MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, March 5, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 12.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Pug Mahones TDP Review

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:22 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:It was meant to be funny.

Now THAT's funny.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:28 pm

Hooray! I'm a success! Mom was right after all.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Personally, I think all restaurant reviews should start with, "The food did not make me vomit."

Or, alternatively:

"The food made me vomit."

Everything else is just filler.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:02 pm

Is there no middle ground? Such as: "The food made me vurp, but I held it down."

Or maybe the food then is filler in the literal sense.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:06 pm

This is the final outrage as far as I'm concerned. First a bagel as "fringe food"? Now a "review" about nothing?

Have the Isthmus editors no respect for our time? Our intellects?

I demand that Bookie be sent back to the bush leagues to develop some class of reviewing skills before he disgraces this esteemed website yet again.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:10 pm

I was worried we'd found a subject into which you couldn't force yourself, Ned.

Whew!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:27 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I was worried we'd found a subject into which you couldn't force yourself, Ned.

Whew!

For the sake of the group, I'd be happy to help you punch up your next attempt, but the problem goes so much deeper than that. I mean, we're dealing with the Corkification of restaurant reviews here.

Let me discuss with Joycie and I'll get back to you.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:30 pm

I'm sorry to break it to you, but I don't care about anything you say. I haven't cared for...well, it's hard to say that I've ever really cared about anything you've ever said.

Contrary to what Jason thinks of what you bring to this website, I believe you bring nothing to this website. You insult, you derail, and you lie.

I don't care if you don't like my writing; any number of people don't. It's your right. So I'd hate for you to think that I'm doing this because you criticized me. But I will not respond to your commentary from this point on. You and Bob are roommates now. Go fight over the top bunk.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:33 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I'm sorry to break it to you, but I don't care about anything you say. I haven't cared for...well, it's hard to say that I've ever really cared about anything you've ever said.

Contrary to what Jason thinks of what you bring to this website, I believe you bring nothing to this website. You insult, you derail, and you lie.

I don't care if you don't like my writing; any number of people don't. It's your right. So I'd hate for you to think that I'm doing this because you criticized me. But I will not respond to your commentary from this point on. You and Bob are roommates now. Go fight over the top bunk.

Bookie, I'm just asking you to have a little respect for your readers. If you're on deadline and you don't have the information, just do what the New York Times does: make it up--

I had the burger--fantastic!
The cheese curds, sublime.
The chicken caesar made me cluck with delight!
The fudge-bottom pie was pooped from god's own angels directly onto my plate.

We laughed! We sang! We danced!

This ain't brain surgery,

Sheesh!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:52 pm

Bookie (and Christopher too), don't sweat the armchair critic-critics.

Isthmus editors should've held off posting the review until you'd had a proper taste.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:01 pm

supaunknown wrote:Isthmus editors should've held off posting the review until you'd had a proper taste.

The problem is, I was building up a head of steam about just getting something cranked out. I was going to do ackee and codfish for a Fringe Foods piece in honor of Jamaican Independence Day, but when I got to David's Jamaican, they were awaiting their next shipment of ackee direct from Jamaica.

So I got stymied there. I picked Pug Mahones because it's kinda close to home, and contrary to what some people think, I actually do want to increase my bar literacy. You might be able to imagine my frustration at finding I was getting menublocked twice in a week.

With all of this in mind, I will probably get there again some time soon to try the real food.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:56 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:The problem is, I was building up a head of steam about just getting something cranked out.

Do we care? Not trying to be mean(seriously), but do the readers care about or want to know about the deadline issue you had? Nah, they only want to hear about how the stuff tastes. Instead of calling out things you could have had, I would have gone back after your employer had the details worked out. Heck, you probably could have called and asked for the hours yourself.

What's that mantra/mind set/policy the New York Times uses when reviewing restaurants?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:49 pm

For fuck's sake. I take it all back. Better? I un-publish the review. Everyone pretend you never saw it. In fact, clear your cache, give away your computer, and start over from scratch.

It's a style. It's my style. Would you rather I assumed that all you people are morons who won't notice that all I'm talking about is jalapeno fucking poppers? Or would you rather I tried to make an admittedly thin review into something at least mildly entertaining, if not the most informative?

TDP had the full right to say "Thanks, Kyle, but this review is crap. We're not publishing it. We appreciate the effort, maybe next time."

They didn't.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 pm

yo kyle, relax. people are busting your balls, don't sweat it. fuck em, you got paid, right?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wanda » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:33 pm

Wow, rough crowd. People are busting TBP's chops for commenting on cheese curds more harshly than than they are Brian Lawler for being a high school reunion late-ass knob, neighbor-stalking, psycho with a failing nudie cleaning/prostitution service.
Wanda
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com