MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Linda Baldwin fires desperate salvo for OC

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Linda Baldwin fires desperate salvo for OC

Postby Stomach » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:12 am

Nick Berigan wrote:Actually more than that she didn't ask me what I wanted to see, I was bothered by the fact that she couldn't just describe the process of determining the acts. I still have this question. This should be able to be generally described in not too many words.

Can anyone tell me how acts are chosen?

Why don't you call her? She did offer to speak to you on the phone, right? I don't mean that to sound smart-ass, you are asking for her time so you may have to play by her rules, so to speak. I'd be interested in what they have to say about bookings.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:56 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Sell the naming rights for a fee equal to the city's cost for annual maintenance. Maybe Oscar Meyer will pay for the whole shebang.

Seriously.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:59 pm

How about the "Rocky Rococo Deep Dish Performing Arts Center"?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Sell the naming rights for a fee equal to the city's cost for annual maintenance. Maybe Oscar Meyer will pay for the whole shebang.

Seriously.

The funny thing about that is I still usually refer to the Capitol Theater as "it used to be the Oscar Mayer Theater".
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm going to point out something that should be obvious. Tickets to OC events are purchased with disposable income. Madison has an awful lot of people who work for state government. Those people are going to see very significant reductions in their disposable income over the next few years. Just ask Scott Walker.

This will impact OC in two ways. 1. People with less disposable income won't have as much of it to send Overture's way, and 2. There will be a lot more resistance to future taxpayer-funded subsidies, because taxes are going to hurt more.

People need to be aware of these effects. It is hard to watch, but Madison is in the process of becoming a poorer community, and that means that we may not be able to continue to afford some of the amenities we're accustomed to.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:44 am

Henry Vilas wrote:

Seriously.

From Linda Baldwin's letter to the Council yesterday:

One issue that has not been raised but is critical to the Overture parties including donors is concurrence by the City and the Overture boards with the recorded Deed Restriction (Document # 4123848) placing restrictions on the naming or identifying of areas within Overture Center for the Arts and an agreement to not seek an amendment to such deed restriction in the future.

Sorry Henry, there will not be an Oscar Meyer Weiner.

Odd that she would include that just as were discussing it.

Here is the letter in it's entirety.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:50 pm

When it comes to lawyering, those people were BUSY. When it comes to real-world smarts about running the place, not so much.

Why am I not surprised?

But it's kind of sad, and we seem to be stuck with it. Nobody with any real-world entertainment experience books a drum line show (which sounds like it was great) against a major football game. The football schedule is available like a year in advance. What's going on up there?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:50 pm

snoqueen wrote:Nobody with any real-world entertainment experience books a drum line show (which sounds like it was great) against a major football game. The football schedule is available like a year in advance. What's going on up there?

I lovez me some football, but not everyone in this town does. What are you inferring about who would want to see this show.

Stomach wrote:The funny thing about that is I still usually refer to the Capitol Theater as "it used to be the Oscar Mayer Theater".

Who gives a shit. Names change all the time.

snoqueen wrote:But it's kind of sad, and we seem to be stuck with it.

Instead of saying we are "stuck with it" why don't people say we should try and figure out how to make it feasible.

I am so amazed how people shit on the arts in this town. Look at the arts section in the forum. It is anemic. I've lived here a long time and to this day I still say the attitude towards art in this town is pathetic. This thread proves my point.

Kudos on being so progressive and liberal.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 am

Stebben84 wrote:Istead of saying we are "stuck with it" why don't people say we should try and figure out how to make it feasible.

Simple. Run on a smaller staff that are paid less. If mainstream acts are more profitable, book more of them to offset the shows that lose money. And oh yeah - build a smaller Overture center.

The third one *should* be the only one that is impossible at this point, but I bet they won't be able to figure out the other two either.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 am

Stebben84 wrote:I am so amazed how people shit on the arts in this town. Look at the arts section in the forum. It is anemic. I've lived here a long time and to this day I still say the attitude towards art in this town is pathetic. This thread proves my point.

Kudos on being so progressive and liberal.

I'll be sure to tell the folks at the Bartell that I'm "shitting on the arts" when I'm there this weekend. Cause, you know, if you're not at OC, you're nowhere.

Overcharge Center for the Egos is not synonymous with Art.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 am

Stebben acts like somebody shit is his/her coffee.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:34 am

bdog wrote:I'll be sure to tell the folks at the Bartell that I'm "shitting on the arts" when I'm there this weekend. Cause, you know, if you're not at OC, you're nowhere.

I wasn't implying that the OC is the end all be all. I'm just frustrated that is seems like so many people want this place to fail and turn it into a fucking library or something(brought up in other threads)

bdog wrote:Overcharge Center for the Egos is not synonymous with Art.

Pretty much everyone I know who goes to the OC are families or middle class folks. They may not go every weekend, but they're given an opportunity to see performances and shows that would have maybe come as close as Milwaukee.

Stomach wrote:Stebben acts like somebody shit is his/her coffee.

It was possibly in my cocktail.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:23 am

Stebben84 wrote:Pretty much everyone I know who goes to the OC are families or middle class folks. They may not go every weekend, but they're given an opportunity to see performances and shows that would have maybe come as close as Milwaukee.

Isn't this kind of the problem? I like the OC and I've seen two concerts and one play there so far this year, but that's above average for me. The majority of events aren't really aimed at my demographic. I go out a good amount, just not to the Overture. Maybe solely targeting the older richer family segment of the market isn't the best idea?
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 am

Stebben84 wrote:Kudos on being so progressive and liberal.

Kudos on being such an insufferable, sanctimonious knuckle-fuck.

It's funny, I was out last weekend driving around and drifted past the old Frautschi place. There was Jerry, sitting on his front lawn behind a box labeled "free kittens." I drove right on by.

I would hope the next time some self-important, rich douchebag with a heightening sense of his own mortality and feverish need to see his name etched in marble before he kicks over attempts to gift us with another "free" kitten that we'll have the sense to direct him to the nearest watering hole with instructions to drown the little fucker.

Yet, somehow I doubt we've learned our lesson here (c.f. Taj Garage).

Oh, and betting your endowment on the stock market is something I suspect the average meth addict would identify as an amateur move. Whoever made that brilliant decision should get a public flogging. They could sell tickets. I'd buy a shitload.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Oh, and betting your endowment on the stock market is something I suspect the average meth addict would identify as an amateur move. Whoever made that brilliant decision should get a public flogging. They could sell tickets. I'd buy a shitload.

This is the kind of show that would make money. I'd pay $100.00, non-subsidized price, for those tickets.
HOMOsapien

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com