MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Att: Alternativevoice

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby harrissimo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:17 am

Hi AV, I just added you to my friends list.

These forums are a trip aren't they. Sometimes it seems everyone just hates you. I know how that feels like because I have said some things here from time to time which were, shall we say, provocative. It hurts when everyone seems to hate you. So I am offering my hand in friendship to you because I know what you are going through.

I would give you some advice on how you might get along better on here, how you might frame your arguments in a way that may get people to be more receptive to your point of view. Maybe not agree with you but at least not be so hostile to you. But I know it won't help. It won't help because that is not why you are posting. I understand why you are the way you are. Man, I understand too well my friend. I am recovering from the same state of mind that you suffer from. And belief me Jason Joyce understands very very well because he as been at this game for a long time and he runs a tight ship. He understands that some of us post because we crave attention, validation and, yes, love. We have all sorts of pent up hostilities and frustrations let we can vent here but there is a price for that venting and that is the price you are paying.

So I offer my hand in friendship AV. And if you ever want any hints on how you can get along better with people here on the forums just drop me an email at harris@harrissimo.com. My door is always open AV.

All the best to you AV.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 am
Location: Spaight Street on the Isthmus of Madison

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby AlternativeVoice » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:29 am

Well thank you for being polite, but I don't worry too much about people hating me. I don't worry about how others on some message board judge me, I judge myself. I make sure to always be principled and thoughtful, to never lie or act in a hateful way, and to never say something that I wouldn't say to the person in real life. As long as I am doing the right thing, I know I'm doing the right thing. When others viciously attack me for committing the heinous crime of challenging far left wing orthodoxy and dogma, it only reflects on how close-minded they are. And I feel pity, not anger. So don't worry about me, I'm fine.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 am

You still haven't emailed me or supplied your real first and last name, so your comments remain on hold, which is where they'll stay for another few days until they're deleted altogether.

Perhaps making your point here on Forum, anonymously, is more your style, and certainly there's nothing wrong with that. But there's a higher standard when you wish to publish remarks alongside an article which has been vetted by an editor and includes the name of the actual person who wrote it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby harrissimo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:56 am

AlternativeVoice wrote:So don't worry about me, I'm fine.


Cool. I won't worry about you then.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 am
Location: Spaight Street on the Isthmus of Madison

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby AlternativeVoice » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:36 pm

jjoyce wrote:You still haven't emailed me or supplied your real first and last name, so your comments remain on hold, which is where they'll stay for another few days until they're deleted altogether.

Perhaps making your point here on Forum, anonymously, is more your style, and certainly there's nothing wrong with that. But there's a higher standard when you wish to publish remarks alongside an article which has been vetted by an editor and includes the name of the actual person who wrote it.



First of all, I don't know what kind of "higher standards" you want in commenting since you allowed that anti-semitic terrorist propaganda trash to actually be published as a full article. But I've changed my posting name yet again, so we can see if you'll accept that one. You do not know my real name, and I will not give you my real name, and I assure you that most of the people on here do not give their real names either. So if you want to play this game then we can, but it's really stupid and discriminatory to make me keep changing my posting name while you allow others to keep their fake names.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:41 pm

God you're an idiot. What game? The game where a private entity has rules for posting on public articles that you for some reason don't feel you should have to follow? Post here on these threads as anonymously as you want but if you want to post on a published article supply the necessary information or fuck off. BTW Where in that article do you find this support for Hamas?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby harrissimo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:I make sure to always be principled and thoughtful, to never lie or act in a hateful way. . .


By supplying a phony name to tdp you are lying.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 am
Location: Spaight Street on the Isthmus of Madison

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:First of all, I don't know what kind of "higher standards" you want in commenting since you allowed that anti-semitic terrorist propaganda trash to actually be published as a full article. But I've changed my posting name yet again, so we can see if you'll accept that one. You do not know my real name, and I will not give you my real name, and I assure you that most of the people on here do not give their real names either. So if you want to play this game then we can, but it's really stupid and discriminatory to make me keep changing my posting name while you allow others to keep their fake names.


I'm unwilling to play games, too. Your comments will be deleted.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:43 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:really stupid and discriminatory


The unintentional irony alert level has just been elevated to 'orange.'
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:22 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:We're already decades away from peace... let's not make things worse.

