MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus online pop-ups/Covance

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby fennel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:01 am

Shipley wrote:Right now someone is hard at work on software that will detect ad-blocker software and block the user from visiting the site at all.

I'd install it on my site in a heartbeat.

Yep, like a restaurateur who insults the customers. "We know better than you what you come here for!"

It's a commonly accepted model, I grant you. But it's also a dying one.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 am

fennel wrote:
Shipley wrote:Right now someone is hard at work on software that will detect ad-blocker software and block the user from visiting the site at all.

I'd install it on my site in a heartbeat.

Yep, like a restaurateur who insults the customers. "We know better than you what you come here for!"

It's a commonly accepted model, I grant you. But it's also a dying one.

It's more like a restaurateur who can tell which diners are going to come in and order a meal, eat it, then skip out on the bill, and keeping them from walking in.

Plus, it's already almost here.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:14 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Plus, it's already almost here.

It's an arms race, and the anti-ad people will win, because they have greater numbers among the programmers with extra time on their hands.

I think what it boils down to is this: the more annoying the ads on your site, the more people will either block them or avoid the site. Going to block the extension or the browser? Unless you've got content that people must absolutely have, plan to see your traffic drop drastically.

While there is an extension to avoid Google text ads, I don't think it's nearly as utilized as the add-ons to avoid graphic ads that are, more often that not, both annoying and bandwidth hogs for those on dial-up (not many, but they're still there).

Let me put it this way-- would you rather have someone come up to you at a convention and casually ask if you'd like a brochure about something related to the meeting, or someone start screaming in your face about an offer totally unrelated to where you are?

Calm, but well-marked, related ads are, I think, where the money is. Google isn't hurting for cash these days, are they?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:30 am

Google, a well-financed, multi-billion dollar company is cool, but locally-owned independent media companies are not, at least among those who let blogs do their thinking for them.

It would be funny if it weren't so intensely stupid.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:11 am

ilikebeans wrote:It's an arms race, and the anti-ad people will win, because they have greater numbers among the programmers with extra time on their hands.

What will they win when the free content providers all dry up and the writers, artists, etc all have to find new jobs? No one is getting rich writing for a newspaper or working at a TV station in this town, and you take away the only thing that pays them and you can pretty much forget about ever seeing anything new again.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:20 am

Shipley wrote:What will they win when the free content providers all dry up and the writers, artists, etc all have to find new jobs? No one is getting rich writing for a newspaper or working at a TV station in this town, and you take away the only thing that pays them and you can pretty much forget about ever seeing anything new again.

Don't forget that if Net Neutrality goes down, ads will be all you see.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:48 am

jjoyce wrote:

Quite a bit of intense stupidity in this thread. It's like talking to fish.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:18 pm

jjoyce wrote:Google, a well-financed, multi-billion dollar company is cool, but locally-owned independent media companies are not, at least among those who let blogs do their thinking for them.

I'm not addressing the relative merit of the companies. I'm addressing how ads are presented. It doesn't take the resources of a multi-billion dollar company to format online advertising in an aesthetically-pleasing way.

The reason I'm using Google as an example is because they have made many of their billions from their approach to advertising. Granted, that's somewhat unfair, because most of it is tied into their search engine and competitive bidding on particular keywords to trigger the ads.

I do think, however, that their standard of small text ads, and some unobtrusive graphic ads, targeted to the page content, is a good approach.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Google was already one of the most visited sites on the web before they ran their first ad.

Google is a bad example no matter how you cut it. Google is a portal, The Daily Page is a destination.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Ok, Google example withdrawn. I'll instead summarize by saying that I'm much more apt to click on a non-intrusive ad than one that hogs the page and flashes at the corners of my vision while trying to focus on page content.

I guess jhain made that point quite a few posts ago.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 am

Ok fine but.
Is this thread about pop-up ads (which TDP doesn't have and everybody hates) or particular pop-up ads that offend particular people?
Wasn't the initial post a political demand that Covance ads be pulled, "pop-up ad" merely being what she mistakenly called it?
Interesting that I'm the only one that addressed Covance specifically...
Every five minutes or so someone sanctimoniously freaks out on certain ads Isthmus chooses to run.
Of course, most Isthmus readers are enlightened left-leaning greenies and progressives, right?
So wouldn't it be more subversive to just let these companies pay lots of cash to Isthmus for advertisements that won't pull in any customers?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:20 pm

I don't have to worry about seeing ads on this site anymore. They are now Xed out. I get this message at the top of the page: "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:security certificate errors."
I've been getting those today, too.

What gives, Jason?
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:54 pm

Upgrading (debatable) server software. Should only be temporary.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Fuck.
This is like talking to fish.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com