MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is DPF activity down?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Kenyatta wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:
Lincoln wrote, "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that...I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."


But in fact, southern whites voted heavily DEMOCRATIC in the 1960s, and it was the southern blacks that voted overwhelmingly Republican. LBJ figured that once all of these Republican blacks were allowed to vote that no southern white democrats would be able to win elections anymore.


Southern whites were "dixiecrats" - i.e. - racist Democrats who only joined the party because Lincoln was a Republican. They transferred to the Republican party because they couldn't stand it that the Democrats had abolished Jim Crow and forced integration on the south. Gov. George Wallace and Sen. Strom Thurmond are the most obvious examples that come to mind.

Southern blacks were mostly not allowed to vote. White racists forced a poll tax and forced blacks to take tests in order to vote, or they threatened them with death if they tried to vote. Friends of mine went down there to try and protect black voters in the 1960s.

Medgar Evers was shot in the back by a cowardly KKK member because he was trying to fight segregation laws and racist voting laws. It took 30 years to bring his killer to justice.

Ever's brother Charles was the first black elected as mayor of a town in Mississippi, in Fayette. He was a Democrat.




You do realize that George Wallace was a Democrat, right?

Again, this is the revisionist history taught in schools today. Teachers don't want to have to admit to students that the Jim Crow laws were passed and enforced by democrats. They don't want to have to admit that it was the REPUBLICANS who passed the civil rights acts and forced the southern schools to integrate. The KKK was practically a wing of the Democrat Party for decades.


Even your first paragraph is peculiar... racist white southerners were "dixiecrats" who joined the democratic party because lincoln was a republican? Huh? The Democratic Party controlled the south ever since it was invented in the 1790s. The Democratic Party fought for slavery long before the Republican Party ever existed. The Republican Party was a northern party created to provide a counterbalance to the southern Democratic Party as the Whigs were dying off. And you do realize that "Dixiecrat" is a combination of "Dixie" and "Democrat", right?? By their very NAME they were Democrats.


Again, it's a shame that the left wing teachers unions have completely mis-educated our children. And what's so blatant is that kids can still ask their grandparents about the truth because they lived through them. They can ask why Martin Luther King Jr was a Republican. They can ask why southern african-americans voted overwhelmingly Republican up through the 1970s.


You have a right to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby Shipley » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:01 pm

this argument over which party is more racist demeans them both.

history is nothing. look to the future. instead of figuring out who hated more then lets try to figure out who can love more now.

I'm pushing 30 and am going out tonight to play a video game for cash, which I will then spend on whatever new toys showed up at Target. do not make me the voice of reason here.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am
Location: college park, md

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:24 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote: They can ask why Martin Luther King Jr was a Republican.


Image

You are delusional. What color is the sky in your world?


You have a right to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.


:lol: Haha...you're not only delusional, you're ironic.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:01 am

white_rabbit wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote: They can ask why Martin Luther King Jr was a Republican.


Image

You are delusional. What color is the sky in your world?


You have a right to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.


:lol: Haha...you're not only delusional, you're ironic.



Wow, he's hanging out with a Democrat! It's really sad how delusional young kids are today, and the way they've been brainwashed by their schools.

Again, nearly all of the segregation-supporting southern politicians were Democrats. The Dixiecrats were exclusively Democrats... or they would have been called Dixiepublicans. Yes, northern Democrats supported civil rights (even though John Kennedy was much more hesitant about the civil rights laws than modern history teachers would like to admit), but it was the vast majority of Republicans who pushed them through.

The Democratic Party was the party of the Klan, the party of Jim Crow, the party of slavery and the party of segregation. Why would ANY african-american be a Democrat in the 1950s and 60s?


The mistake that people have is that they think that african-americans are now overwhelmingly Democratic because of something racist that Republicans did. Again, this is historical revisionism. It actually goes back to the urban strategy of the Democratic Party in the late 1960s and 1970s, when they realized that they could dominate the cities by controlling the black community and paying them off with government handouts. It was the massive explosion of welfare out of LBJ's "Great Society" that drove the african-americans into the Democratic Party.

But that's not a good enough story to teach our kids in history class. It might actually make the Democrats look bad. And so that's why we have kids nowadays like white_rabbit who are utterly ignorant and delusional about even the recent history of this nation.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby Kenyatta » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:20 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:It actually goes back to the urban strategy of the Democratic Party in the late 1960s and 1970s, when they realized that they could dominate the cities by controlling the black community and paying them off with government handouts. It was the massive explosion of welfare out of LBJ's "Great Society" that drove the african-americans into the Democratic Party.


Oh my, a member of Stormfront shows his true self. You say all blacks are on welfare? Riiiiight. :roll:

This country was built by black slaves. We owe their descendants a huge debt. If it weren't for their free labor, we'd all be speaking English and flying the Union Jack. Of course England abolished slavery well before we did. And they didn't go to war to do it. Cheerio! :lol:
Kenyatta
Senior Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby sydgrl » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:39 pm

While AV got some information correct, blacks did NOT vote overwhelmingly Republican through the 70s. Through the 30s would be a bit more accurate. Northern blacks began turning to the Democratic party during FDR's era. In terms of presidential elections, Eisenhower got roughly 40% of the black vote in 1956. As I recall, that was the last time a Republican presidential candidate would get that large a percentage of the black vote.

There is no record that MLK Jr. was a registered Republican, although apparently his father was until 1960. Given his opposition to Goldwater and the war in Vietnam, it's not too much of stretch to say that during the 60s he was more aligned philosophically with the Democrats. But, essentially he was non-partisan. All of this reminds of that ad a couple of years ago about MLK Jr. being a Republican. I found it amusing given that during his lifetime Republicans attacked MLK Jr. for being a commie.
sydgrl
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:22 am

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:24 pm

Kenyatta wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:It actually goes back to the urban strategy of the Democratic Party in the late 1960s and 1970s, when they realized that they could dominate the cities by controlling the black community and paying them off with government handouts. It was the massive explosion of welfare out of LBJ's "Great Society" that drove the african-americans into the Democratic Party.


