MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Thursday, March 5, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Is DPF activity down?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby Ed Breakfast » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:43 pm

harrissimo wrote:WHAT THE FUCK ED?!!! I mean I know you don't like me and all, put me on your ignore list and have said mean things to me and about me to hurt my feelings but this is beyond the pale Ed. You're saying I am a Kenyatta sock pocket. What the fuck! Fuck you Ed and the horse you rode into town on.

Jason will you do me a favor and inspect the IP addresses. You will see that I, Harris Lemberg of 1348 Spaight Street Madison Wisconsin 53703 post under one and only one username.

Not only are you a fucking asshole Ed "whoever the fuck you are too big of a coward to use your real name" Breakfast but you are stupid ignorant fucking asshole. Now go fuck off douchebag and leave me the fuck alone.

If you're not the sock puppeteer, I apologize. There are a few users here that never seem to be online at the same time and have similar writing styles and error patterns. You happen to be one of them. That could just be a coincidence, of course. If it is, I'm sorry I accused you.

Just to be clear, I was in no way "outing" you. (I'm not saying you accused me of that. I just want to be clear.) You have used your real identity here before and you link to your website. I use a pseudonym only to make it clear that the views expressed here are my own and have nothing to do with those of my employer. When I post here in a professional capacity I do so using my real name, and I've always had my actual contact information in my profile. It's not too hard to figure out who I am.

The invective was unnecessary, but it doesn't bother me. I've got thick skin.
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Ed Breakfast wrote:If you're not the sock puppeteer, I apologize. There are a few users here that never seem to be online at the same time and have similar writing styles and error patterns. You happen to be one of them. That could just be a coincidence, of course. If it is, I'm sorry I accused you.

Just to be clear, I was in no way "outing" you. (I'm not saying you accused me of that. I just want to be clear.) You have used your real identity here before and you link to your website. I use a pseudonym only to make it clear that the views expressed here are my own and have nothing to do with those of my employer. When I post here in a professional capacity I do so using my real name, and I've always had my actual contact information in my profile. It's not too hard to figure out who I am.

The invective was unnecessary, but it doesn't bother me. I've got thick skin.

I am not the sock puppet. Apology accepted. I have no idea who you are. Your profile says TV producers but that really doesn't tell me anything. I was always curious about what I did that made you dislike me. I don't remember directing any insults at you. I used the invective because I wanted to get your attention.

So who are you anyway?
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenyatta » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:03 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:

I love how in the peculiar alternate universe that is Madison, right-wingers are on par with white supremacists and anti-semites. You do realize that white supremacist groups tend to be Democrats, right? You do realize that anti-semitic groups are almost exclusively Democratic, right? You do realize that the Democratic Party is the Party of slavery, anti-women's rights, Jim Crow, segregation and the Ku Klux Klan, right? Heck, the Democratic Party still has a former Ku Klux Klan "Exalted Cyclops" serving as their "conscience of the Senate".

It is true that the Democrats were the party of slavery during the 1800s, and that southern white racists became Democrats (aka "Dixiecrats) because they were revolted by what Pres. Lincoln and the Republicans had done by freeing the slaves.

But you do know that Pres. Lincoln wasn't intending to free the slaves initially. That only became his goal after the Civil War had started.

And as far as KKK representatives go, lets not forget Trent Lott regretting that Strom Thurmond didn't win his racist campaign for President in 1948. Trent Lott should have been kicked out of the senate for that.

When I read stuff like this it's no wonder that so many Madisonians do property damage to Republicans. Not only tearing down yard signs, but keying car doors and knocking off side view mirrors of cars with Republican bumper stickers. When you equate a political party with white supremacists, well, I guess it makes sense (in a weird way) to do that to their stuff. But of course, by that same rationale, we all should be attacking the property of the far left wing, since they have allied themselves with right wing terrorist groups like Hamas and Hezbollah. So for the sake of the world, shouldn't we key their doors also?

If I remember correctly, it was cars in University Heights that were keyed. Hardly Republican territory.

Alderwoman Konkels' yardsigns were trashed a few years ago by the right-winger running against her.

And I never did mention the Republican Party above, I just said right-wing white supremacist anti-semites. It was you, Mr, Alternative Voice, who injected the Republican Party into the debate. This must be some sort of admission on your part that they are connected.
Kenyatta

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Kenyatta wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:

I love how in the peculiar alternate universe that is Madison, right-wingers are on par with white supremacists and anti-semites. You do realize that white supremacist groups tend to be Democrats, right? You do realize that anti-semitic groups are almost exclusively Democratic, right? You do realize that the Democratic Party is the Party of slavery, anti-women's rights, Jim Crow, segregation and the Ku Klux Klan, right? Heck, the Democratic Party still has a former Ku Klux Klan "Exalted Cyclops" serving as their "conscience of the Senate".

It is true that the Democrats were the party of slavery during the 1800s, and that southern white racists became Democrats (aka "Dixiecrats) because they were revolted by what Pres. Lincoln and the Republicans had done by freeing the slaves.

But you do know that Pres. Lincoln wasn't intending to free the slaves initially. That only became his goal after the Civil War had started.

And as far as KKK representatives go, lets not forget Trent Lott regretting that Strom Thurmond didn't win his racist campaign for President in 1948. Trent Lott should have been kicked out of the senate for that.

When I read stuff like this it's no wonder that so many Madisonians do property damage to Republicans. Not only tearing down yard signs, but keying car doors and knocking off side view mirrors of cars with Republican bumper stickers. When you equate a political party with white supremacists, well, I guess it makes sense (in a weird way) to do that to their stuff. But of course, by that same rationale, we all should be attacking the property of the far left wing, since they have allied themselves with right wing terrorist groups like Hamas and Hezbollah. So for the sake of the world, shouldn't we key their doors also?

If I remember correctly, it was cars in University Heights that were keyed. Hardly Republican territory.

Alderwoman Konkels' yardsigns were trashed a few years ago by the right-winger running against her.

And I never did mention the Republican Party above, I just said right-wing white supremacist anti-semites. It was you, Mr, Alternative Voice, who injected the Republican Party into the debate. This must be some sort of admission on your part that they are connected.

First of all, your need to learn some history, son. The Republican Party was FOUNDED by abolitionists. Their whole platform in 1856 and 1860 was anti-slavery, as they barely even had any positions on any other issues. To say that Lincoln wasn't anti-slavery is preposterous, and is misconstruing the fact that he was willing to give the survival of the nation a higher priority than the immediate abolition of slavery.

Now, yes, there were one or two segregation-supporting Republicans back in the day. But there's no question the vast majority of segregation-supporters and Jim Crow supporters were Democrats. And the Democratic Party is still the party of racism, supporting racist policies like Affirmative Action. They are also the party of racist demagogues like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

And of course, you ignored the anti-semitism issue because there's no question that the anti-semites are firmly on the left. Just look at how the Isthmus published that embarrassing pro-Hamas propaganda piece a few weeks back. Or that hilariously stupid protest at NYU this past week.

Now as for confusing terms... um, you were the one who put "right wingers" in the same sentence as anti-semites and white supremacists. I simply pointed out that it's the LEFT wing that is associated with white supremacists and anti-semites.

But more importantly, it was just a comment on how people think around here. Right wingers and centrists are SO crazy and extreme that nobody thinks twice about comparing them to white supremacists.

And by the way, if you aren't aware of the HUNDREDS of McCain signs destroyed, or the dozens of cars keyed and damaged with McCain bumper stickers, then you just haven't been paying attention. Even if I liked McCain, I still never would have put a McCain bumper sticker on my car, because it's not worth having my car damaged. I know that the local McCain folks actually always gave people twice as many signs as were asked for, and told them to hide the extra signs to put out once the first set of signs was destroyed by angry leftists.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:07 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:
bluethedog wrote:And what of Henry Vilas? ; what of Henry Vilas?

The Vilas Zoo chimpanzee got to him. I think we know now who the true enemy of H. Sapiens is.

Maybe he gave the DPF up for lent

or put everybody on ignore (or whatever it's called now).
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks folks. I was worried about activity being down, but now that I've read this entire thread I clearly see that the DPF is still crazy after all these years. I need a shower.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 pm

First of all, your need to learn some history, son. The Republican Party was FOUNDED by abolitionists. Their whole platform in 1856 and 1860 was anti-slavery, as they barely even had any positions on any other issues. To say that Lincoln wasn't anti-slavery is preposterous, and is misconstruing the fact that he was willing to give the survival of the nation a higher priority than the immediate abolition of slavery.

You do know that that republican Party that Lincoln was a member of became the Democratic party that is in power right now. To say Democrats were slave owners and Republicans were abolitionists is technically true but fast forward a hundred years and those roles are reversed. It's just intellectually dishonest for you to imply that the Republican Party of today had anything at all to do with Lincoln. But par for the course I guess with you "moderates".
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:38 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

You do know that that republican Party that Lincoln was a member of became the Democratic party that is in power right now. To say Democrats were slave owners and Republicans were abolitionists is technically true but fast forward a hundred years and those roles are reversed. It's just intellectually dishonest for you to imply that the Republican Party of today had anything at all to do with Lincoln. But par for the course I guess with you "moderates".

Hm, would you mind providing a source for the date at which the Republican Party changed names to the Democratic Party. Considering the fact that the Democratic Party was the party of segregation and Jim Crow while the Republican Party was the one forcing through civil rights legislation during the 1960s, you're going to have to come up with a pretty recent date for this change!
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:23 pm

This is why parties are bullshit.

I don't want my views today to be tainted by some pretty objectionable shit that happened several lifetimes before I was born.

So yes, I guess I'm a liberal democrat or whatever today, but that doesn't mean I want slaves.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:30 pm

Yes AV. I never should have doubted you. Democrats are racists. Republicans are not. You are right. never again will I doubt your all knowing intellect and logic. You are the greatest I am the worst. I'm just a far left wing lunatic and you are so fair and balanced and right about everything. You rule. I suck. You are attractive I am ugly. Arguing with you is a mistake I vow never to make again. I don't think I can handle any further embarrassment. Thank you so much for showing me the way. TDPF is certainly a much better place than before you came. You have enlightened all of us in the error of our ways and now we can strive to be more moderate and logical like you. Everyone here loves and respects you even if they don't say so.
Thank you thank you thank you.
Sincerely,
Your humble admirer,
Fisticuffs.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenyatta » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:37 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:First of all, your need to learn some history, son. The Republican Party was FOUNDED by abolitionists. Their whole platform in 1856 and 1860 was anti-slavery, as they barely even had any positions on any other issues. To say that Lincoln wasn't anti-slavery is preposterous,...

He didn't fight the Civil War to free the slaves initially, he only wanted to preserve the Union. Anyone who knows their history knows that he only came to adopt the slavery issue later. Read a book about it - Doris Kearns Goodwin has written about him.

The Republican Party only wanted to keep slavery from spreading into non-slavery states, they didn't want to abolish it. If the south hadn't attacked the north, it may not have become an issue.

On the other hand, his wife Mary was adamant that slaves should all be freed. She may have influenced his decision.

Lincoln wrote, "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that...I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."

Alternative Voice wrote: the Republican Party was the one forcing through civil rights legislation during the 1960s,

:lol: It was Kennedy and the Democrats who forced the south to integrate and sent in the federal troops to protect Martin Luther King and other civil rights activists.
Kenyatta

Postby AlternativeVoice » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:45 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Yes AV. I never should have doubted you. Democrats are racists. Republicans are not. You are right. never again will I doubt your all knowing intellect and logic. You are the greatest I am the worst. I'm just a far left wing lunatic and you are so fair and balanced and right about everything. You rule. I suck. You are attractive I am ugly. Arguing with you is a mistake I vow never to make again. I don't think I can handle any further embarrassment. Thank you so much for showing me the way. TDPF is certainly a much better place than before you came. You have enlightened all of us in the error of our ways and now we can strive to be more moderate and logical like you. Everyone here loves and respects you even if they don't say so.
Thank you thank you thank you.
Sincerely,
Your humble admirer,
Fisticuffs.

