MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Hainstock cover story

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Isthmus, pull out a mirror.

Postby theisthmushatesteachers » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:48 pm

I was shocked to see the isthmus cover story-Free at Last. After reading the story I realized I should not have been shocked. The isthmus has been very consistent in their contempt for our schools and teachers. I am a teacher in the Madison Metropolitan School District. I have been on many community committees looking at school redesign, school funding, etc. At all of these meeting when we discuss how we will get our message out to the public, some new person to Madison usually announces, “We should contact the isthmusâ€Â
theisthmushatesteachers

Postby voter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:18 pm

[quote="drinkinblackcoffee"]I would say that given Eric's mental illness there is little chance that his side of the story regarding his childhood is not exagerrated.]

Shawn Hainstock says his son was so regularly beaten up at Weston he considered pressing charges.

Mrs Klang in a reaction statement to this Isthmus article says Eric's parents were abusive.

Both kids and adults have corroborated that Hainstock was in fact neglected, abandoned, abused and bullied.

The State didn't want a 15 yr old who caused a school shooting to be released at 25, though by then he'd have spent 40% of his life behind bars and the years before that, as one of Shawn Hainstock's friends put it, treated like a tied up dog.
voter

Postby medbh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:10 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:
Eric is stable now because he has a rigid enviroment that he has little ability to manipulate. Its where he belongs and where he should stay. Hopefully 25 years in this enviroment will be enough to undo the damage in his psyche.

I have a cousin who was adopted, and most likely has fetal alcohol syndrome (or fetal alcohol effects). He has no impulse control and will go along with anything his friends suggest. Since he was about 15, he's been cycling in and out of jail and group homes. The sad/strange thing is that he does wonderfully while in jail. He follows all the rules and does what he's supposed to (and so he gets released), but as soon as he loses that structure and oversight he gets into trouble again. He never physically hurts anyone, but he breaks the law (stealing, driving without a license, etc.).

He basically needs someone to tell him what to do and to force him into a healthy routine. I've causally known other people who behave like this as well, and I wish we had other options for these folks besides jail. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper, the community would be safer, and would be a better life for the folks who keep making trouble too.

Perhaps Eric could have benefited from this kind of placement as well. My impression is that people here think that Eric should have been removed from his parents, but foster care isn't great either. I faintly remember that Eric could have stayed with other relatives or something, but that's not always available. I think most people think orphanages are horrible, but maybe they could be redesigned somehow to reduce the negatives. Some kids (and even adults) might really benefit from a more long-term, highly structured living arrangement.
medbh
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:19 am

medbh wrote: He basically needs someone to tell him what to do and to force him into a healthy routine. I've causally known other people who behave like this as well, and I wish we had other options for these folks besides jail. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper, the community would be safer, and would be a better life for the folks who keep making trouble too.

In the good old days, those people would have joined the army.

Nowadays? The army just fucks them up more.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Isthmus, pull out a mirror.

Postby Bad Gradger » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:07 pm

theisthmushatesteachers wrote:I was shocked to see the isthmus cover story-Free at Last. After reading the story I realized I should not have been shocked. The isthmus has been very consistent in their contempt for our schools and teachers....

Now, search for Madison Metropolitan School District on the thedailypage. Thankfully they gave school board candidates time to address questions, but beyond that, it is assaulting our efforts under unimaginable circumstances over and over again in the pages of their paper.

How did the article show "contempt for our schools and teachers"? The way I read it, John Klang comes off as a guy who did the best he could for a kid with all kinds of issues, but was limited by a byzantine system of child welfare laws and practices.
I did not think that we would have to pay with the blood of one of our own for the legislature’s inaction on public school finance reform.

That's one hell of a reach. I think you're the first person who's ever made that particular connection. Would you care to connect the dots for the rest of us?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby theisthmushatesteachers » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:14 am

The state legislature is assuring that the needs of our our children in our schools are not met. School districts are dissolving across our state. Weston school district itself will probably not last another two or three years before they too will dissolve. Until they finally go under all things that keep children engaged, safe, and protected will slowly erode in the schools. The state legislature has been underfunding schools for years and years. It reminds me of the bridge collapse in Minnesota. Because we do not invest in our infrastructure, a bridge fell, and so did a man who tried his best under a broken funding system.
theisthmushatesteachers

Re: Isthmus, pull out a mirror.

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:13 pm

theisthmushatesteachers wrote:I was shocked to see the isthmus cover story-Free at Last. After reading the story I realized I should not have been shocked...The isthmus quickly, and regularly, points the finger at other institutions. Take out the mirror. Use the power of the pen to honor a man who gave his life for the promise of the future.

I'm shocked that you didn't get attacked for 3 weeks, like I did, for trying to constructively criticize the Isthmus.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com