MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Best of TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Best of TDPF

Postby bdog » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Walter wrote:I'm a cop who has worked and or lived in all the districts in the city and the recent outrage over crime by the neighborhood groups is interesting.

The reason people are upset is that they are finally seeing activity and/or learning of it through media.

In the Central District, "regular" taxpaying people (rather than alcohol guzzling college students the Enablers...errrrr Alders have been buttkissing) are moving in to the new developments and they are seeing and hearing about the ridiculous and criminal behavior associated with the alcohol problem which has existed for years. Now comes the desire to "clean up" downtown and make it safe and the city council is being pressured to do something.

In the West District, several "Challenged" neighborhoods (a tarted up term for used in exchange for "bad neighborhood") lay next to other neighborhoods (Good or Unchallenged?). When there is a homicide only a couple blocks away in a "bad" neighborhood, the newly elected alder who did not show any support for police in her election bid suddenly wants more of us and as soon as possible because people in the "good" neighborhood have her phone ringing off the hook.

West has violent persons crimes and the usual high level of property crimes for many years in the more isolated bad neighborhoods; it receives little or no attention when it becomes known outside those neighborhoods due to the NIMBY like effect created by the isolation. When these things happen a street or two away, suddenly it's IMBY and it needs to be dealt with NOW!

In the North District, it's a matter of people realizing the squeaky wheel get the grease. If they want more cops to help with the depressed corridor that is Northport Drive/Packers Avenue/Troy Drive area, then they need to speak up because the mayor and city council have made strong public safety pledges last election and can't back away from them now. There has been higher crime areas in the North District for many years which have not been addressed because there has been little political pressure on the city from them.

I imagine similar things will happen in regards to the East and South Districts to a lesser degree.

The East District has a less concentrated rental population with more single family/duplex housing stock which, to my observation, generate fewer calls and/or less serious calls than giant rundown apartment complexes (Wexford Ridge, Northport Apts, Morraine View, Country Meadows) or concentrated duplex/fourplex/eightplex apartments (Allied Drive, Theresa Terrace/Bettys Lane, Badger Road, Fisher/Baird, areas just south of select parts of Raymond Road).

The South District currently just doesn't have organized neighborhood groups to mount political pressure or pressure sensitive alders in the areas most affected by crime (Badger Road, Cypress Road/Magnolia, Fisher/Baird, Coho, FHR).

I don't know if crime is really up or down but I do know awareness of it is.

I know the sheer number of calls for service to MPD is up over the last several years.

I know that almost daily there are patrol beats which have to be filled using holdovers, order-ins, and overtime due to staffing shortages.

For those of you who are fast asleep at 4AM, frequently these beats go unfilled then as the holdovers and order-ins go off duty after 4 hours of OT and there is no call ins/order-ins to day shift to cover the second half of the eight hour night shift. Usually 1 or 2 beats are empty when this happens but at times it can be as many as 4 or 5.

The staffing minimum for the entire city at 4AM is supposed to be 28 officers, not 27, 26, 24, or 23.

Finally, Brenda Konkel wants to know why the Police Department doesn't jump when she snaps her fingers and bend over backwards to please her. It could have something to do with her taking every cheapshot she can at us and playing the victim when she gets called on it. At least she's been fairly quiet since her playmate Austin King moved away.

Here's my personal view, not endorsed nor reflective of that of the City of Madison or the Police Department:

Brenda, you can lick my hairy armpit.

Love,

Walter
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:05 am

Date of original post?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:34 am

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:12 pm
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Walter wrote:A Place For Friends on Sherman Ave got shut down after neighbor complaints and the camel backbreaking straw was the guy who got beaten and pistol-whipped inside. They didn't call and we found out when the victim showed up at the hospital bleeding all over from a massive head laceration. When we went to the bar to investigate, if I recall correctly, staff locked the doors and refused to open them for quite some time and then when they did, we found blood all over the upstairs even after a crappy clean up job and got "nothing happened here" answers. ORLY?

The recent homicide on Fordem had nothing to do with a bar. It was a robbery set up that happened in the farthest back parking lot behind an apartment building. The lure: "We came over to meet some bitches" is what one of the guys told me.

The other Fordem shooting was in a parking lot at Webcrafters when one of their employees, the target, was on a break and it was gang related.

There have been no more calls about Wiggies since they've been closing in the evening.

I do find it amusing how allegations are made the police are targeting bars that are black owned or patronized. We are responding to repeated calls to them involving weapons, sometimes gunfire, and large scale fights. They are not a couple of guys squaring off type fights; they are fights involving 20, 30, 50, or even 100 plus if anyone recalls the Majestic at it's low point. The worst I went to at the Majestic was 200 people fighting inside with bar stools, bottles, and knives. I would like to point out at bar time our staffing is 28 officers for the entire city.

The nature of the calls is behavior, not skin color. The revocation of licenses is because the calls do not stop. A liquor license is not a right, it is a privilege granted by the City that can be taken away with cause. The ALRC holds public proceedings before licenses are taken or conditions put on them. These are not actions taken in secret.

Weekend recap:

Targeted victim shooting at R Place with an AK-47 caliber rifle (7.62mm x 39mm cartridge) on Thursday night into Friday morning.

Targeted victim shooting at New Towne Pub on Gammon with 40 to 50 casings found in 5 different calibers (7.62 x 39, 9mm, .45, .22, and .38) on Friday night into Saturday morning. New Towne Pub has been generating large fight calls in the last year as well.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Huckleby on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 11:15 am wrote:
Sandi wrote: Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem. The difference as I noted is that the Swiss subsidize the poor, where as we don't.

