MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

pet peeve about your flippin' graphics

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

pet peeve about your flippin' graphics

Postby chance » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:12 am

Looking at your story on the upcoming Sugar Maple fest ("That old-time religion"), I first thought to myself, "Wow, look at that neat left-handed 5-string Mike Seeger's holding!". Then I thought, "Wait a minute, Seeger's not left-handed, is he ?!?". Then I realized it was probably just another occasion of some graphics person flipping a photo to satisfy some sense they have that it looks better that way in terms of its placement on the page and in relation to the headline and body text. Image
I always find this weird, particularly when it's accompanying a story about music and musicians, and when it's a photo of a well-known musician with their instrument. A musician's handedness is part of who they are. The setup of their instrument is part of how they do what they do. Flipping a photo of them does not produce an interchangeably equivalent image. (It subtly changes faces, too...). Accuracy in photojournalism ought to trump concerns about the overall "look" of a graphic in relation to the page.

You can see a version of the original image, which your graphics person "flipped", here:www.modernguitars.com/archives/003776.html This is what Mike Seeger and his banjo look like:Image
chance
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:43 pm

The art director tells me this is how the photo came to us, presumably from an agency. The only alteration Isthmus made was to the color.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:25 pm

jjoyce wrote:The art director tells me this is how the photo came to us, presumably from an agency. The only alteration Isthmus made was to the color.

Yeah, well. I notice that in this week's Onion, with their little blurb about Sugar Maple, they've got this same photo of Mike Seeger -- and it's printed in the correct orientation.
chance
Forum Addict

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com