MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Best of TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Best of TDPF

Postby Meade » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 am

snoqueen wrote:Meade thought maybe I was talking about my other Karl friend, Karl Marx, who also ran a juice cart back in the day. Being part of the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie, the business was eventually liberated by the proletarians.

From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs. Meade, who is suffering from false consciousness, needs a group hug.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:04 pm

pjbogart wrote:Are you a different person than you were in 1982? I was ten years old and loved Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons. Ok, that was a bad example.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:04 am

kurt_w wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:...Tammy's extremist tenancies.

Ooh, I'd forgotten about that time when she rented an apartment from Pol Pot.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Posts like this are why Stu has always been in my top ten:

Stu Levitan wrote:Why would a "reliable government source" limit distribution of this bombshell to an pseudonymous poster in a minor chatroom? Seems like the kind of news that would make big headlines. And why would the Democratic County Clerk cover this up?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:40 pm

snoqueen wrote:Call me foolish, but I think Christie is being an old-school pragmatic politician looking out for his constituents, reaching across the aisle to the benefit of both parties, and keeping in mind he's the governor of a basically blue state.

Is he making extra appearances and being extra complimentary to the President?

Only by today's ridiculously polarized and hostile standards.

He's got to get his state back up on its feet, the President is helping (knowing the cost of not helping will be another Brownie/Bush debacle) and if Christie does well by his constituents, he's better positioned for a political future on the national stage. One part of helping his state recover is providing not only organizational leadership, but personal leadership. I think that's just what he's showing (and I've not until now been a fan of his).

Sometimes great performances turn up at odd times. I recall Mayor Giuliani in NYC turning in another one after 9/11, much to the surprise of many. It helped.

By that token, if Christie does his job to high standards he's positioned for a political future on the national stage. Can we say that without cynicism? Past performance is, ordinarily, a way to demonstrate fitness for higher office. Disasters count.

Because until someone shows me otherwise, I think that's the appropriate way to view Christie's last few days of public appearances. The nation is crying out for an end to hyper-polarized ultra-nasty politics, and he's providing an example we badly needed.

So is Obama in not refusing to participate in the public displays of cooperation across party lines.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:14 am

Huckleby wrote:Forget about NAZIs and violence and danger and jihad. Human beings of any ideology are prone to extremism if you put enough stress on them. In fact, I think ideology is completely irrelevant to extreme behavior, any ideology or religion will work if you want to kill the other guy badly enough.

On a more petty and personal level - whether people will let you live and let live - I find the libertarians to be a uniquely likeable group. I don't agree with their politics much because free markets fail in too many ways. But they lack the authoritarian streak that the left and right manifest in their own ways.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:What does that even mean?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' out Meade's ass.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:52 pm

kurt_w wrote:snazzy appears to be converging on WagsTrade.

My wife just asked me what I was snickering at. She's not a Foron, so I told her that by the time I managed a tortured explanation, it wouldn't seem all that funny to her.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Would Ron Paul Have Won?

rabble wrote:It depends. If he picked Godzilla for his running mate instead of Rumnuts, and he had superpowers, and Batman wasn't running, he might have picked up the vote of everyone who's an asshole and calls themselves KidCapitol.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:28 am

Mean Scenester wrote: Now that Fox media whore/GOP sugar daddy Karl Rove has suffered a double defeat, somebody ought to let the wind out him and toss him to the curb like a twice-used Durex on prom night.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 am

pjbogart wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:00 am
Well, I guess I don't have to worry about being disrespectful in the face of tragedy, given that Meade has cornered the market, but I can't help but feel that this entire story is some modern version of a Greek tragedy.

I sincerely doubt that Paul Heenan had an enemy in the world. From what I remember of him, he was about as easy-going as a kid could be. He always wore a smile, was tall and skinny with long, spindly arms and fingers that looked like god put him on this earth to play the guitar. He had a goofy "white man's fro" that made him look about 7 feet tall and he wore baggy pants before baggy pants were cool, probably because it was hard to find jeans with a 30 inch waist and a 36 inch inseam. I guess if you didn't know him, he might seem intimidating.