Right. We wouldn't want to turn back the great progress Israel made by bombing the fuck out of Gaza and likely violating international law in the process.

With progress like that, who needs Armageddon?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby AlternativeVoice » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:We're already decades away from peace... let's not make things worse.

Right. We wouldn't want to turn back the great progress Israel made by bombing the fuck out of Gaza and likely violating international law in the process.

With progress like that, who needs Armageddon?



Israel has not broken a single international law. In fact, they have shown more restraint in this war than any other army in the history of the world. This is really not even disputable (you can argue that the US shows more restraint in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I think that's a different situation... I don't think the US - or any other country - would show nearly as much restraint if they were facing daily attacks by an enemy next door).
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby AlternativeVoice » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:23 pm

jjoyce wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:First of all, I don't know what kind of "higher standards" you want in commenting since you allowed that anti-semitic terrorist propaganda trash to actually be published as a full article. But I've changed my posting name yet again, so we can see if you'll accept that one. You do not know my real name, and I will not give you my real name, and I assure you that most of the people on here do not give their real names either. So if you want to play this game then we can, but it's really stupid and discriminatory to make me keep changing my posting name while you allow others to keep their fake names.


I'm unwilling to play games, too. Your comments will be deleted.



Let me explain this to you. Read it carefully and I'm sure you can understand it:


You have no way of knowing who is giving their real name or not. Most people do NOT give their real names. I know people who are on here and who for a fact are not giving their real names but who are allowed to post. So whatever name I put, you have no way of knowing whether it's my real name or not. So you can't POSSIBLY have a rule where you delete comments by those who give fake names because you have no way of enforcing such a rule.

Therefore your rule is not at all that people must have real names. Your rule is that you have the ultimate ability to choose whomever you want to post. And so if you choose to not allow me to post then that's just because you don't want my voice to be heard.

But of course, we knew that all along. We knew that people launching personal attacks and telling others to "fuck off" are completely welcome (unless you plan on banning half of the posters on this thread), but people who dare to defend freedom, liberty and the Constitution with principle, honesty and courage are not wanted. Because as we all know, these forums are not about debating real issues. They're about far left wing circle jerks, and vicious personal attacks about anybody who dares to challenge the far left wing dogma and orthodoxy.


So play this game all you want. But don't lie and pretend that this has anything to do with the name I chose to post under.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby AlternativeVoice » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:25 pm

harrissimo wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:I make sure to always be principled and thoughtful, to never lie or act in a hateful way. . .


By supplying a phony name to tdp you are lying.



No I'm not. Read my last comment. I'm actually being more honest and principled than others by pointing out the flaw in the system here. They want people to give real names, but they have no way of checking. I am pointing out the flaw in that system.

If I wanted to lie, I'd simply have chosen the name "Jason Johnson" and just signed up. They would have just assumed it was a real name and moved on..... it's not like they can check. But I chose to point out the silliness of the system. And I'm being punished by being censored. Or at least that's their argument. I have long believed that the bigger issue is silencing voices who dare to challenge orthodoxy and dogma. They have done nothing to shake me from that belief.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby harrissimo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:45 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:
harrissimo wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:I make sure to always be principled and thoughtful, to never lie or act in a hateful way. . .


By supplying a phony name to tdp you are lying.



No I'm not. Read my last comment. I'm actually being more honest and principled than others by pointing out the flaw in the system here. They want people to give real names, but they have no way of checking. I am pointing out the flaw in that system.

If I wanted to lie, I'd simply have chosen the name "Jason Johnson" and just signed up. They would have just assumed it was a real name and moved on..... it's not like they can check. But I chose to point out the silliness of the system. And I'm being punished by being censored. Or at least that's their argument. I have long believed that the bigger issue is silencing voices who dare to challenge orthodoxy and dogma. They have done nothing to shake me from that belief.


AV, my friend. I know that I will not convince you but you are incorrect on several points.

1. It is not relevant if other people are supplying phony names. What is relevant is that tdp is asking you to provide them with your real name and you used a phony name which is untruthful in other words a lie. It makes no difference if you are honest about using a phony name. It is still not truthful.

2. You can check to see if the names are real. Right now I am working a consulting job that involves the checking of names, addresses, and phone numbers for validity. It is not that difficult so you are wrong on that point. Also, Jason Joyce and the others on staff at tdp are intelligent people who have been at this game for awhile. They can spot a phony.

