MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:17 am

I think it comes down to whether or not you actually add to the community. It's true that if AV posted a "21 gun" salute, he'd probably be banned for it, but that's also considering that he adds nothing to the community, so the offensive post is just that much more offensive. I'm not sure anyone will ever top Chuck Schick for offensiveness, yet he was a valuable addition to TDPF, so his offensiveness was tolerated (and perhaps even encouraged).

I don't understand why people think The Isthmus is required to be the great protector of free speech. It's a private website with a quasi-public forum. It's a business which sells advertising and has a financial interest in making the forum a pleasant place to visit and post. If someone makes the forum less enjoyable, The Isthmus will potentially lose advertising dollars, so they moderate and remove people who damage their business. I don't have any problem with that.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:32 am

Agreed. He wasn't banned because he was offensive or because of his politics. He added nothing to the forum, and probably caused many to read it less (this was true for me personally). He may have been a sock puppet, but his presence was hurting the forum, and probably threatening Isthmus' bottom line to an extent. I think jjoyce made the right decision, both for us as forons, and for his employer.

That dude was an illogical, non-fact spewing clown who bogged down every thread he was on. And if you "just heard about him" recently because of the ban, you probably aren't really a big part of the TDPF community.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 am

OK, OK, I removed my 21 gun salute to AV. I'll try not to be such an ass...but it's hard, it seems to come so naturally.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 am

white_rabbit wrote:OK, OK, I removed my 21 gun salute to AV. I'll try not to be such an ass...but it's hard, it seems to come so naturally.

I'm glad I saw it before you deleted it. I'd never before seen that great pic of the kid at the hockey game. And Cash closing it out was sweet. That might be the most iconic bird ever captured on film.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5577
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:57 am

pjbogart wrote: I don't understand why people think The Isthmus is required to be the great protector of free speech. It's a private website with a quasi-public forum. It's a business which sells advertising and has a financial interest in making the forum a pleasant place to visit and post.


This is a straw man argument. Nobody advocated a free-for-all here.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6417
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 am

boston_jeff wrote: That dude was an illogical, non-fact spewing clown who bogged down every thread he was on. And if you "just heard about him" recently because of the ban, you probably aren't really a big part of the TDPF community.


Why no tolerance for illogical, non-fact spewing clowns?

Seems to me the definition of "troll" is a very broad net now.

The only tolerance I see is tolerance for attacks against the infidel.

I didn't notice AV because he probably never interested me.
Last edited by Huckleby on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6417
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:05 am

I find that whenever there is a straw man, there is also often a red herring.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:08 am

often a chicken and an egg to be found as well
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6417
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:18 am

Huckleby wrote:AV was banned because of the craven action of a moderator who tolerated and even encouraged a little mob. Am I mistaken, or did the "moderator" reprint a private email he/she recieved to fan the flames?

This is a victory for intolerance, a play right out of the halls of Junior High School.


Oh, bullshit.

jjoyce bent over backword to tolerate this shrill, babbling fuckwit - long beyond what made any kind of sense. He (I assume it was a he) was indistinguishable from a spambot, and at least the spambot would have provided links to cheap Viagra.

To steal a quote from G.W. Bush, tolerance isn't a suicide pact for reasonable conversation. This tool wasn't bringing any, and annoying those of us who were.

I think it's wonderful that you've got such a capacity to ignore high signal to noise ratio bullshit, but you've no more right to enshrine this as some kind of a priori forum good than I do to push back against what I - and many, many others - perceived as being akin to the smelly, raving freak on the bus.

When there's a smelly, raving freak on the bus it's not generally perceived as 'intolerant' to ask the bus driver to have him removed. Maybe it should be, but that's a lot bigger social issue than just some moron on an on-line forum.

Plus he was the most thin-skinned pussy imaginable, and began whimpering like a beaten puppy the minute anyone pointed out what a insufferable shithead he was.

So fuck him. I'm glad he's gone, and I'm not going to waste a second of grief over his long- overdue departure.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6979
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:43 am

What he said.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Marvell wrote: He (I assume it was a he) was indistinguishable from a spambot, and at least the spambot would have provided links to cheap Viagra.


Spamming discussions to ruin them is certainly a good reason to ban somebody. I never saw AV do anything like this (I don't count his responding to the angry mob as spam.) If this is accurate, perhaps the admin should have banned him earlier without fanfare.

Marvell wrote: I think it's wonderful that you've got such a capacity to ignore high signal to noise ratio bullshit, but you've no more right to enshrine this as some kind of a priori forum good than I do to push back against what I - and many, many others - perceived as being akin to the smelly, raving freak on the bus.


enshrine? :lol: You have a very high opinion of my powers of persuasion!
I think you can rest easy, especially since the admin's idea of "moderating" is to tolerate and even encourage attacks against an objectionable poster.

Marvell wrote:So fuck him. I'm glad he's gone, and I'm not going to waste a second of grief over his long- overdue departure.


I've completed my own 24-hour mourning period.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6417
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Name One Thing I Ever Did Wrong

Postby blunt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:28 pm

This thread?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar