MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Annual Manual question

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Annual Manual question

Postby Bad Gradger » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:55 pm

In "The Lay of the Land," why is Madison described as running only from Glenway Street to Starkweather Creek?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Annual Manual question

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:50 am

I believe that's what's considered downtown Madison or the isthmus.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:00 am

That, and it just rolls off the tongue.

From Glenway street
to Starkweather Creek...

where dog doo gets sealed in plastic
but the lakeshores still reek
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:55 am

Under the favorites category, "Places to Bike," apparently the person compiling the manual thought "From the Sun to Pluto" was a silly or nonsensical answer. But s/he realized that the UW Space Place has installed signs from the Sun to Pluto along the SW and Military Ridge Trails, so it's not such a stupid answer.

The Sun is barely west of Monona Terrace. The inner planets come pretty quickly along Lake Monona, Monona Bay and the SW Path to Camp Randall. You get to Jupiter just west of Breese Terrace. Saturn is around Glenway Golf Course, and then Neptune isn't until almost Verona. I haven't been to Pluto this summer, which is somewhere around Mt Horeb.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:17 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Under the favorites category, "Places to Bike," apparently the person compiling the manual thought "From the Sun to Pluto" was a silly or nonsensical answer. But s/he realized that the UW Space Place has installed signs from the Sun to Pluto along the SW and Military Ridge Trails, so it's not such a stupid answer.

The Sun is barely west of Monona Terrace. The inner planets come pretty quickly along Lake Monona, Monona Bay and the SW Path to Camp Randall. You get to Jupiter just west of Breese Terrace. Saturn is around Glenway Golf Course, and then Neptune isn't until almost Verona. I haven't been to Pluto this summer, which is somewhere around Mt Horeb.

This is getting a bit off topic, but yeah, that solar system thing is pretty cool. Saturn is actually near Odana GC, not Glenway (kind of neat to think that I used to bike-commute all the way from Saturn back before I changed jobs....)

Here's a couple of links about the project (Planet Trek Dane County):

http://www.spaceplace.wisc.edu/planettrek.htm

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/454823
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:19 pm

jjoyce wrote:I believe that's what's considered downtown Madison or the isthmus.

So why would a piece purporting to be some kind of newbies' guide to the whole city be about only the middle?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:Saturn is actually near Odana GC, not Glenway (kind of neat to think that I used to bike-commute all the way from Saturn back before I changed jobs....)

Oops. Yeah, that's what I meant. I was picturing the location, but typed the wrong golf course. Sorry.

Can you tell I don't play golf?
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:
jjoyce wrote:I believe that's what's considered downtown Madison or the isthmus.

So why would a piece purporting to be some kind of newbies' guide to the whole city be about only the middle?

It is called the Isthmus Annual Manual.

Just sayin'.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com