MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Best of TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Best of TDPF

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 pm

I loved all of this exchange...
Detritus wrote:
bdog wrote:
___ wrote:Has anyone pointed out that people like nofpssinwisconsin are far more dangerous than any violent video game?

Awesome userid!

It underscores the value of anonymity.

Nice collective effort.
It is sad how we have been taught away from the potential (and unexpected yields) of such collective acts.
Such is life,
It is hard to see good in every situation.
It is very important to see it emerge.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:01 am

nofpssinwisconsin wrote:At least cigarettes may have
some socially redeeming qualities such as increasing productivity. And people don't kill children after smoking too much.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:My favorite discussion with a true believer involved a Biblical literalist. They challenged me to name a single example of the The Bible being factually wrong. I decided I'd be better off with something innocuous rather than anything of actual religious importance. Here's how it went:

"The Bible says that grasshoppers have four legs."
"That is true."
"No, they have six legs."
"If The Bible says they have only four, then it is true."
{At this point, I posted a picture of a grasshopper}
"We can both agree this is a grasshopper, right?"
"Yes."
"It very clearly has six legs, wouldn't you agree?"
"No, it has four legs and two arms."

Thus endeth the lesson.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Very nice post.
Behold! -
Re: Ted Cruz, R-TX
by hellogoodbye » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:30 pm

I honestly can't figure out if what we observed was Ted jumping the shark.

It appears that his flagellation was representative of a, "decline in quality that is beyond recovery, which is usually a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest."

But this just may be the start. Can't imagine what the campaign literature in WI will be like with Ryan, Walker & Cruz trying to out "whatever it is they do" each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:It's possible to rock out a Neil Diamond song, of course, it's just something Neil Diamond has never done himself.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:58 am

Huckleby wrote:On the negative side, he has the slowest release of any QB I've seen in my life. It's like watching Tai Chi.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Re: Willy Street closed due to gas leak
green union terrace chair wrote:
Did you know that natural gas has no natural odor? An artificial odor is added to help aid in the detection of leaks.

I dare somebody to write a letter to the Co-op newsletter demanding that they switch to all-natural, organic natural gas.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Well, I have to say this exchange puts the RW & Mr. Norquist's obsession with the gun into a better frame for me.
I find this an odd obsession with an old, yet deadly, technology.
Thnx
MH
rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:This were I think I'm having a hard time with this issue. It's not that I don't think that the women were terrified but rather I don't think there is any evidence that the protesters were intentionally acting to terrorize anyone. Doing so would actively counter their stated goal of making people aware and comfortable with the idea of open carry.

That's why they didn't point their guns at them. It's much MUCH better terrorism if you do it and get away with it. Hawkhead pretty much summarized my position. They knew where those women would be, so they went there "to take pictures."

That is how you remind the powerless where the power is.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:05 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
kurt_w wrote:Not only has there been a hiatus, there have been a whole bunch of hiatuses, one after another!

Well, good. I guess this is progress.

A couple days ago you were denying that warming had paused. Now I guess you are agreeing that it has. I am pretty sure you are not agreeing that it has paused permanently

Or, by the graph above, it has not only paused, it has trended negative since about 2002 (year?).

John Henry

Seriously, I thought Sandi's previous comments in the thread were worth a few chuckles, but THIS post was laugh-out-loud funny.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:49 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Stella_Guru wrote:So how is it Kurt, that Democrats support Republican policy with such enthusiasm?

There are some republican policies that are worse than doing nothing. (The Iraq war, for example.)

Obamacare is not in that category. It is less than I would like, but better than nothing.

It allows millions of young people to be covered under their parents' insurance. It allows millions more to be covered under Medicaid. It provides subsidies for low-income households to purchase insurance. It guarantees that people with pre-existing conditions have the right to buy insurance like anyone else. And there is more, much of it good.

I do not have Huckleby's degree of enthusiasm, but I agree with him that it is (a) much better than the status quo ante, (b) likely to become better over time, and (c) probably the only approach the US Congress would realistically have voted for.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:...I had not thought about it deeply.

One of the best, and easily the most underutilized, phrases from ol' JH.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:20 am

snoqueen wrote:
Beaver wrote: I don't recall ever hearing of a rapist who worked at other prominent Madison employers like UW, Meriter, American Family, CUNA, DOT, etc., unless they were a janitor or something.

Somehow I find this comment a little weird. I'm not going to spend a couple hours doing the research, but there have to be cases where somebody at, say, UW and in a professional a level position got accused of serious sexual misconduct. Perhaps it got called harassment and was handled quietly as a personnel matter. Maybe they hired better lawyers and managed to keep the whole thing off the front page. But the level of a person's employment doesn't define their character or propensity for criminality.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:52 pm

Re: Issa: "You need to watch more Fox"
by peripat » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Not to mention that if you are into conspiracy theories you must remember that the FOX is a European Trickster figure

As to the MSNBC business,
I think it best to apply caution in attending to echoes from ALL corners.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Re: Shrub Removal Tips

Remember_Me wrote:C4.
Ttusker

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:20 pm

Re: U.S. No Longer In Top Ten For Economic Freedom
by peripat » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:29 pm

You know, it just occurs to me that if freedom is really just another word for nothing left to lose the powers that be are expecting to be thanked for freeing so many people.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com