3. I provided my real name, my web site and other valid information to tdp. You have no way to verify your point that others are providing phony names. While it is possible that some people may be providing false names it is none of your business because tdp is a private enterprise and they can run their business as they see fit. It is my guess that most people provide their real names but of course I have no way of proving this. Why are you afraid of providing your real name. What's up with that. What are you hiding my friend?

You strike me as being rather young because your language and the way you handle yourself is immature. Also, you frequently state your arguments in absolute terms, very black and white with little shades of grey. That is an indication to me of a immature adult or a young person.

Would you mind telling us how old are you?

Please do not take this as an attack on you. After all you are on my friends list. But I must be honest with you many of your arguments are not very intelligent or well thought out. That's why I suspect that you may be a youngster.

Be that as it may I compliment you on your interest in current events and such even though we may disagree on many things. I hope that you don't get banned from here but I am afraid that if you keep on this track that you will soon be booted. That would be sad because we need a diversity of views here.

Your friend,
Harris Lemberg
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 am
Location: Spaight Street on the Isthmus of Madison

Re: Att: Alternativevoice

Postby AlternativeVoice » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 pm

harrissimo wrote:AV, my friend. I know that I will not convince you but you are incorrect on several points.

1. It is not relevant if other people are supplying phony names. What is relevant is that tdp is asking you to provide them with your real name and you used a phony name which is untruthful in other words a lie. It makes no difference if you are honest about using a phony name. It is still not truthful.

2. You can check to see if the names are real. Right now I am working a consulting job that involves the checking of names, addresses, and phone numbers for validity. It is not that difficult so you are wrong on that point. Also, Jason Joyce and the others on staff at tdp are intelligent people who have been at this game for awhile. They can spot a phony.

3. I provided my real name, my web site and other valid information to tdp. You have no way to verify your point that others are providing phony names. While it is possible that some people may be providing false names it is none of your business because tdp is a private enterprise and they can run their business as they see fit. It is my guess that most people provide their real names but of course I have no way of proving this. Why are you afraid of providing your real name. What's up with that. What are you hiding my friend?

You strike me as being rather young because your language and the way you handle yourself is immature. Also, you frequently state your arguments in absolute terms, very black and white with little shades of grey. That is an indication to me of a immature adult or a young person.

Would you mind telling us how old are you?

Please do not take this as an attack on you. After all you are on my friends list. But I must be honest with you many of your arguments are not very intelligent or well thought out. That's why I suspect that you may be a youngster.

Be that as it may I compliment you on your interest in current events and such even though we may disagree on many things. I hope that you don't get banned from here but I am afraid that if you keep on this track that you will soon be booted. That would be sad because we need a diversity of views here.

Your friend,
Harris Lemberg




I don't know how old you are, but I'd guess you're someone who is in his 20s. Most people stop those "You must be young because only somebody so young could be so immature" arguments around the age of 25. Once people hit 30 they stop feeling the need to brag about their age. Not to mention that your posting style is so immature that I'd be shocked if you're over 22. But I'll leave it at that.

And you ignored my point, which is that the rule itself is a lie. They ask you to "Tell the truth, please... pretty please!" but have no way to check, no matter how "smart" you think they are. I assure you that there are plenty of names I could pick that they would never figure out. But since I've called them out on their policy, I will now NEVER be allowed to become a member. Even if I DID give my real name, they'd assume it was a fake because of this debate. So I am in a place where I will NEVER be allowed to post on their articles.


But of course, the idea that the Isthmus has any principles or morals is a joke. I mean, let's be honest, it's a rag. Their reporter on political events is Bill Lueders?? That guy is the biggest fake in the business. All he does is go to Republican Party events and then completely make up quotes and stories to try to make it seem like every Republican Party event is a Klan rally. The guy is an absolute embarrassment, and yet they continue to publish his crap. No newspaper with that joker on the payroll can make any claim to principles with a straight face.


So they can play their game and pretend that I'm not being allowed to post because I'm giving a fake name. But it's a false argument. They have no way of knowing whether it's a fake name or a real name. And they might as well just be honest and admit that they just don't want me posting. They'd prefer to be allowed to continue publishing pro-terrorist anti-semitic propaganda without anybody calling them out for it.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar