MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

OK HOWZABOUT THIS: Add a COMEDY section

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: OK HOWZABOUT THIS: Add a COMEDY section

Postby talagaster » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:19 pm

[quote="jjoyce"]The Dan Potacke thing was actually kind of amusing and I'm only sorry that he actually got a blurb because I would have liked to see how far he was willing to go with the thing. /quote]

Hmm, guess I don't have BBCode access, or I'm terrible with forum code...

But look how happy it made Dan Potacke when his show did get mentioned in the Isthmus. See, local comedy can be nice when you are nice to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tZLzPvXL38
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby peripat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Isthmus & staff have just been around long enough to become curmudgeons....if you're expecting anything else you're in the wrong place
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:42 pm

No they are acting like bitches and not in the good kind of way.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:13 am

Madsci wrote:No they are acting like bitches and not in the good kind of way.

What is the good kind of way to act like 'bitches'?
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:45 am

Why is it unacceptable to have a view on local comedy, even if someone finds it to be curmudgeon-like?

I mean, this town is full of narrow-minded curmudgeons, from those driving Volvos to those on fixed-gear bikes. Nobody here respects what anyone else likes. Is it being a curmudgeon to point that out? If you don't believe me, try starting a thread on this board about a band you like sometime.

My point stands: Nothing any self-professed local comic has written on this board has been funny. Angry, yes. Snarky, maybe. Funny, no. I'm told writing funny is harder than talking funny and that might be true. But one would think that anyone hoping to be funny for money might be at least mildly amusing in print.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:55 am

Maybe some comedians don't know how to write. There are musicians who don't know how to read or write music - John Lennon didn't.

Will Durst is funny in person and in writing. But he's from Milwaukee.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Flowers » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:18 am

Asking someone who performs spoken word to entertain you with the written word is a bit like asking, to quote the late Mitch Hedberg, "Hey, you are a great chef. Do you farm?"

You have a second strike against you, which is that you cannot really expect the monkey to dance for you if your idea of an ideal comedic enviroment is you, crossing your arms, and saying, "I know that you are not going to make me laugh, now make me laugh, funnyman."

If you were at all interested in local comedy, you could come to the Wednesday night open mic at the Comedy Club on State, which, despite it being the middle of Summer, typically the slowest season for standup comedy, has been a packed house for the last three to four weeks in a row. If you came to that, perhaps you would have had an opportunity to put a few names behind your assertions. If you don't want to leave your house, you can also cruise on down to Comedy Central's Open Mic page, where a certain local comedian that I will not name placed in the top ten and was selected as a featured video last month.

If you can't figure out which video it is, that's only because you don't know what the back wall of the Comedy Club looks like, in which case, you've never been, and should probably come to check it out before you continue to shatter your keyboard with angry and uninformed tirades.

Lastly, I find the main thrust of your argument, "Everyone else is an asshole, why can't I get away with being an asshole too?" to be sorely lacking. If you weren't being purposefully obtuse, going so far as to almost shield the good people of Madison from that entertainment which does not tickle your personal fancy, that would be one thing. But you are.
Flowers

Postby wallrock » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:23 am

Jazznews wrote:Will Durst is funny in person and in writing. But he's from Milwaukee.

Molly Ivins was funny in person and in writing. Durst, not my kind of funny - maybe because he's from Milwaukee.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:40 am

jjoyce wrote:My point stands: Nothing any self-professed local comic has written on this board has been funny. Angry, yes. Snarky, maybe. Funny, no. I'm told writing funny is harder than talking funny and that might be true. But one would think that anyone hoping to be funny for money might be at least mildly amusing in print.

I will admit that some local comedians' responses can appear a bit... reactionary but I see the same from band members. They just have more articles and forum threads to spread the negativity around. No matter their passion, artists put a lot into their work and they take it personally when someone slams what they do. The interview with Rhett Miller in the Decider talks about how internet criticism still hurts him and he is much bigger than anyone on this thread. So yeah, the first instinct is to be snarky/angry.

