MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus online pop-ups/Covance

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:22 pm

jhain wrote:
christopher_robin wrote:Out in the woolly world of the Web, though, it's a zoo of pop-unders, take-overs, rich media nonsense and seizure-inducing high-speed animations...

I wasn't talking about porn sites, just news and info. I visit digg, myspace, youtube, and gardening sites mainly. thedailypage has more ads than any of them which wouldn't be so bad since they are small but the animations get really annoying. The constant movement is a distraction. You can set a gif to cycle as many or few times as you want. The ones that get my attention are the ones that have long waits before or between animations.


Are madison.com, channel3000.com pr0n sites? (Wait...don't answer that)

But seriously, click on the links I posted, you know, right above your post. Go ahead. Tally up the ad positions and sizes.

I do not think my point could be more straightforward.

OK, with me now? Just for fun, let's go to one of your fave sites, www.myspace.com.

The ENTIRE PAGE is an ad for the Batman movie. There is an inline video component set to autoplay. The bg image is like 1200x1800.

Seriously, you like that better?
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2888
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:46 am

Postby jhain » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:30 pm

christopher_robin wrote:OK, with me now? Just for fun, let's go to one of your fave sites, www.myspace.com.

The ENTIRE PAGE is an ad for the Batman movie. There is an inline video component set to autoplay. The bg image is like 1200x1800.

Seriously, you like that better?


I agree the log-in page is terrible on myspace but that only takes a second to get past. After that, the next really offensive page is the landing page after you log out. While logged in and using the site, the ads are there but feel less overwhelming than here. Probably my favorite site lately is digg.com which has very few ads and none that are animated (that I've seen, at least.)
jhain
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:40 pm

jhain wrote:While logged in and using the site, the ads are there but feel less overwhelming than here. Probably my favorite site lately is digg.com which has very few ads and none that are animated (that I've seen, at least.)


MySpace is owned by a little company called News Corp. Digg benefits from more venture capital than anyone this side of Facebook.

Point taken on animated ads, but the clientele is vastly different between TDP and the sites you mention.

Meanwhile, the guy who started this thread has never answered where (nowhere) and when (never) these pop-ups happen on TDP.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Shipley » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:44 pm

truly annoying is when I click on a headline on a site and it takes me to a holding area with an ad that I have to click past.

Does Digg make money? do venture capitalists count?

Youtube used to be pretty sterile and ad free, but I see no problem with them running ads considering the incredble time killing power of the site and the fact that a user like myself can host videos for free the same as any corporation.

Myspace is beyond obnoxious. I won't even use the site anymore, but that has much more to do with the member pages and the friend request attacks that happen every time I log in.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am
Location: college park, md

Postby jhain » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:Point taken on animated ads, but the clientele is vastly different between TDP and the sites you mention.


No doubt. And certainly the animated ads here have not kept me from using and enjoying the site. I wasn't trying to compare the sites on anything beyond ads. They all have their strong and weak points.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby jhain » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:17 pm

Shipley wrote:truly annoying is when I click on a headline on a site and it takes me to a holding area with an ad that I have to click past.


Yes, hateful.

Shipley wrote:Youtube used to be pretty sterile and ad free, but I see no problem with them running ads considering the incredble time killing power of the site and the fact that a user like myself can host videos for free the same as any corporation.


I agree that they are well within rights to have ads considering the service but I hate the new ads that are superimposed over the bottom of the videos.

Shipley wrote:Myspace is beyond obnoxious. I won't even use the site anymore, but that has much more to do with the member pages and the friend request attacks that happen every time I log in.


In their defense, they have much better privacy options now that allow you to really limit who is allowed to contact you. That said, there are still plenty of things to be annoyed with there.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Garimba » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:30 pm

jhain wrote:as I mentally tune out


That probably has more to do with the "gardening" sites you visit.
Garimba
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:13 pm

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:33 pm

I see where you are coming from, <jhain>. Thank you for explaining.

I still think that some of the posters here really don't understand the range of options available to a business model based on leveraging site traffic towards ad dollar remuneration and where this site fits on that spectrum, though.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2888
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:46 am

Postby jhain » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Garimba wrote:
jhain wrote:as I mentally tune out


That probably has more to do with the "gardening" sites you visit.


Don't get any bright ideas.. Actual garden. Vegetables and flowers.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:53 pm

christopher_robin wrote:I still think that some of the posters here really don't understand the range of options available to a business model based on leveraging site traffic towards ad dollar remuneration and where this site fits on that spectrum, though.

I read ya loud & clear. Everything is different, but the same... things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller ... it's computers ... San Dimas High School football rules!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Isthmus online pop-ups/Covance

Postby blunt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:02 pm

sylvie wrote:It's bad enough that you accept advertising from animal torturing Covance, but I don't want their !@#$% pop-ups jumping up when I log in to Isthmus site
11


Maybe I do!
Life is a buffet.
If you don't like veal don't eat it.
But don't tell me what I can't have pop up.
Heh.
I guess you don't like drugs?
I do.
I guess you would rather have new risky drugs tried out on your ailing grandma?
I don't.
Or should we use more monkeys?
No.
I have done 3 Covance studies:
3000 bucks, 4000 bucks, and 3500 bucks.
I's not fun having your blood drawn every half hour and saving your poop in jars.
But your grandma is still alive.
You're welcome.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:30 pm

supaunknown wrote:
christopher_robin wrote:I still think that some of the posters here really don't understand the range of options available to a business model based on leveraging site traffic towards ad dollar remuneration and where this site fits on that spectrum, though.

I read ya loud & clear. Everything is different, but the same... things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller ... it's computers ... San Dimas High School football rules!


It's a clean foul.

how about this:
1. ads = teh suck but this bbs cost money
2. some ads are worse than others

Better?
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2888
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:46 am

Postby jammybastard » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm an equal opportunity ad blocker, I nuke everything.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5461
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area

Postby Shipley » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Right now someone is hard at work on software that will detect ad-blocker software and block the user from visiting the site at all.

I'd install it on my site in a heartbeat.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am
Location: college park, md

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 pm

What I hate are the lottery ads on madison.com. They drop down and cover up the whole top of the page with waves of tiny frisbees, and you have to wait until the dumb thing shuts down before you can read your article. After about three weeks of being annoyed I realized these ads were for the lottery, which wasn't immediately obvious. The state needs to rethink this campaign.

I am not about to play the lottery, I have never played the lottery, and I am quite certain I never will regardless of how long it annoys me. If it quits annoying me, will I buy a ticket? Why don't they try and see?

I am glad Isthmus hasn't had to run those things yet.

I don't mind things that flash on and off (like on the Isthmus page I'm using right now) as long as they don't jitter so fast they make my eyes dizzy. Then I try to move the window so they're off the side of the monitor.

I would agree with the suggestion to limit the number of loops the animated ads run before they settle down.

Lots of ads here are worthwhile:

I agree with whoever said Liz Lauer's house ads are click-worthy if you like house porn the way I do. (Right now I covet the charming 510 S. Dickinson St.) I also click some of the small retailers that'll show a mini-catalog of their products. And lots of people click entertainment ads to get the schedules.

My favorite time-waster is flickr. I can spend hours on there.

All this said, I think if Firefox added a feature where you could draw a black box over any ad that annoyed you, they would win the browser wars hands down. Too many advertisers cross the line between information and entertainment, and aggravation. Making an interesting ad is an undervalued art.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11314
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar