MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Nastiest forum "discussions"

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Nastiest forum topics

Food fights in Eats
21%
Aural arguments in Music
29%
Political cat fights in Current Events
50%

Total votes : 14

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby Bunny Chow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:33 pm

depinmad wrote:this is why i love me some harrissimo.

please tell me you're not a girlscout.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:59 pm

harrissimo wrote:
blunt wrote:But seeing Wags upset gets me upset.

Silly boy, Wags is always upset about something. It doesn't have anything to do with you.

Dont blame yourself: hormonal imbalance.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:36 am

Wow, I missed all of this enormously fun clusterf*ck. Time to pile on.

Talking Heads are pedantic and no fun to listen to. David Byrne is annoying. VERY annoying. I really don't understand how folks enjoy listening to this band. They're arguably the basis for most bad white funk bands since their inception. No thanks.

Caveat emptor: I used to simply "not care for" TH, until I worked part-time at a used CD/DVD emporium where each employee had a rotation of music they'd listen to. After a solid month straight of that god-awful live 2+ hour thing, I'd had enough. I can't find anything redeeming about that band for myself. YRMV.

The Knack were grand. "Oh but My Sharona is so overplayed. Oh they're just stupid pop/rock. Oh they were such a corporate machine." Whatever. This was a band that gigged constantly in LA for a few years playing 60's-inspired pop/rock in the midst of disco and punk, and managed to build themselves up as a huge draw based on their great songs, playing and showmanship. Get The Knack is a masterpiece not only for the songs, but the pure musicianship and the clean production, everything crystal-clear and natural. Dudes could seriously play, and not really in a show-off manner.

I'm not as familiar with their follow-ups, because honestly whenever I try to listen to ....But The Little Girls Understand, I just throw the debut on instead. I did like the 3rd album Round Trip quite a bit though.

Thunderdome: Knack > TH (even though it is really apples & oranges.....sweet sweet apples vs. rotten oranges)
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:16 pm

you need to check out "serious fun" and especially "zoom" which is probably the most get the knack like of all their other albums.

then again you also need to get back to ... but the little girls understand, because side one of that might as well be side three of get the knack.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:22 pm

depinmad wrote:you need to check out "serious fun" and especially "zoom" which is probably the most get the knack like of all their other albums.

then again you also need to get back to ... but the little girls understand, because side one of that might as well be side three of get the knack.

I think I have both of those on CDR somewhere, I'll have to dig 'em up.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:54 pm

I like little girls.
One of the best Oingo Boingo songs ever.
Talking Heads is amazing.
they are not a funk band nor a world music band.
Simply being unable to understand something doesn't make it bad.
Quantum physics is still the best way to decsribe subatomic activity.
Kyle: you need to reevaluate yourself and the universe.
You have missed almost everything.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:33 pm

one of the nastiest and also one of my favourites was one i inadvertently brought up in a search recently which is about four years old and by some miracle still here:

[dane] county board -- who is running where and why?

topic nº 1459
local politics & government - started 08. december 2003, last post 10. march 2004, 82 posts total

link: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1459&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gawenda&start=60

a poster with the screen name hans grüber (now rendered by the software to look something like "grabifker"...what would it do to the names milošević, karađžić, šandor, čepek, karađorđević, or dvořak, i wonder) started griping about p.d.c. (a group that in the main is fine with me, they are the s.p.d. to our c.d.u./c.s.u., s.p.ö. to our ö.v.p. or whatever u prefer) and was soon saying "bring it on bitch!". i know the guy and to this day don't know what set him off that night. maybe it was a bout of hard drinking and/or a run-in with unreasonable people? i wish he would come back to i.d.p.f. (fix his screen name, maybe, so he can log in? just one theory) so he could tell the story himself, but here goes the inside reference as i understand it to the best of my knowledge and belief:

the incident to which herr grüber was referring was part of a series of incidents related to an earlier incarnation of i.d.p.f. -- back in the day his brother was dissing a politician for being an arsehole, prevaricator and other things, so one of the politician's lovers/wholesalers/snuff film investors looks up who he thinks it is in the telephone directory and goes pounding on his door and shouting at 3 in the morning (that's right folks, 03.00, 09.00 gmt u know?) and wakes up all the neighbours, and everyone in the house, including his sister who wants to go downstairs with a baseball bat and cousin who wanted to weaponise a 100-count bottle of scopolamine tablets with a hammer and rolling-pin and blow it in the guy's face with one of those air horns people take to basketball games.

but the fellow doing doors for his beloved wanker politician at 03.00 on a thursday morning was off by 8 km/5 miles or so. the recipient of the visit had not written anything on i.d.p.f. to that point but came to share the views of the actual writer for different reasons in time, and became an i.d.p.f. poster about three years later when living in a community outside the city and m.m.s.d.; longer-term i.d.p.f. readers may remember him as the original proponent and later an assistant editor of a digest of fox river valley news and a spinoff animal news periodic post which appeared in one of the news categories.

the brother got his abuse soon enough in the form of an angry, coked-up phone call and an apparent, also mis-executed "outing" attempt on i.d.p.f. (posted by this arsehole hypocritcally using the cover of anonymity then available on the board) as far as anyone knows, the name posted was some hapless activist or someone with a similar name who had nothing to do with the row -- it got erased too so i can't say for certain who.

i was also told at the time that the perpetrator "had a police file that takes a big irish cop to lift." sounds like some of the bosses in places i've worked...

about a month later someone threw a bag of nº 10 steel washers and a half-eaten submarine sandwich from iron mike's super subs through the window of his front porch, and herr grüber himself got a series of drunken and unintelligible voice mail messages from a central madison exchange at the approximate same time, even though he already lived in milwaukee at the time and also did not post to i.d.p.f. well, until he started getting drunken calls from madison, i guess.

damn, people sure got sensitive & tetchy about that cow. one of the other time-bomb high-traffic posters here who is a big radio personality and tough guy and shit tried to get me censored for questioning the party line in my own indelicate way...well, i say funk that faction of the d.c.d.p. & n.w.p.c. and their dupes within the labour movement in the lower intestinal tract with a big rubber dick. do a god damn colonoscopy on them with a chainsaw for all i care. it is not heresy, and i will not recant! that's my two gröschen and fsck u if u don't like it.

oppps...
Last edited by gozer on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 pm

gozer, I see you are out of rehab (again) and now have access to the internets. And off the wagon so soon.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:gozer, I see you are out of rehab (again) and now have access to the internets. And off the wagon so soon.

no, no, u don't understand -- when u use dilaudid and numorphan in a manner inconsistent with its labelling it makes u love everyone. would u say that characterises my contributions to i.d.p.f. any more than six per cent of the time?

by the way i never had a problem with temptation to do that but maybe a time or 50 in the 25 years i've legitimately been on the stuff, or m, or vilan or dipidolor or palf or percs/oxy/eukodol or 30 others.

"Bob laughed to himself as he pictured blues [Numorphan® (oxymorphone) tablets] and Dilaudid in such great amounts that the spoon would literally be overflowing. Upon entering his vein the drug would start a warm itch that would surge along until it hit the brain in a gentle explosion that began in the back of the neck and rose rapidly, until he felt such pleasure that the whole world took on a soft, lofty appeal. Everything was grand then. Your worst enemy -- he wasn't so bad. The ants in the grass -- they were just doing their thing. Everything took on the rosy hue of unlimited success; you could do no wrong; life was beautiful.""
--drugstore cowboy, page 11-12

i fully concur, and u people should be so lucky to have i.d.p.f. contributors shoot up a load of d or numorphan before posting on a regular basis heh heh heh

actually going off the wagon or otherwise being lit up by the big d has more to do with the extended intervals of lurking....was it william s. burroughs who said the most perfect silence is when there is no need to speak?

crude ed
madison 06.xi.2008
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com