MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Article commenters: Use your real names. Is this difficult?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Article commenters: Use your real names. Is this difficult?

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:26 pm

It's pretty clear on this site's comment registration page that comments from those not using their real names will not appear on stories. Wanna be anonymous? Meet TDP Forum.

I actually spend a decent amount of time putting those comments on hold and sending emails out to those who ignore that condition, allowing them to correct the issue and have their comments published. I did that just today, actually. I've now had forwarded to me by numerous coworkers the following:

Hey -- What keeps happening to the comments on this article? I and several other people have been trying to make comments -- politely, not flame posts or anything -- but every time we look back at the article they are gone. Please help get this fixed or it will look like you censoring what people are posting.

As should be obvious to anyone who has spent 30 seconds on this site, we eagerly and happily publish all sorts of comments here from those who agree and disagree with the diverse opinions expressed by our writers (all of whom identify themselves by their full names, I should point out). Crying censorship about comments on the internet when you have not followed the simple and clearly-stated guidelines is disappointing, particularly if you work in media yourself.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Article commenters: Use your real names. Is this difficult?

Postby john_titor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Hunt them down and get them fired.

11.16.2009 2:41 pm
Post a vulgar comment while you’re at work, lose your job
By Kurt Greenbaum
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/the-editors-desk/the-editors-desk/2009/11/post-a-vulgar-comment-while-youre-at-work-lose-your-job/all-comments/

Anonymity indeed.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:16 pm

jjoyce wrote:As should be obvious to anyone who has spent 30 seconds on this site, we eagerly and happily publish all sorts of comments here from those who agree and disagree with the diverse opinions expressed by our writers (all of whom identify themselves by their full names, I should point out). Crying censorship about comments on the internet when you have not followed the simple and clearly-stated guidelines is disappointing, particularly if you work in media yourself.

It is quite uncommon for a site to require commentors to use their real names when leaving comments. Don't be surprised when you don't get the desired behavior after making an unusual guideline, no matter how clearly you may have stated it.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:33 am

I don't use my real name on Internet sites, period.

The world is full of lunatics. I remember a mini-drama on TDPF just a few years ago where somebody went after someone else in person after an on-line dispute. (Wasn't this Patrick DePula and somebody else? I didn't try very hard to remember the details.) I live by myself, I am female, and I don't need weirdos threatening me in 3D. There's no real anonymity out here but we can still try.

You can have whatever regulations you want but some people have good reasons for not posting under their real names and your rule precludes their participation and shows a lack of understanding. I realize you're trying to raise the level of discussion, but is this method working or just making the discussion smaller?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:53 am

jjoyce wrote:It's pretty clear on this site's comment registration page that comments from those not using their real names will not appear on stories. Wanna be anonymous? Meet TDP Forum.

Hmmm...what was SW Madison Resident Here I am's parents smoking when they named their child?

http://www.thedailypage.com/blaska/arti ... icle=30261
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby admin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:09 am

Often comments are left that don't follow the rules. TDP doesn't invoke prior restraint and tries to check comments regularly throughout the day. Since our staff isn't on call 24/7, sometimes comments stay put until we clock in. That was the case here. The comment in question has been removed.
admin
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:21 am

I'm frustrated multiple times weekly by the inability to post comments, but there's no way in hell I'm posting my real name anywhere.

Maybe not using a real name isn't the real problem, jj.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:25 am

If you want to be anonymous and comment on these articles then start a thread about them in the forum. Is this that hard?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:37 am

Good point, fist. The comments appear right on the same page as the articles themselves which are written with editorial oversight, many of them involving hours of research and reporting. As can be seen on many other sites, anonymous comments can be a cesspool of ignorance and idiocy. No thanks.

TDP comments, on the other hand, are often well written and insightful, many adding to the stories themselves by clarifying and adding detail or personal testimony. Some don't achieve that, but at least those hoping to detract rather than add to the quality of the site can be identified.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:41 am

It's not hard at all; obviously I was wrong, as I was under the impression that it was impossible to even attempt to comment without using a real name. It seemed to me that someone that had the power to do so granted an exception in this case. My bad.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:04 am

There's no fingerprint ID process in registering your account for Daily-side commentary. You are on your honor to enter your real name; HAL will not automatically reject an account activation that doesn't use a real name.

But if you pick a really shitty nom de plume or just don't even try to read the instructions, Jason or someone else will catch it and remove it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:06 am

Jason,
Why don't you just use something like Facebook commenting?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:10 am

Thinking about it with the understanding that reliance on Facebook might be a dangerous move.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 am

jjoyce - I know that the "real name" thing isn't just limited to Isthmus.

But, why do these websites care? And how to they know that it's my real name?

As long as the comment respects decorum, it really shouldn't matter.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:45 pm

I'd rather have the admin make decisions about what's a real name and what isn't than have him/her make decisions about what is decorum and what isn't.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com