MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Best of TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Best of TDPF

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Bludgeon wrote:
other i wrote:You guys listen to the radio?

Beats whistling, after the first 5 minutes of whistling anyway.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:41 am

Re: "15 differences between Dems & Reps"
by Detritus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:12 pm

This kind of thing would make more sense if the authors clearly separated Democrats/Republicans in terms of the people who vote for politicians of certain parties and in terms of the politicians in those parties who hold power. For example, I don't believe that most Democratic voters believe in the national security state at all to the extent that Democratic politicians in Congress and the White House seem to, and polling makes it clear that Republican voters are not as batshit crazy about shutting down the government (and the economy) as the teaper clique in the House. Moreover, there is no daylight between the two sets of politicians when it comes to the corporatization of public education and the demonization of working teachers, despite rather large differences between the two corresponding groups in the voting public.

Without this kind of differentiation, all the author has done is transferred NFL team loyalty into the political sphere, which makes for a stable audience but ultimately feeds only the corporate sponsors, team owners, media outlets, and a handful of millionaire players.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:58 am

Detritus wrote:
Maggie wrote:As for myself, I would like to see a miniature golf course at the vacant lot at Union Corners.

Only if combined with an off-leash dog park, just to make the games more interesting.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Thank you WillyStMadMan, I now better understand something important and -
I better recognize the efforts of your (former?) trade.
WillyStMadMan wrote:Re: tipping
by WillyStMadMan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:40 am

Got a few thoughts on this...
As a former server at a glorious corporate establishment, I can assure you that restaurants are not required to pay servers any more than $2.33/hr.
Ever.
There is no raise system.
I also had to tip out the bartender and the host, based on my sales, not my tips.
So right away, if you tip 15%, that's not what I get.
I get 12%.
Carryout.
I tend to tip.
At that restaurant, it didn't make sense because the bartender would cash out the customer, yet rarely put the order together.
At a primarily carryout venue, I do tip when I grab my order.
Not based on conversation always, cause I know that most people show up to work to pay bills. Not be my new best friend.
I tip because I plan to spend this amount of money for my meal.
And typically, my meal is less than I expected to spend.
People tend to think of the service industry as low-skill.
I think we've all gotten completely horrible service.
And over-the-top phony service.
Service is a skill, and I don't mind tipping a buck or two or five for carryout, especially when I see that middle-ground establishment where I genuinely feel comfortable and the food is tasty.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:54 pm

Mad Howler wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Why don't you bring him some binoculars to look through some afternoon? He might get a kick out of it.

I've been through this -- there are all different ways to pass the time with demented people and it can be enjoyable once you give up trying to make sense and just go with it.

You probably know that you aim at goodness.
Thank you for habitually bringing it.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Dangerousman wrote:It's interesting how Fred Phelps' death and speculation about his whereabouts or fate makes us ponder and share our beliefs. If you believe God disliked Fred Phelp's enough to condemn him to an eternity of Hell, then you may want to ask if your god is looking a lot like the fag-hating Fred Phelps himself.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:35 am

Re: This missing plane
by Shorty » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm actually enjoying the plane news coverage. It's sad for the victims and families so I don't enjoy that part. But the pilots, crime experts, and talking heads are interesting. My favorite may be Richard Quest, or as I call him, Dick Quest. He is a character. This is from 2008:

Richard Quest, CNN Reporter, Arrested On Drug Charges
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/1 ... 97466.html
"CNN personality Richard Quest was busted in Central Park early yesterday with some drugs in his pocket, a rope around his neck that was tied to his genitals, and a sex toy in his boot, law-enforcement sources said."

Not all that long ago JJ had his subjective list of the best.
He did allow that the best in his mind, that did not make his list,
Visited with comment more rarely.
I would prefer more frequent comment from...
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Small town papers still publish every traffic ticket issued. Hell they still will report that "Charley Jones' family had relatives for dinner." Hmmm... I suppose cannibalism is newsworthy.....
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 am

wack wack wrote:Why not go to $20 or $30 or $40 per hour minimum wage, jfh? Weak reductio ad absurdum aside, the answer is that there is a point of balance, and going too far one way will be no more beneficial than being too far the other way (where we are now).

You assume that because conservatives want it all for themselves, the liberals must also want it all for themselves. This is not the case. Liberals are looking for the balance which leads to the best economic and social environment for all. Yes, all, even for the conservatives who clearly don't understand.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 pm

SombreroFallout wrote:Don't get me wrong, I've been a big John Paul Stevens fan ever since I first heard the bass line on 'Ramble On'.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:57 pm

I don't have any one zingy sentence or paragraph to quote, but Detritus's lengthy and thoughtful comments about the state of higher education are great. (Starting here and continuing).
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:49 pm

So, I want to preface this by looking at what we mean by "Best" of TDPF. If someone was to say that means posts of the highest quality, that are the most thought-provoking, etc., I'd give no argument (in fact that is probably the OP's intent). However, if we were to expand "Best" to include what has caused my mouth to drop wide open, my eyes to bulge, and my head to swivel around with the above-described countenance, this post has just blown my mind:

Sandi wrote:
kurt_w wrote:There is nothing wrong with the moths paper. I have stated as much, which is why your attempt to find fault with it is tomfoolery.

You stated as much, so... The science is settled. Pfft!

"There is nothing wrong with the moth papers."

I told you exactly what is wrong with them. However instead of countering my argument, you can brush it all off with: "There is nothing wrong with the moth papers."

Wow that is really scientific. The science is settled on the moth papers, because kurt says there is nothing wrong with them, and I have stated as much.

Your circular arguments are getting tiresome.

I'm now 2% convinced Sandi is some kind of Andy Kaufman-style genius.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 pm

nutria wrote:I'm now 2% convinced Sandi is some kind of Andy Kaufman-style genius.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:45 am

kurt_w wrote:I don't have any one zingy sentence or paragraph to quote, but Detritus's lengthy and thoughtful comments about the state of higher education are great. (Starting here and continuing).

I was inspired by your illogical warmenist ranting, Kurt, although of course I can't fake science as well as you.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Huckleby wrote:If the purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to arm the citizens against the U.S. Government, then logically jet fighters and missile systems are legitimate and necessary tools of the well-appointed vigilante.

You gun guys are lost in madness.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com