Oh my, a member of Stormfront shows his true self. You say all blacks are on welfare? Riiiiight. :roll:

This country was built by black slaves. We owe their descendants a huge debt. If it weren't for their free labor, we'd all be speaking English and flying the Union Jack. Of course England abolished slavery well before we did. And they didn't go to war to do it. Cheerio! :lol:



Um, way to let your racism out there. Who said anything about all blacks being on welfare other than you?? I'll be sure to wash my hands after responding to this post because racists like you disgust me.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:27 pm

sydgrl wrote:While AV got some information correct, blacks did NOT vote overwhelmingly Republican through the 70s. Through the 30s would be a bit more accurate. Northern blacks began turning to the Democratic party during FDR's era. In terms of presidential elections, Eisenhower got roughly 40% of the black vote in 1956. As I recall, that was the last time a Republican presidential candidate would get that large a percentage of the black vote.

There is no record that MLK Jr. was a registered Republican, although apparently his father was until 1960. Given his opposition to Goldwater and the war in Vietnam, it's not too much of stretch to say that during the 60s he was more aligned philosophically with the Democrats. But, essentially he was non-partisan. All of this reminds of that ad a couple of years ago about MLK Jr. being a Republican. I found it amusing given that during his lifetime Republicans attacked MLK Jr. for being a commie.



No, I said until the 1970s. In the 1970s you are correct that blacks voted in big majorities for Democrats nationwide (although it still took until the 1980s before southern blacks switched... it takes a while for african-americans to forget which political party freed them from slavery and segregation). The urban strategies of the Democrats go back to the 1960s.


I still do find it hilarious that the Democratic Party's "conscience of the Senate" is a former Klan leader who spent hours at the Senate podium reading from books to fillibuster the civil rights amendments.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:32 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote: It was the massive explosion of welfare out of LBJ's "Great Society" that drove the african-americans into the Democratic Party.



What do you mean by this comment?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:33 pm

This is probably also the time to point out that it was the Democratic Party that fought against women's suffrage and women's rights for decades. All of the leaders of the women's suffrage movement were Republicans, and Republicans passed laws allowing women to vote in the north many years before they passed the Amendment to give suffrage nationwide.

One of my favorite stories has to do with the famous 1964 Civil Rights Act, the most famous civil rights act. The southern Democrats were desperate to stop it, but they knew that with nearly all of the Republicans on board as well as a solid majority of northern Democrats, it was going to pass even though Democrats had a majority in Congress. But they knew that Democrats nationwide were anti-women's rights, since the labor unions opposed women's rights and the Democratic Party was owned by the labor unions then just as it is now. So the famous part of the civil rights act that we see in workplaces around the country about not allowing employers to discriminate against people based on ethnicity, gender, national origin, etc... it did not originally have anything about gender. The Civil Rights act was just about african american civil rights. But the southern Democrats snuck in the part about gender, because they were hoping that the sexism of the northern Democrats would cause them to vote against the bill, even though they did oppose Jim Crow. it failed, and northern Democrats risked pissing off the unions and still voted for the civil rights acts.


There is not a chance in hell, of course, that anybody in any school nowadays will ever learn that story. The teachers unions would never allow kids to learn the truth about the sexist, racist history of the Democratic Party.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:37 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote: It was the massive explosion of welfare out of LBJ's "Great Society" that drove the african-americans into the Democratic Party.



What do you mean by this comment?



The Great Society was about massive welfare programs. These were geared towards urban minorities. Once you get people living off of the government, they're always going to keep voting for you because they don't want to lose what they already have.

This is what happened to the conservatives in England, with health care. The labour party brought about universal health care, and even though it's been a total disaster they have people dependent on it. The conservatives can't run against universal health care because so many voters will be afraid that the conservatives will take away something that is "free".

This is why the elimination of Bill Clinton's wonderful welfare reforms in the 1990s, which has been done secretly by the Porkulus bill, is a racist disaster. It will sentence millions of minorities to welfare because of local and state governments that will now have an incentive to keep them on welfare and out of the work force.


The Democratic Party was more overt in their racism back in the 1960s, when they supported Jim Crow and fought against the Civil Rights Acts. Now their racism is more devious, because they make african-americans actually want the laws that are harming them most. This is why education is so important.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:45 pm

HA-HA, you're delusional and suck!
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby Bad Gradger » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 pm

AV, how was your vacation in the parallel universe? Did you bring back any purestrain gold?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby harrissimo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:55 pm

white_rabbit wrote:HA-HA, you're delusional and suck!


God Damn it white_rabbit and Bad Gradger .

KNOCK IT OFF

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS. IGNORE! PLEASE!
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 am
Location: Spaight Street on the Isthmus of Madison

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:AV, how was your vacation in the parallel universe? Did you bring back any purestrain gold?



The delusional alternate universe where the far left wing fights for civil rights and for individual liberties and freedoms? It was wonderful!

Even in this universe and on this planet, the left wing has a wonderful history. Look at the great liberal thinkers from Descartes to Adam Smith to John Stuart Mill. Wonderful thinkers who paved the way for what our nation has become.


It's a shame that racist big government types have stolen the far left wing and given us Al Sharpton, Michael Moore and dailykos. How the mighty have fallen...


The left wing was at the forefront of the movement for individual liberty and freedom for hundreds of years. They were replaced, in this nation at least, by the Republican Party in the 1850s.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

cron
Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar