauer, Bunbury & Assoc. and a memorial to Derek Vohs placed by Burnie's Rock Shop on the page where I'm typing this.

It's astonishing to me that someone whose band has benefited from reviews, coverage and the free listings Isthmus|TDP offers local performers would essentially advocate against supporting our advertisers, many of whom are friends and neighbors.

I like ads. They tell me where to buy stuff.
Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:02 pm

TheBookPolice wrote: assuming I'm not some shop-only-by-Internet, pale-skinned shut-in

Or Matt Damon.

But then, I repeat myself.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com