MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Warner Park Prarie relocation

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Warner Park Prarie relocation

Postby freia1 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:59 pm

This is from the 4/1 issue. I am disgusted that the city and the park would listen to complaints that the small bit of prairie by the entrance to Warner Park is considred ugly and are making the people who worked on it for 5 yrs remove it. I think lawn is ugly. Would my complaints to replace grass with native perennials be taken seriously by Parks/City, no, probably not. I am sending a letter of complaint to Laura Whitmore and Warner Park administration telling them to leave the prairie be and encourage you to do the same. Email for both is
parks@cityofmadison.com
freia1

Re: Warner Park Prarie relocation

Postby freia1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:28 pm

This is the letter I sent to them
Dear Madison City Parks, (Laura Whitmore and Brad Weisinger)

We read about the city's order to remove the prairie by the Warner Park parking lot in the Isthmus (4/1/10). We are absolutely appalled that in this age of environmental consciousness and literally on the anniversary of Earth Day, you would be asking to remove what was once a native Wisconsin landscape. We totally agree with Mr. Cannon of Madison Audubon (we are also MAS members) that grass has become the norm. Now is the time to say no to grass, not to kow tow to complaints of unenlightened people who probably poison and spray their monoculture of lawn. Can you imagine if the tables were turned and we complained that Warner park has too much grass and it looks ugly? Would anyone in facilities management actually remove the grass and replant with native prairie due to the complaint? Probably not. To be perfectly frank, Warner park does have too much grass and even that old building across the street has the biggest waste of lawn mowing - the huge hill that is mowed could be replanted with native plants. We have to get out of that 18th century paradigm that grass is the norm. It is not. We can increase bird and small mammal habitat right here in the city by encouraging people to plant native vegetation, NOT punishing them for it. There is no reason to move the prarie, leave it be - people coming into the park can first hand see what Wisconsin used to look like. A progressive city should have a progressive parks administration. Dont pander to a minority of complainers who think of anything but grass as a weed. Please reconsider this order and let the hard work of the volunteers over the past 5 yrs remain where it is and at the same time decrease the amt of grass that is at Warner.

Sincerely
Freia1
PS We do not know Rose Ann Scott's email, but would appreciate our email of support being passed to her. Our yard is entirely degrassed. Over the past 12 years, we ceased mowing the lawn and let native plants flourish. As a result we have a microhabitat of birds and small mammals who consider our backyard a haven and a food source.
freia1

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com