MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Best of TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Best of TDPF

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:13 am

pjbogart wrote: ... but I suspect you guys hate "The Smiths" too, so that's probably a meaningless distinction.

Hey man, I was a child of the eighties. I saw The Smiths at the Milwaukee Performing Arts Center in '86. It was okay. I was always ambivalent about Morrissey, even back then. It's like I knew there was something sad and creepy about a grown man speaking to my adolescent angst, like I knew someday I'd grow out of it but he likely wouldn't. And guess how that turned out? I never had any interest in him as a solo act and sold all my Smiths albums long ago, but one thing I'll cop to yet today: Johnny Marr is (or at least was) one motherfucker of a guitar player and when I was a kid I'd have given my eye teeth to be able to play like him. He was the draw as far as I was concerned.

But the next time a superstar band credits Chuck Schick or Dan Motor for inspiring them to make great music, you guys let me know. I'll have to assume you guys own no Radiohead, Oasis or Shins albums, because surely the awful stench of Morrissey's influence corrupted all of their music.

Wait ... I'm confused. Am I to aspire to be such a colossal cunt as Maggie Thatcher so I can be "immortalized" in song? What the fuck are you yammering about?

And no, I don't own any Radiohead, Oasis or Shins albums. I'm sure it betrays me as an old, crusty anachronism, but if you played me one of those bands I'd have a one in three chance of telling you which one it is.

Yawn. That song was perhaps the dullest of the set I saw. You've got Johnny Marr in your band and that's what you give him to do? Fuck, I can play that, fer chrissakes.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:26 am

pjbogart wrote: But the next time a superstar band credits Chuck Schick or Dan Motor for inspiring them to make great music, you guys let me know. I'll have to assume you guys own no Radiohead, Oasis or Shins albums, because surely the awful stench of Morrissey's influence corrupted all of their music.

I know two of the names there. I don't know Shins. I'll assume they suck?

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 am

Well they aren't like "Nickelback bad" or anything like that. I'd put them somewhere between Coldplay and The Decembersists as far as originality and annoyingness.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:10 am

fisticuffs wrote:

Well they aren't like "Nickelback bad" or anything like that. I'd put them somewhere between Coldplay and The Decembersists as far as originality and annoyingness.

Thanks Fisti,

That helps, I usually just refer to those types as "Boatshoes without socks" bands.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:30 am

Meh. I can't stand listening to Rush or AC/DC, but I don't complain that they suck. Not my cup of tea.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 am

Fair enough. But the difference is the fellas from Rush and AC/DC don't constantly make themselves publicly known as hateful dickbags.

This is spilling over into the "Personal beliefs of musicians" thread.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 am

Kyle Motor wrote:Fair enough. But the difference is the fellas from Rush and AC/DC don't constantly make themselves publicly known as hateful dickbags.

This is spilling over into the "Personal beliefs of musicians" thread.

Plus they don't wear boat shoes.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:13 am

Plus they don't wear boat shoes.

Stop saying boat shoes! Now I have to listen to this song 5 times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD9oLqVvNO8

2:40
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

nutria wrote:Holy shit, the first post in this thread is a paragon, a fucking masterpiece of banality. Absolutely breathtaking in its vacuity. It is discourse's equivalent of slapstick humor. I'll be completely honest, John Henry, I wish I had internet points to give you. When you wrote, with what I am guessing is complete earnestness, this:

johnfajardohenry wrote:5) Meanwhile Olympus does very well at the box office.

I came closer to actually, literally pissing myself laughing than I have in my entire life. This is because that sentence is, without a doubt, the single stupidest thing ever uttered in the English language. Or any other language, for that matter. No single combination of words/grunts/clicks/screams/squawks to ever pass the lips of any of the estimated 50 billion human beings in the earth's history approach the singular level of nonsense that you just achieved.

There are going to be scholars in 2213 studying the decline of American intellectualism of the early 21st century, and dozens of them will make entire careers out of the nine words above.

You know what, JH? You should be taking all of this as a compliment. I sit here in awe of what you've accomplished. I have the same feeling as the first time I heard Charles Mingus, or saw Citizen Kane. I have that feeling that, for just a moment, I saw a shooting star illuminating the night sky. It passes millions of miles above us, as we mere mortals stand here, earthbound. The wonder I feel is only matched by the sadness I have, knowing that I will probably never hear or read anything of this caliber again:

johnfajardohenry wrote:5) Meanwhile Olympus does very well at the box office.

It's Haley's comet. It's James Brown. It's Woodstock. It is a once-in-a-lifetime moment, and I can only sit here, amazed, elated, to have been even a tiny part of such an occurrence.

That's some DPF gold, right there.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 am

fisticuffs wrote:Giving an IQ test to gauge knowledge of guns is like giving a paternity test to check for cancer.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:45 am

Ah man, somehow I was late to the Smiths-bashing party. Phooey.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:11 am

Re: Isthmus Block Party now starting at 4 pm on 7/8
by Ducatista » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:36 am

Walter wrote:
One belligerent street drunk got run during the set.

Short for got run in? I like it.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:02 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:This conversation really went into abstraction quickly.

Huh, that's odd.
Correlation or causation?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:58 pm

gargantua wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Ned's disingenuous weaselry.

Great restaurant name there.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 am

grumpybear wrote:It's hard to understand their point of view because they don't have gifs.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com