MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gross error in "Put a Cork in it"

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Gross error in "Put a Cork in it"

Postby kulgar » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Sent an email to an editor and got no response so thought I'd flog them here. M. Peterman lost me immediately with the second paragraph lead, "In 2006, nearly 1,700 Wisconsin residents died...." in car crashes. Simply NOT TRUE, a simple Google shows the NHTSA says 305. That lead is off by a factor of nealry six! 88,000 DUI arrests would be close to 3% of all drivers which is also off by a factor of five or six.

I know they cut editors but doesn't anyone read this crap when some hack makes up numbers, or can't read a chart, or possibly doesn't even understand numbers because they're a writer and not numerically oriented? The third paragraph lead also states "..that year..." so it's not since 2006 or anything like that, the numbers are flat out INCORRECT. So the whole emphasis of the story, how horrendous this all is based on stats, is rubbish.

Drunk driving is a huge problem but at least report it accurately. I expect these kinds of errors from Mad Newspapers but not Isthmus.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Gross error in "Put a Cork in it"

Postby jjoyce » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:05 pm

A correction has been made to the story and noted:

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=24845
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:09 pm

Also, the article says 88,000 people were arrested for DUI. It should be 88,000 arrests, right?
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kulgar » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Missed the correction, my bad. No clue on the 88,000 arrests. The correction did not address that, there were over 400,000 total arrests in Wisconsin in 2006 which either means 8% of the population was arrested or some dudes were very active.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby saltman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:28 am

I don't know, or care too much about how these numbers are compiled but if someone is arrested on 4 open warrants, does that count as one arrest or four?
saltman
Forum Addict

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com