MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bodies: The Exhibition AS CRITIC'S CHOICE?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Bodies: The Exhibition AS CRITIC'S CHOICE?

Postby jennibiird » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:10 pm

I don't mean to be a prude or anything, but REALLY?!?

I was surprised that the knock-off exhibit of exploited Chinese prisoners would even come to Madison, let alone get picked as an Isthmus Critic's choice.

This is by the same exhibit company that had their entire exhibit confiscated and given a proper burial in France, that's been banned from a number of countries in Europe, as well as legislation to ban it from a number of U.S. cities and states that it has visited.

$25 million to the Dalian Medical University Plastination Laboratories in the People's Republic of China for 'rental' of enough bodies for multiple traveling exhibits, all 'legally obtained'? Legally obtained if you include any body the police have, because it's unidentified, unknown or a prisoner is considered fair game.

Maybe we'll see the newest Nobel winner in the next Bodies Expo.
jennibiird

Re: Bodies: The Exhibition AS CRITIC'S CHOICE?

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:44 pm

My hope is that this one post is enough to cure all the human rights violations that occurred, are occurring, or will occur.

Light=Brought.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm glad someone else feels this way. I think the whole idea is creepy beyond words. Giving the bodies a decent burial was long-overdue decency.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:04 pm

I think burying bodies is creepy beyond words.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:17 pm

I also had mixed feelings about seeing these bodies, especially because of stories about their origin. And paying to see it also.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:58 am

China exploiting parts of dead things? Get outta here!

Hey, pass me some tiger penis before you go.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:48 am

I've heard of this show only in passing. I couldn't believe the US government would allow a show that even MIGHT be the final humiliation of dead prisoners, to open anywhere in the country. Nor that Isthmus would promote it as though there were no controversy at all.

And yet they do. This is troubling.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Maybe the fact I don't have as much time as I used to to keep up on the news has finally caught up to me, but this is the first I've heard of the bodies in this exhibit being ... er ... obtained by less than ethical means. So ...

Could one of you maybe post a fucking link to a credible source on that? Inquiring minds and all ...

'Cause I really was considering checking this out. And yeah, what bdog said. Anyone who's been to an open casket wake without reservation who thinks this is creepy (present allegations aside) needs to have his/her head examined. At least there's some educational payoff here. But breaking someone's bones to cram them in a casket? Draining their bodily fluids and pumping their organs full of synthetics and formaldehyde? Sewing their lips together can pretend they died peacefully?

Yeah, all a matter of "honoring" our dead, right?
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Here everyone, I've done your homework for you:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... e-1241931/

Troubling, perhaps, but hardly conclusive the way I read this. I'll just say that I hope anyone who's expended any energy bemoaning this treatment of these so-called remains is 1000 times as active in advocating human rights for the living in China.

This seems like a bit of misplaced outrage, if you ask me. But I'm a cold bastard that way, I guess.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:48 pm

I saw Body Worlds when it was on exhibit at the Milwaukee Public Museum two years ago. Absolutely fascinating. The human body is constantly astonishing.

This is not that production.

At the time, I researched the source of cadavers, and it was constantly reinforced (both through the web site, the press reports, and posters on-site) that all had been obtained through explicit donations.

However, Bodies... The Exhibition is definitely more controversial. From the Body Worlds wiki (ok yes, the competitor's wiki, but I also read it in other sources):

Unlike Body Worlds, none of the competing exhibitions or their suppliers has a body donation programme. Dr. Roy Glover, a spokesperson for 'Bodies ... The exhibition' stated that the bodies were 'unclaimed' cadavers [55] deposited at the University of Dalian by the Chinese authorities. In May 2008, a settlement with the attorney general of New York obliged Premier Exhibitions to offer refunds to visitors when it could not prove consent for the use of the bodies in its exhibitions. New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo commented: "Despite repeated denials, we now know that Premier itself cannot demonstrate the circumstances that led to the death of the individuals. Nor is Premier able to establish that these people consented to their remains being used in this manner."[56]

I'm not personally opposed to the (non-smelly) display of cadavers-- it's all dead meat at that point, after all. I am, however, opposed to financially rewarding the supply chain for "questionable" bodies.