Plus, you are judging comedians based on what they are writing about comedy, the least amusing topic one can write about (with the possible exception of ketchup). Maybe it's because comedians are too close to the subject and a bit of detachment is needed for humor. Even long-time veterans can't make the topic of comedy funny: Don Rickles's book is hilarious but that is because it's about stories that happened while he was doing comedy, not about writing the comedy itself. There are some comedians who are great writers in Madison: Aaron Quinn has a great comedy blog at http://www.quinntastic.com/ and Flowers has had several funny posts on here but none of them have been about comedy.

It's fine to have an opinion but I wonder if you have ever seen any of the comics perform who are currently around Madison. I hate fixed-gear bikes but I can say I've at least ridden one of them to know that they are a terrible ride along with a dumb fad. Your position is more along the lines of saying that all Madison music is terrible because I saw the Profit$ back in 2005 and didn't like them. Most of the current comics weren't even doing comedy during the WiSUC era. Come to Wednesday Open Mic and then say how the scene is terrible, I still won't agree with you but I'll understand how you reached your opinion. Saying that local comedy is bad without seeing an even vaguely recent show is a bit curmudgeonly. If you can't make it out to a show, I can send you a couple YouTube links and maybe we can generate a chuckle or at least a cheek twinge.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:45 am

I've got a ketchup bit that kills.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:03 pm

talagaster wrote:
Madsci wrote:No they are acting like bitches and not in the good kind of way.

What is the good kind of way to act like 'bitches'?

See town vibe thread
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:36 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
jjoyce wrote: I mean, the original post was trying to convince me that we NEED a local comedy thread on this board (to compete with the Onion evidently, or something).

For someone who works in journalism your reading comprehension sucks. The intent of the this thread was not to be an Onion style thread to make you chuckle, but a subsection to promote local comedy.

blunt wrote:Here's what I want now:
Can we get a COMEDY division?
Not a place to be funny in. We are hilarious wherever we are.
A place that's specific to comedy and comedy shows.
ARTS isn't enough and even though comedy can be found at the music venues listings, MUSIC overshadows any COMEDY news.

I have rarely been critical of Isthmus, but both this constant belittling attitude and defensive and condescending posturing of Isthmus employees on both TDPF and the print edition lately is quite nauseating. It's sad watching a beloved institution like Isthmus and TDPF go down the tubes (in quality and customer focused attitude). What's even more insulting is the overwhelming attitude that the readers and forum participants are not the customers. We may not be the paying customers, but with out us the advertisers who are the paying customers will disappear right along with us. We readers and forons are the commodity that sells your ad space, if you can't recognize that you are doomed. Quite frankly, your collective attitude lately sucks and you need to find a renewed interest in customer service to both the paying and non-paying customers. Stop the defensive posturing and get back to the basics of creative and quality journalism, be open to suggestions and acknowledge and appreciate your readers. Remember, the readers and forons may not pay the bills, but we pay the bills of those who pay your bills.

I think I have a boycrush on whiterabbit.
And I'm wondering that perhaps it might be time to ban jjoyce?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:If you don't believe me, try starting a thread on this board about a band you like sometime.

Or even an act that you think has an interesting trajectory.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:53 pm

Exactly like this one, cr!
But this time jjoyce is the unfortunate perp.
Even after that surgically precise demonstration by whiterabbit, jjoyce still hasn't understood the point of a comedy section!
Summary:
jjoyce thinks this was about a "being funny" section.
So he won't add a C section.
Then jjoyce announces his distaste for local comedians.
So he won't add a C section.
I think
Does jjoyce love all local bands?
Food?
Government?
Probably not.
But they have their own sections.
I just it would be easier to have a comedy section rather than being forced to wade through Arts or stumble over a comedy show inexplicably but understandably posted in the Music section.
It would simply be locally nice and newspapery of jjoyce to allow a forumly formal separate heading for the up-and-coming burgeoning hydra-headed local comedic beast that is slowly lumbering to its feet in Madison.
That's all.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:43 pm

By "competing with the Onion," I think jjoyce means competing with AV Club's comedy listings. Not "being funny."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com