MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Nastiest forum "discussions"

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Nastiest forum topics

Food fights in Eats
21%
Aural arguments in Music
29%
Political cat fights in Current Events
50%

Total votes : 14

Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:00 pm

My order:

1. Foodies

2. Music Buffs

3. Politicos

Although recently the posts from the gourmets and gourmands have been pretty tame.

And yes, Super Tramp sucks, but there is nothing wrong with the Talking Heads, except that Burn Down the House has been running on a continuous loop in the back of my brain for over 20 years.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby buckyor » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:49 pm

I very rarely check out the music forums, but if someone over there is dissing the Talking Heads, there's gonna be trouble.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:15 pm

I really liked the Talking Heads. Fear of Music is a great loopy weird album and it was the springboard for delving into more of their music. I liked some of the early stuff and even dug Speaking in Tongues which seems to be where they started treading water.
I didn't mind hearing them with their radio hits for the next few years, heck I even started playing "And She Was" at the open mics because folks liked hearing it. I was kind of glad when they called it quits as they seemed to have gone in a direction that wasn't that interesting. I wasn't surprised to see David Byrne try to jump out in the spotlight but listening to his "new" music did little for me besides make me suddenly sick of his voice. I saw video for some song of his that was basically a straight up rip off of "Once in a Lifetime" and I thought, are you not aware of how foolish this appears?
Over the years, I've trotted out my Heads records here and there and found most of it to create nostalgia and little else. They're a great band but not one that has aged all that well for me. And Byrne's solo music is interesting but when I hear it I just think of it as a hollow imitation of what isn't even that interesting to me anymore.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:46 am

Cooked to Temperaturegate was passionate but stayed on topic; therefore it's got nothing on the political troll-feeding.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:03 am

i wasn't gonna get involved in this, but what the fuck:

the talking head suck shit. it's hilarious that with all the midwestern shit talking that goes on around here about legitimately great east coast bands, the one you guys seem to have the least problem with is the art-faggiest, lamest of them all.

on the other hand, supertramp rules. seriously.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:04 am

I think we need a thread awards thread. Come up with some categories. My favorite this year was the thread about the foursome gone wrong in Cambridge and that wonderful "teacher" who was here so very briefly.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:21 am

depinmad wrote:i wasn't gonna get involved in this, but what the fuck:

the talking head suck shit. it's hilarious that with all the midwestern shit talking that goes on around here about legitimately great east coast bands, the one you guys seem to have the least problem with is the art-faggiest, lamest of them all.

OK. Since we're all jumping in this pool ...

Growing up, I loved both Breakfast in America and Remain in Light. Big time. Listened to them a crapload.

Let's just say the Supertramp ain't soundin' so good any more. I never liked their other albums much even at the time.

Talking Heads, however, I generally still like a lot, at least through Remain in Light. I don't buy the complaints that their whole deal was appropriating/recycling other cultures music; when they went that direction, they did it in a way that sounded like a natural progression from their past music. Was anyone else doing that in 1980, and managing to be successful at it? I mean, the Knack is fine, but if you're gonna complain about ripping off past music that's not the band to champion.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:23 am

Yeah, I miss Sheppy and Mad Mind at their best.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:24 am

minicat wrote:
depinmad wrote:i wasn't gonna get involved in this, but what the fuck:

OK. Since we're all jumping in this pool ...

Growing up, I loved both Breakfast in America and Remain in Light. Big time. Listened to them a crapload.

Let's just say the Supertramp ain't soundin' so good any more. I never liked their other albums much even at the time.

Talking Heads, however, I generally still like a lot, at least through Remain in Light. I don't buy the complaints that their whole deal was appropriating/recycling other cultures music; when they went that direction, they did it in a way that sounded like a natural progression from their past music. Was anyone else doing that in 1980, and managing to be successful at it? I mean, the Knack is fine, but if you're gonna complain about ripping off past music that's not the band to champion.

i'm not making that complaint about talking heads. i could not care less about appropriating or recycling in music. i just think they sucked.
the knack, on the other hand, were/are awesome, and not just get the knack.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:36 am

What the heck. Let's move it over here.

It's not the recycling I hate. I love the Knack and Oasis for goodness sakes.

It's how poorly the THs do it that bugs me. Bad funk, bad art school rock, bad world music. They're like every white suburban blues band. They sound okay doing it until you hear the real thing.

I think too many people are way too "rock" centric when it comes to music*. Jazz musicians have successfully used all kinds of music from all over the world as a jumping off point for decades. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a jazzbo using latin influences throughout the '60's. If the farthest your ears have ever taken you is Supertramp then yeah the THs are gonna sound innovative. If you've heard actual African/world music not so much.

*I know that for plenty of posters here that's not true of...but go with me.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:21 am

Dep, i was referring to the thread this has jumped from re: the recycling, not just your response (which Dave is responding in regards to).

And Dave, yeah, I was comparing rock bands only ... though if you wanna include all genres, I would argue that many jazz musicians incorporate their influences from other cultures about as well as the Talking Heads do. Just because something's "jazz" doesn't make clumsiness inherently more competent. If it did, I'd only play jazz music.

Anyway, beauty is in the ear of the listener for all music, whether one likes Throbbing Gristle or John Mayer.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:25 am

minicat wrote:I would argue that many jazz musicians incorporate their influences from other cultures about as well as the Talking Heads do.

And I'd agree with you.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:29 am

dave esmond wrote:
minicat wrote:I would argue that many jazz musicians incorporate their influences from other cultures about as well as the Talking Heads do.

And I'd agree with you.

That's what I love about music. There's no absolutes*. Heck, I recently discovered that the first few '70s Osmonds albums (produced by Rick Hall, of all people) are good bubblegum/Jackson Five rip-offs.

Was this supposed to be a flame war or something? Err ... JAZZ SUX.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:38 am

minicat wrote:Heck, I recently discovered that the first few '70s Osmonds albums (produced by Rick Hall, of all people) are good bubblegum/Jackson Five rip-offs.

Ha!

I knew you might be the other nut buying those at St V's. Did you get the one where they're dressed like pimps on the cover?

Was this supposed to be a flame war or something? Err ... JAZZ SUX.

This is never gonna work minicat. We both have vinyl poisoning.

Out of respect, and the fact that I heard some I liked, I refuse to play the Segar card.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:06 am

depinmad wrote:the knack, on the other hand, were/are awesome, and not just get the knack.

I wasn't around for The Knack, but people actually liked the "My Sharona" band? That blows my mind.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com