OK, perhaps you used a big word that confounded me.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:15 am

Rich Schultz wrote:On the other hand, the State's Attorney and the Evidence Dummy have been invited to appear on "Dancing With The Stars".

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Donald, this is so true... :(

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?
by Donald » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Krugman locates the problem in the soul. I locate it in dementia, the kind that comes on in the elderly as they lose brain function due to one of several potential causes, and in the evil and demented people who manipulate the elderly for their own sick purposes. As dementia takes hold the person loses their soul.

I was struck by the elderly nature of the GOP during the 2012 Republican National Convention. The people gathered there seem strangely very elderly, and many are likely afflicted with the first stages of Alzheimer's or other dementias.

If you've experienced a loved one's mental decline in old age, you notice a loss of short-term memory and personality changes. What else can explain the Republican's constant change of position and inattention to detail? They no longer have the ability to remember things or they confabulate.

More worrisome, though are personality changes. A once loving and optimistic person becomes spiteful and fearful. In my mother's case, it resulted in her being increasingly fearful and anxious about people. In the political arena, this resolved into her being very manipulable by people who were pushing hateful anti-immigration ideas in order to pry money out of her.

The Republican Party used to be a forward looking party. Now they resemble a Memory Unit in an Assisted Living facility---everyone is wandering around in the haze of messed up synapses creating bitter and paranoid confabulation. Death would be a blessing.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:30 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
wack wack wrote:you're certainly not as dumb as you're trying to appear right now.

Link please
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Helen Thomas Dies
by fennel » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:49 pm
Remember_Me wrote:Thomas covered 10 presidents over nearly half a century, and became a legend in the industry.

I have a stunning hunch Helen didn't think of herself as working in an industry.

But that's CNN for you: fessing up proud.

I had a fascinating discussion with a former suit of Gannett a couple of weeks ago. Fennel, your disgust is consistent with that I perceived from said 'suit'.
The 'new' information system is as reliant on OUR wetware as ever.
Scary yes, but I believe we are capable to (and must) rise above it.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:39 pm

I really liked this post.
Thank you Sno.
And thank you too - the wild turkeys of WI, that have robustly re-populated this state since I was legally allowed to hunt them back in 93 (? I think).
Such fun!
Whether you are hunting them or not.

Re: Wild turkeys
by snoqueen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:24 pm

I used to work with a bunch of lifelong hunters. They said wild turkeys were the hardest game to get because they're so darn smart and wary. Also, their feathers are almost as tight as armor, giving bowhunters a lot of trouble (and of course, the fun of a challenge).

Anyway, one of these guys liked using a turkey call to make a gobbling sound and bring the birds closer. The call was a little thing you hold in your mouth and you have to work to get the sound just right so you can fool the birds. He got good results a couple years in a row.

This meant, of course, lots of practice. So my friend would be practicing with this thing for weeks ahead of turkey season. Pretty soon all the other hunters in the shop got out their turkey calls to practice too. They'd all be making bird noises back and forth and whenever I went out back the whole place sounded like it was full of turkeys. I loved working with those guys.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:36 pm

peripat wrote:...and completely unable to understand/accept that there might be a point of view that is different from their own, a sort of cultural blindness that tends to make them look idiotic outside of their own carefully drawn lines.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:53 pm

bdog wrote:
peripat wrote:...and completely unable to understand/accept that there might be a point of view that is different from their own, a sort of cultural blindness that tends to make them look idiotic outside of their own carefully drawn lines.

I don't get it.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:10 pm

Re: Chief Wray Steps Down

TheBookPolice wrote:And with that, the Audrey Seiler story finally ends.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Thank you Sno for sharing this, very relevant...
Re: Hiroshima Day
by snoqueen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:57 pm

My parents were both on the Manhattan Project and met at the Oak Ridge Tenn. facility, marrying (and conceiving me) shortly after the end of the war. I grew up hearing lots of Oak Ridge stories and inherited a few Oak Ridge souvenirs when they passed away.

Security was very tight, and the personnel at the facility had no idea what they were building and were even forbidden to discuss their own work among themselves. It seems, given the times, people followed this rule even in private. Only when the bombs were dropped did the civilian and military personnel find out what they'd been working on. I think only General Groves, the top physicists, and a few others really knew what was going on and everyone else was on a need-to-know basis and nothing more.

My parents went back and forth for years about whether the bombing prevented even more loss of life, or was plain wrong. My father believed the former, my mother the latter. They never argued bitterly (they were sensible and realistic people) but never came to any agreement in the over 50 years they were married. So to read the rehash on these pages kind of makes me sigh and roll my eyes, because I grew up with the same endless questioning and what-ifs beginning with my earliest memories.

I wish the US would follow through with occasionally-heard plans to declare Oak Ridge a national park (it's very beautiful land) or a national monument so people could visit, remember the war and its victims, and consider the moral implications of the bombs in a more public way. The nation really has not faced up to this part of its history (but then, we aren't even finished with the War Between the States). In a way Germany is going through a similar historical review as the WWII generation dies off and younger people are more willing to look at and discuss their country's history.

These are very slow, multi-generational processes and the end state is not to declare right or wrong so much as to somehow put the issue to rest -- a hard-to-define but recognizable condition that can't be willed but instead has to be allowed when the time is right.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Thank you...
Re: The gun thread
by admin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:37 pm

And with 122 pages and over 1800 posts in this one thread, it seems time to kill it off.
Feel free to start 'The Gun Thread II', 'Son of Gun Thread', 'Godzilla vs Gun Thread' or 'Gun Thread Does Dallas'.
But this one needs to be done.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com