Walter was a police officer who loved the local music scene. He was well-respected by hipsters and senior citizens alike. No one spoke ill of Walter, in part because we all know deep down inside that being a cop isn't always a fun job. It's important that you always maintain control, largely because you have a gun on your hip and anywhere there's a gun, there's the threat of violence.

Paul Heenan's world tragically collided with Walter's. There was poor judgement, misunderstandings and ultimately tragedy. And while many of us recount fond memories of Paulie, Walter must live with those tortuous memories for the rest of his life.

In some ways, I think two men died that night. Paul Heenan died, he was the 20 year-old I knew who seemed offended when I suggested to him that Thom Yorke's greatest asset was his originality and his ear, because his vocal control seemed suspect at times. I remember having that conversation with him where I insisted that the greatest singers were people who were identifiable, but not necessarily perfect. REM was a great band, but it was Michael Stipe's unique voice that made them superstars. Much like Dylan, Bowie or Bono, when you heard that voice, you knew exactly who you were listening to. Paulie didn't like that much because he loved Radiohead and any suggestion that Thom Yorke was anything but perfect seemed offensive to him. That's the Paulie I remember.

But someone else died that night. The officer who felt comfortable checking out a local show and praising local musicians. He doesn't simply feel awkward, he feels like the enemy. Even when he's among friends who offer him forgiveness and understanding, he'll always feel those eyes, angry and full of mistrust. The old Walter is gone and the man who replaces him will never be quite the same.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 am

jjoyce wrote:But I believe that the instinct to respond is what drives traffic to the site. The difference between checking in once a day and five times a day is conflict.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
While content suffers, TDPF benefits from the jackass(es).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Meade wrote:There are no posts of mine where I am deficient of tact.

So he says.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:53 pm

I've stayed out of the threads about the Baldwin Street incident, but this struck me forcefully ... because in its serious, non-scatalogical language it is such a vast departure from the usual Uncle Leaver character:

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Maggie, I understand that you are expressing your feelings and I'm not saying they are wrong. I'm simply offering my own in hopes that it might temper some of the anger and fear.

I respect that you have been shaken and saddened by this event. Believe me, I have too. But it bears repeating that many here (though admittedly not I) knew both the officer and the deceased. Perhaps, the best the rest of us can do is try to empathize with what those folks must be feeling right now and try to acknowledge, at least until more information comes to light, that sometimes life's events play out in hideous fashion for no other reason than that circumstance can be a curse as often as a blessing.

I'm really not trying to argue with you and I respect your feelings despite that I may not agree with how you've chosen to express them. Far be it from me to suggest there is a right response to something like this. There is only the reaction born of a given perspective. I'm just trying to offer my own. If it's not helpful at all, I hope you'll at least acknowledge that it's no less heartfelt than yours.

A lot of people here have close ties to one, the other, or both of the human beings involved in the shooting. This naturally leads to powerful emotions and deeply personal expressions in comments here. Yet despite the efforts of one contemptible little twit to disrupt things and take advantage of people's genuine distress -- call him the Fred Phelps of the Daily Page Forum -- this awful, tragic incident is somehow forcing people to put aside the masks they usually wear here and interact via a heartfelt sincerity that's all too rare on the Forum.

None of this really matters compared to what happened on Baldwin Street, of course. But with that said, in a very small way it's reassuring to see how people here can talk, and argue bitterly but peacefully, and grieve, in ways that would be unrecognizable on a "normal" day here.

Oh, hell, this is probably a lot of late-night pompous crap, it's not even coming close to what I wanted to say, and I should probably just delete it the way I delete half my own posts right after hitting submit. But maybe for once I won't.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 pm

No you are right Kurt.

When I heard the full story I felt like someone socked me in the gut. It made it obvious how we argue about stupid things most of the time.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com