MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Slow week for letters?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Slow week for letters?

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:51 am

So some guy at PETA Googles "milk" every day and happens to pull up the raw milk cover story from 1/29. He pulls out his boilerplate, adds a few words to make it sound like he read the thing, and fires it off via e-mail. Total time elapsed: 5 minutes.

I should have guessed this from the frequency by which Kevin Barrett appears, but is that all one has to do to get a letter printed?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Slow week for letters?

Postby blueders » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Isthmus tries to publish ALL letters that it receives in response to stories that appear in our pages, unless said letters are just too unclear or are submitted without the requisite contact information. Almost all letters get pared down in length, as was the PETA letter, but we do not decide which letters see print based on own assessment of their content. However irksome this is to you, it does represent a rather unusual and arguably commendable commitment on Isthmus' part to accomodating the reactions of its readers.
blueders

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:15 pm

How about the guy this week who is upset that there were no black kids in the cover art for the Bad Teachers article. It "encourages white people to assume that everyone else is white, or at least they should be".

So you're assuming that we're all idiots, because only an idiot would make that assumption based on a picture in the newspaper.

I'm assuming Brian Juchems needs a date or a hobby.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:48 pm

I think that was a legitimate complaint...definitely an issue in a school system like Wisconsin where black kids fail at epic levels...as in 'we expect the black kids to fail & that obviously isn't the teachers fault but when the white kids are failing too it must be the teachers' I suppose you could say whoever drew/approved that just knew their audience
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:19 am

I suppose I would say that whoever drew/approved that picture just needed a picture of a chaotic classroom and never gave any thought to who should all be represented amongst the children. And if 2 out of the 5 kids portrayed had been black, what do you think the chances are that Mr. Juchems would have had a problem with them being stereotyped as the troublemakers?

Where's that thread about stuff that is "sooooooo Madison"?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:27 am

You really should have photoshopped in a black kid.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Stomach wrote:You really should have photoshopped in a black kid.

As in...
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:04 pm

When I worked for the University as an illustrator years and years ago, the mandate to show diversity was just catching on. The order went out, "remember to race 'em" meaning show different races in your classroom drawings. OK, fair enough. We learned to draw black people that didn't look like shaded-in white people, and that was a good thing. (This was before the evolution of Asians, at least Asians in Wisconsin. You had your whites, and you had your blacks.)

Then people started to complain about WHICH drawings we "raced." You couldn't have the black figures doing anything bad, demeaning, or even ordinary. It got pretty near impossible to please everybody.

I figured this was why the Isthmus illustration only showed white kids. The idea was to draw kids doing bad things, and you can't show black kids doing bad things or you get everyone's undies in a knot. So the drawing just showed whites.

It's the ya-can't-win principle in operation.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 am

They're all the color of paper, in my eyes.

But then, I'm enlightened like that.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Two of the kids are redheads. Clearly, that's why they're troublesome.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com