MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison Gastropub Article

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Is Restaurant Magnus a gastropub?

Yeah totally!
11%
No way!
89%

Total votes : 9

Madison Gastropub Article

Postby spanky » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:55 am

But how to define gastropub? It may be easier to name examples.

So what makes a Madison gastropub…Restaurant Magnus could even fall into the gastropub category.

Restaurant Magnus? A gastropub? C’mon… really? How does shoehorning that establishment into this article help define what a (Madison) gastropub is – as, apparently, was one of the stated goals? In my opinion, the reference to Magnus muddies the definition beyond recognition. If Magnus is a gastropub, every dimly lit, decent restaurant in the city qualifies. (It begs the question – what was the reason for including Restaurant Magnus in an article about “Welcoming the gastropubâ€Â
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:29 am

Cute names don't change the reality.
Montmarte yes, Weary Traveller, yes. Magnus, no.
Gastropubs are bars with great food.
Magnus is great food with a bar.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:48 am

who is the no talent hack who wrote this article?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:01 am

Y'know, the "no talent hack" comment hurts my feelings just as much in all lower-caps as it would if it were typographically correct.

I recall using a qualifier like "could" or "might" when referring to Magnus. But more than anything else, I was using it as a way to lead into Prentice's comments. I don't think it's as "gastropubby" (not a term I'm in love with personally, by the way) as, say, Nattspil. But it does have a very large bar area, and it houses live music (like a lot of clubs/bars do). It's close enough to merit mention, but blunt's distinction is probably more accurate.

As for change...well, how do you define change? How is change noticed? There is a state of being. Then something happens, and the state is changed.

There were a number of restaurants that opened 4-5 years ago (at the outset of the "gastropub" phenomenon): Weary, Nattspil at the forefront. Then not much. Now, a bunch of potential/close-to-gastropubs are opening: Alchemy, Brasserie V, Monroe St. Bistro, the new Mickey's menu, etc.

It seemed like a topic worth discussing. I'm not a PhD. It's just my opinion.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:07 am

depinmad wrote:who is the no talent hack who wrote this article?

Constructive criticism only please!

For the record, I enjoyed the article very much, aside from the two points noted above. I simply found it an odd way to define an admittedly vague concept.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:15 am

TheBookPolice wrote: I'm not a PhD.

But by any chance did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:22 am

narcoleptish wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote: I'm not a PhD.

But by any chance did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Boy, I wish. I'm having to defend my views on culinary taxonomy and the Tax and Spend Clause of the US Constitution, all before noon. Shit.

Oh, and it's worth noting that my submitted title/subtitle was "The Madison Gastropub: How this ambiguous style of eatery is changing the restaurant landscape." Editing is a boon, but it can sometimes make a minor modification that significantly muddies the waters.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Nice article book, been to most of those places, have to try the one closer to our hood (Malthouse). Brass V is still my favorite so far. There's a gastropub in Milwaukee that looks really excellent:

http://www.hinterlandbeer.com/restaurantmilwaukee.shtml

Almost decided to go for our dinner in Milwaukee tonight, but chose something else.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks jeff. I've had a Hinterland beer once or twice, but I have to say that I think brewpubs are different animals--if we're doing the whole "Adam in the garden" thing. Great Dane, Gray's Tied House, Ale Asylum....all have gastropub-ish components, but feel ultimately different because they brew their own.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to try the Hinterland joint, 'cause I would.

Here's another little insight for you, spanky. If I'd had more space, I was going to mention how the term has gone from signifying a specific thing, to signifying itself in a (self-)congratulatory way. For example, Madison Magazine's write-up of Erin's Snug Irish Pub calls it a "Gaelic gastropub." I question whether any place that serves spinach and artichoke dip--without a whiff of irony--can be called a "gastropub." And anyway, ain't no gastropub that doesn't pay its liquor license fees on time.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:12 pm

I agree it's not an appropriate term for Magnus, but they do have some really tasty cocktails and wines there. They recently added a bunch of tasty cocktails thanks to some new guy who worked in Denmark (something like that). I'm not normally a fan of sangria, but theirs is excellent.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:20 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Thanks jeff. I've had a Hinterland beer once or twice, but I have to say that I think brewpubs are different animals--if we're doing the whole "Adam in the garden" thing. Great Dane, Gray's Tied House, Ale Asylum....all have gastropub-ish components, but feel ultimately different because they brew their own.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to try the Hinterland joint, 'cause I would.

Here's another little insight for you, spanky. If I'd had more space, I was going to mention how the term has gone from signifying a specific thing, to signifying itself in a (self-)congratulatory way. For example, Madison Magazine's write-up of Erin's Snug Irish Pub calls it a "Gaelic gastropub." I question whether any place that serves spinach and artichoke dip--without a whiff of irony--can be called a "gastropub." And anyway, ain't no gastropub that doesn't pay its liquor license fees on time.

The menu from Hinterland is very "gastro" and they call themselves a "gastropub." Not sure if brewing one's own disqualifies, no idea about the etymology of the term.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bob Cobb » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:34 pm

I've always thought of Chili's as a gastropub. Why didn't you include them?
Bob Cobb
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Shouldn't you be "The Maestro?"
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bob Cobb » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:21 pm

I do not follow. My name is Bob Cobb and I'm in the book if you don't believe me.
Bob Cobb
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:23 pm

No you're not. I already did an article on SPAM, Bob. We don't need more.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com