MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

enough with the stealth pop-up ads already!

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

enough with the stealth pop-up ads already!

Postby gozer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:41 am

one per page loaded? jesus christ! one could probably clog up and/or crash a cray xt4 connected to an oc 768 pipe after a lengthy session. try that with a 56k modem or a 9600 baud analogue connexion up in the mountains.

by the way, is the person in the hat in the stoughton opera house ad don imus?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: enough with the stealth pop-up ads already!

Postby jjoyce » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 am

You're not getting pop-up or pop-under campaigns on this site, amigo. Might want to cleanse your machine of spyware.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:31 pm

jjoyce wrote:You're not getting pop-up or pop-under campaigns on this site, amigo. Might want to cleanse your machine of spyware.

thank u for the information -- it appears the pop-ups in question appear to be coming from one and only one linked advertisement, for farm aid -- both the windows 2000 and unix machines do it. however, when i did an experiment with firefox i was able to to get a single pop-up when it appeared on the top of the page.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:10 pm

So, I go to the nifty Obama visit article (not to be confused with the annoying & unreadable live blog) and check out the photos. Very nice photos except that the H & R Carpet ad stays popped up over the entire right side of screen, over the photos.

Our company's computer guru tells me that the latest thing for baddies to do is to purchase ad space on legit websites and/or search engines and to maliciously encode their pop-up ads to infiltrate computers.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:14 pm

supaunknown wrote:Our company's computer guru tells me that the latest thing for baddies to do is to purchase ad space on legit websites and/or search engines and to maliciously encode their pop-up ads to infiltrate computers.

There was a fairly nasty somethingorother somewhere here on Monday. Took my work PC out of commission for two days. Yesterday, I saw a very ugly and clearly spammy skyscraper ad on a Forum page. And an extra-window applet pop-up that disappeared as soon as I navigated away from the page. Haven't seen either since.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:05 am

What was up with that one ad with audio? Crap. I want my co-workers to think I am actually working.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am

juanton wrote:What was up with that one ad with audio? Crap. I want my co-workers to think I am actually working.

That's the same one I was talking about above. I must have had my volume down the first time I saw the ad; this time, not so much.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:54 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Our company's computer guru tells me that the latest thing for baddies to do is to purchase ad space on legit websites and/or search engines and to maliciously encode their pop-up ads to infiltrate computers.

There was a fairly nasty somethingorother somewhere here on Monday. Took my work PC out of commission for two days. Yesterday, I saw a very ugly and clearly spammy skyscraper ad on a Forum page. And an extra-window applet pop-up that disappeared as soon as I navigated away from the page. Haven't seen either since.

I had the same thing happen to mine Monday. Opening either Yahoo or DPF resulted in looping pop-ups. One particularly nasty bugger eventually took over. Had to call in the guru. I'm religious about doing what I can to keep my computer free from unwanted infiltration, but you should've seen all the little critters he found hiding. He blamed Eastern European mobsters for the maliciousness (?).

Note to Euro Mobsters: If you go through all the efforts to make fake-yet-somewhat-legit-looking anti-virus pop-ups appear before me hoping I will be gullible enough to supply you with my credit card info, please spend the extra few seconds it takes to SPELL CZECH the damn thing!

[hippy]
Seems like a whole lot of misspent skills to create these worms/viruses. The people that author these things are obviously intelligent, so why do they put all that effort into doing something destructive? Why not put all that brilliance into making the world a better place?
[/hippy]
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:23 pm

supaunknown wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

I had the same thing happen to mine Monday. Opening either Yahoo or DPF resulted in looping pop-ups. One particularly nasty bugger eventually took over. Had to call in the guru. I'm religious about doing what I can to keep my computer free from unwanted infiltration, but you should've seen all the little critters he found hiding. He blamed Eastern European mobsters for the maliciousness (?).

Note to Euro Mobsters: If you go through all the efforts to make fake-yet-somewhat-legit-looking anti-virus pop-ups appear before me hoping I will be gullible enough to supply you with my credit card info, please spend the extra few seconds it takes to SPELL CZECH the damn thing!

[hippy]
Seems like a whole lot of misspent skills to create these worms/viruses. The people that author these things are obviously intelligent, so why do they put all that effort into doing something destructive? Why not put all that brilliance into making the world a better place?
[/hippy]

My previous band's web page was a MS Frontpage HTML template fronted site with a button called "Control Center." If you clicked on it, the Javascript would figure out your screen's resolution and then recursively(sort of) open Alert boxes at random coordinates forever with a stupid message. We let it run on a Linux box at work one day and it crashed the OS.

Now, that was my kind of band website.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:53 pm

According to prior conversations we've had on malicious or intrusive advertising, I believe several of you will no longer be visiting this site now, correct?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:55 pm

Well, if Jason doesn't get Private Messages working soon...
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:09 pm

TAsunder wrote:According to prior conversations we've had on malicious or intrusive advertising, I believe several of you will no longer be visiting this site now, correct?

Shit, I never said anything resembling that. Unfortunately for everyone else, I ain't no quitter. :)

Now where's my cutesy avatar?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Looks like a couple things are happening here:

1. We had a nasty breach of our ad server earlier this week, which resulted in a malware script being attached to a bunch of our ads. Many machines were thus infected, we're embarrassed and apologize. It didn't take long for us to fix it, but we definitely heard from people.

2. Our ad server allows us to accept remnant ads if the cost-per-thousand exceeds a certain amount. 99 times out of 100, we turn it off, but every once in a while, the box for that option stays checked and we end up serving a few hundred remnant ads. Maybe you've seen the one for Constant Contact. That's also fixed now.

3. The H&R carpets ad simply wasn't set to be transparent, or whatever is required so our lightbox photo gallery displays over the top of it, instead of vice-versa. We fixed that, too.

We're learning a lot about advertising this week, it appears.

On the positive side, traffic to the article about Harlan Ellison last week made our pageviews graph look like a hockey stick (Roger Ebert Twittered it, among others). Several years ago, an article was heavily linked on Digg and it took the site down for a half day. In this case, there were no interruptions, indicating that our server and bandwidth are pretty solid. Now, if I can just pull my head out of my butt for a full day, the site should operate fabulously.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:41 pm

That was a really good article; Glad it caused the spike. I'm kind of surprised anyone would attribute a roger ebert tweet to such popularity, though! That guy tweets so many goddamn times per day I had to stop following him in order to save my iphoning thumb from exhaustion due to having to scroll through my feed for so long to get to one that WASN'T by roger ebert.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Props to you, Jason, about being so open about the problems and challenges you had this week AND for having a plan of action to take care of it.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com