Hoping I didn't choose wrongly.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:37 am

I'm still wrestling with the implication that if I'm not throwing all of my energy into the International Human Rights movement, I have no right to bemoan the fact that my country - and Isthmus - is quite possibly helping another government put the bodies of executed dissidents on public display for profit.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 am

rabble wrote:I'm still wrestling with the implication that if I'm not throwing all of my energy into the International Human Rights movement, I have no right to bemoan the fact that my country - and Isthmus - is quite possibly helping another government put the bodies of executed dissidents on public display for profit.

Let me first say that I do find this issue troubling and I appreciate ilikebeans's post which I believe sheds light on a significant source of my confusion surrounding all this. I had previously been wondering where this outrage had come from suddenly, but I believe I was treating the two different exhibits as one.

But, rabble, nowhere did I say you have "no right" to object to this exhibit or the hype it has garnered herein. So please stop fucking putting words in my mouth. I was just trying to address the broader point already touched upon that I think our morbid sentimentality surrounding the dead is part of the underlying psychosis of this country and a big part of the reason we can't seem to get our fucking priorities in line or ever really live up to our ideals.

If that's too abstract a comment for this thread, I apologize. I didn't realize tangents were taboo on a freakin' web forum. I'll try not to disrupt the single-mindedness of threads like this one henceforth.

I do think that the human rights advocates among us should fret less about how someone's remains are treated than we do how the living are being subjugated and mistreated. Frankly, I'm far more concerned about how political prisoners are treated while they're still breathing. If that point is lost on on this crowd, then I really don't desire to debate it any further.

Based on the evidence presented, I'll avoid this exhibit and kindly thank everyone for bringing the issue to my attention. But I'm sufficiently outraged about China's treatment of its workers and dissidents and their profiting from our flawed economic model that I just don't have a lot of energy to expend worrying about how they've deprived a few worms of a meal for fun and profit. Is it depraved? No more than I've come to expect from that piece of shit government. So forgive my absence of shock and dismay that a country that tortures the living would exploit its dead.

Maybe Isthmus should run a piece that brings this issue broader attention. Atonement is never a bad thing.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:27 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:But, rabble, nowhere did I say you have "no right" to object to this exhibit or the hype it has garnered herein. So please stop fucking putting words in my mouth.

I'll just say that I hope anyone who's expended any energy bemoaning this treatment of these so-called remains is 1000 times as active in advocating human rights for the living in China.

There's some fucking words you put in your own fucking mouth. You can refuse to understand the meaning of "imply" all you want.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:53 am

I saw 'Body Worlds' at the Museum of Science and Industry as well. I recall reading descriptions and disclaimers placed alongside the corpses stating consent of use of the body after death. If this was a lie, I never knew it. I also recall the promoter publicizing a disclaimer in order to counter a lot of the propagated lies aimed at the exhibit in order to discredit it.

I believe the OP is making a different point here. Apparently, 'Bodies... The Exhibition' is a different organizer using different corpses that were possibly attained unethically.

The clone exhibit is ill conceived and creepy. The Isthmus tabloid should admit to its ignorance and apologize.
HOMOsapien

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 pm

rabble wrote:
Uncle_Leaver wrote:But, rabble, nowhere did I say you have "no right" to object to this exhibit or the hype it has garnered herein. So please stop fucking putting words in my mouth.

I'll just say that I hope anyone who's expended any energy bemoaning this treatment of these so-called remains is 1000 times as active in advocating human rights for the living in China.

There's some fucking words you put in your own fucking mouth. You can refuse to understand the meaning of "imply" all you want.

Please point to the phrase "no right" in my statement. Is "1000 times" hyperbole? Maybe. Still not the same as "no right" though and I'm pretty fucking comfortable with my grip on semantics, thanks.

But thanks for completely ignoring the point I was making in favor of nursing your easily bruised ego. Guess there's no merit to anything I've said ... so you just keeping reaching for that rainbow and advocating for the dead. Let me know where that gets ya.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com