Uh, no, I did not say that. I was simply responding to somebody who equated Republicans with racists and anti-semites by pointing out that those objectionable groups of people TEND to be Democrats. That certainly does not mean that all or most Democrats are racist and anti-semites. I was just pointing out how it's hilarious how some minds work in this crazy far left wing enclave of Madison.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:57 pm

Kenyatta wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:First of all, your need to learn some history, son. The Republican Party was FOUNDED by abolitionists. Their whole platform in 1856 and 1860 was anti-slavery, as they barely even had any positions on any other issues. To say that Lincoln wasn't anti-slavery is preposterous,...

He didn't fight the Civil War to free the slaves initially, he only wanted to preserve the Union. Anyone who knows their history knows that he only came to adopt the slavery issue later. Read a book about it - Doris Kearns Goodwin has written about him.

The Republican Party only wanted to keep slavery from spreading into non-slavery states, they didn't want to abolish it. If the south hadn't attacked the north, it may not have become an issue.

On the other hand, his wife Mary was adamant that slaves should all be freed. She may have influenced his decision.

Lincoln wrote, "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that...I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."

Alternative Voice wrote: the Republican Party was the one forcing through civil rights legislation during the 1960s,

:lol: It was Kennedy and the Democrats who forced the south to integrate and sent in the federal troops to protect Martin Luther King and other civil rights activists.

Actually, you are somewhat misinformed here. First of all, the Republican Party was founded to abolish slavery. Heck, even most Democrats weren't trying to expand slavery. They were just trying to keep it from being banned. If all it took was a President who opposed the spread of slavery to start a Civil War, the war would have started long before 1861.

As for Lincoln not wanting to eliminate slavery, that is again false. He put saving the nation above eliminating slavery, and therefore was willing to keep slavery for the time being if it meant saving the nation. But that didn't mean that he didn't want to ban slavery throughout the nation, but simply that he was prioritizing.

And as for your final comment, while it's true that John Kennedy fought for integration, the rest of your statement is incorrect. Republicans were the ones behind the civil rights legislation, and the segregationalists in the south were almost exclusively Democrats. The vast majority of southern blacks were Republicans for that reason.

In fact, there is a very interesting Lyndon B Johnson quote that is widely misunderstood today. After signing the civil rights acts that guaranteed all southern blacks the right to vote (i.e. the end of Jim Crow laws), he was approached by Bill Moyers, who at the time was the White House Press Secretary, I believe. Anyway, Moyers was surprised to see Johnson looking somewhat sad, and asked why he wasn't so happy that blacks would now all have the right to vote. And Johnson said, and I quote: "Bill, I've just handed the South to the Republicans for fifty years, certainly for the rest of our life times."

Many people today misunderstand that quote because they view it from the lens of 2008, where blacks vote 90%+ for Democrats, and they view it as LBJ saying that racist whites would flee to the Republican Party. But in fact, southern whites voted heavily DEMOCRATIC in the 1960s, and it was the southern blacks that voted overwhelmingly Republican. LBJ figured that once all of these Republican blacks were allowed to vote that no southern white democrats would be able to win elections anymore.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Not to accidentally get this post back on topic but the real reason activity is down here and I don't post so much anymore is because of that shirtless dude loading on every other page.

I'm always scared at work thinking someones going to think I'm reading gay porn.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenyatta » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:35 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:

But in fact, southern whites voted heavily DEMOCRATIC in the 1960s, and it was the southern blacks that voted overwhelmingly Republican. LBJ figured that once all of these Republican blacks were allowed to vote that no southern white democrats would be able to win elections anymore.

Southern whites were "dixiecrats" - i.e. - racist Democrats who only joined the party because Lincoln was a Republican. They transferred to the Republican party because they couldn't stand it that the Democrats had abolished Jim Crow and forced integration on the south. Gov. George Wallace and Sen. Strom Thurmond are the most obvious examples that come to mind.

Southern blacks were mostly not allowed to vote. White racists forced a poll tax and forced blacks to take tests in order to vote, or they threatened them with death if they tried to vote. Friends of mine went down there to try and protect black voters in the 1960s.

Medgar Evers was shot in the back by a cowardly KKK member because he was trying to fight segregation laws and racist voting laws. It took 30 years to bring his killer to justice.

Ever's brother Charles was the first black elected as mayor of a town in Mississippi, in Fayette. He was a Democrat.
Kenyatta

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com