MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Another John Mendels(s)ohn article

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:17 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:What difference does it make how he spells his name? It's the man's business.

Sure. It's his business if he wants to look like a pretentious ass. Fits his writing style to a tee.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby guytrenzich » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:03 pm

I wish to offer my heartfelt apologies to any Wisconsinite whose life I ruined by spelling my surname whimsically (for reasons having nothing on earth to do with “language conventionsâ€Â
guytrenzich

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:11 pm

Jeez, grumpypants. So I got it a little wrong:

My real name is with one ‘s.’ But when I was around 30, I thought it would be cute to add a second ‘s’ to make it like the classical composer. When I moved to England, I had to go back to the original one ‘s’ because my passport has one ‘s’ and my wife was spelling it with one ‘s.’ So I made the second ‘s’ optional. Hence the parentheses. On a scale of ‘not funny at all’ to my favorite Andy Kaufman moment or Monty Python sketch, it’s a little funny. It makes my byline slightly unusual.

The fact that your username here is yet another alias stretches the original conceit mighty thin.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2002-04-02/ ... s-so-good/

But hey, run with what works for ya.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19 pm

wait a minute. this guy is gone already?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:24 pm

[quote="guytrenzich"]

As for the guy who wrote "Somebody needs to smack this jackass,â€Â
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Another John Mendels(s)ohn article

Postby guytrenzich » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:45 pm

Henry Chinaski wrote:I just finished his article "Americn Idol and beyond" and could not believe that he was able to actually have this published:

"Sent to Dodge Correctional for intake,Rafeal had a room to himself until he turned 18. Thought small and slight, he wasn't raped even after entering the general prison population".

Wow. That's some hard hitting journalism there!!

I don't discount any criticism out of hand. I read this remark a week ago, and have been reflecting on it ever since. I must confess that I continue to regard it as perfectly legitimate to have asked Rafael if his prison experience as an 18-year-old included sexual assault, and then to have explained why it hadn't. I believe his being immune to sexual assault at the price of being required to join in any fight involving a fellow gang member, even a lifer, is an interesting part of the story.

Mr. Henry Chinaski may be interested to know that I've now left Madison, which means there may be a freelance slot opening at the Isthmus. Given his superior ability to discern Valid Journalism, I would think he'd be a perfect fit for it.

Or maybe he's just another truculent little gnawer of the ankles of those he envies.
guytrenzich

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:51 am

guytrenzich wrote:
I don't discount any criticism out of hand. I read this remark a week ago, and have been reflecting on it ever since. I must confess that I continue to regard it as perfectly legitimate to have asked Rafael if his prison experience as an 18-year-old included sexual assault, and then to have explained why it hadn't. I believe his being immune to sexual assault at the price of being required to join in any fight involving a fellow gang member, even a lifer, is an interesting part of the story.

Mr. Henry Chinaski may be interested to know that I've now left Madison, which means there may be a freelance slot opening at the Isthmus. Given his superior ability to discern Valid Journalism, I would think he'd be a perfect fit for it.

Or maybe he's just another truculent little gnawer of the ankles of those he envies.

Valid Journalism? In caps?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:07 am

juanton wrote:Valid Journalism? In caps?

In his case, it really should be Vapid Journalism. Good rid(d)ance.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:51 am

[quote="guytrenzich"]As for the guy who wrote "Somebody needs to smack this jackass,â€Â
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Besides, everyone knows that real punk spellings would use a circumflex. Or an octothrope.

Also, if you're going to liken yourself to Felix Mendelssohn, you'd better damn well be able to write a good violin concerto.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:42 pm

It appears the subject of this thread isn't just going away, he's going away angry. Maybe I misread it, but he appears to feel he was treated unfairly by the Madison rubes (jammy not included).

Is it true that we didn't realize what we had with JM until his star blinked out?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:55 pm

What, you didn't know he was an expert Web designer, either?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:58 pm

jjoyce wrote:Is it true that we didn't realize what we had with JM until his star blinked out?

You're already paying one antagonistic cheap-shot-artist loudmouth. I think one's enough.

Are we sure (s) isn't also beenthere?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Here's my favorite part:

As though Madison doesn’t have more truculent whiners, crybabies, and cheap shot-takers per capita than any other city in the Americas.

So says the guy who posts a truculent, whiney, cheap-shot slag-o-crap as his last act before fleeing town, his rhetorical tail between his legs.

To recap:

Snotty asshole with no sense of proportion regarding his own level of talent as writer/critic arives in town with a fanfare of self-promotion, proclaiming how he will shine the brilliant light of his intellect on our benighted backwater.

Gets ass handed to him on plate.

Cries like baby; leaves.

Works for me - in that there will be one less truculent whining cry-baby taking up valuable bar space at Mickey's.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:48 pm

guytrenzich wrote:I wish to offer my heartfelt apologies to any Wisconsinite whose life I ruined by spelling my surname whimsically (for reasons having nothing on earth to do with "language conventions"). It was a foolish, selfish, and thoughtless thing for me to have done...

Nope, it was just whimsical, which is bad enough to warrant your heartfelt apologies.

Now how about an apology for overuse of "truculent"? It's not as bad as whimsy, but it still gives me the shudders. (Marvell gets a pass under the fair use doctrine, so don't even go there.)

Huh, just realized your "heartfelt apologies" bit is a straight pickup from your Dane 101 whine. That's some lazy shit.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com